Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It is no secret that doctors have a financial interest in selling their patients expensive new drugs, now many made in china, so we avoid them as much as possible, regardless of the marketing media non sense. They make billions by scaring people into thinking that have some magic cure which in some cases will make you worse. Nothing new, it has been around for centuries.
Better yet, they put the FEAR in people of what they may have that could lead to death, so take our drugs.

I'm thinking of cholesterol and the statin kingdom.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
It is no secret that doctors have a financial interest in selling their patients expensive new drugs, now many made in china, so we avoid them as much as possible, regardless of the marketing media non sense. They make billions by scaring people into thinking that have some magic cure which in some cases will make you worse. Nothing new, it has been around for centuries.
Really?

What's the "financial interest"?

Kickbacks? Cut of the purchase price?

There is no "financial interest" for physicians to prescribe expensive new drugs......

Old 07-23-2016, 01:58 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really?

What's the "financial interest"?

Kickbacks? Cut of the purchase price?

There is no "financial interest" for physicians to prescribe expensive new drugs......
You are correct, never take anything a poster writes as truth but it doesn't take much research....

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/focus-are...the-influence/
t

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
You are correct, never take anything a poster writes as truth but it doesn't take much research....

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/focus-are...the-influence/
t
Your article is from 2001. Drug companies no longer give away anything, not even pens and Post-it notes.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:00 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Doctors would be thrilled if there were no prescription drug advertising.

AMA Calls for Ban on Direct to Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs and Medical Devices

Allowing doctors and hospitals to advertise was predicated on the idea that competition would lower prices. It has not done that.
Interesting! I didn't know about the proposed ban.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:53 PM

The ban hasn't reached the West Coast, as every other ad on TV is for a drug..just the other day a new anti depressant. We don't have enough.

I'll have to watch for the TV drugs to be gone.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting! I didn't know about the proposed ban.
Doctors really do not like for patients to come in asking for specific drugs. They may not have the condition the drug treats or the drug they are asking for may not be the best choice - which might be an inexpensive generic.

Making doctors and hospitals compete with one another (generating massive marketing expenses) does not work, either. For insured patients, the insurance company essentially chooses the doctor and hospital and lab for you.

Remember someone telling us before the ACA was passed that we could keep our doctors if we liked them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The ban hasn't reached the West Coast, as every other ad on TV is for a drug..just the other day a new anti depressant. We don't have enough.

I'll have to watch for the TV drugs to be gone.
There is no ban yet. That will be up to Congress.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Doctors really do not like for patients to come in asking for specific drugs. They may not have the condition the drug treats or the drug they are asking for may not be the best choice - which might be an inexpensive generic.

Making doctors and hospitals compete with one another (generating massive marketing expenses) does not work, either. For insured patients, the insurance company essentially chooses the doctor and hospital and lab for you.

Remember someone telling us before the ACA was passed that we could keep our doctors if we liked them?

There is no ban yet. That will be up to Congress.
It won't happen. Business as usual will continue. Lobby industry has a stranglehold on tv advtg.

And you saying no more drug sales reps coming into MD's offices with their suitcases full of samples to dowel out.

I've seen those lines years ago when I still "believed" in the allopathic world. Haven't seen a drug rep in years where I go to integrative MD's.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It won't happen. Business as usual will continue. Lobby industry has a stranglehold on tv advtg.

And you saying no more drug sales reps coming into MD's offices with their suitcases full of samples to dowel out.

I've seen those lines years ago when I still "believed" in the allopathic world. Haven't seen a drug rep in years where I go to integrative MD's.
I never said that reps do not come, only that they do not leave free things like pens, but they are more likely to leave a coupon for a starter prescription than actual samples. They may bring food at times, but no doctor is going to prescribe a drug just because the rep brings in a dozen doughnuts for the staff.

At any rate, it is patients who benefit from samples, not doctors. They are helpful for patients for whom the drug might be a good choice and it allows the patient to try it before having to pay for it.

Some docs choose not to see reps at all, and they have that prerogative.

Do your "integrative MD's" sell supplements in their offices? Do you see no potential conflict in doing that?

If you want the TV advertising to stop, contact your Congresspersons.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:54 PM

I am pro supplement so that is not for me to answer. I've started with a supp from a doctor's office and then bought my own online for a little less money. I need to shop for my budget.

"your" doctors sell drugs, my type doctors sell supps. An rx if needed.

We'll always disagree as I see it on healthcare.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-23-2016 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness