Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,843 times

Advertisements

I was never a huge soda drinker, compared to some people. I have about 1 can of diet soda daily on average. I read that no major studies have proven aspartame to be harmful, aside from a few individuals who get headaches. A doctor said diet soda is bad because it's a sludgy liquid that could affect blood pressure.

Thoughts? Any heavy diet soda drinkers here?

I'm also mixed on caffeine since I read on one hand it knocks off your sleep cycle, but good to have a caffeinated drink because the process to remove caffeine is harmful?

Why is there so much confusion about which drinks are bad?

I drink coffee, a cup per day, bold with some cream and sugar. I tried decaffeinated and thought it tasted fine, I think it depends on the brand. Should I switch to decaffeinated coffee? I'm 6'0 188lbs trying to lose a bit of weight, I have the food down but confused on these beverages. Bought some powdered bags you mix in water for vitamin C, a bit acidic but good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 03:53 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
If loosing weight is your goal then soda pop ,in general, must be taken off your list of drinks! Believe it or not.

The best replacement is plain old cold water!!

Cold water can become very addictive since it's as guilt free, and very good for your body, than any other drink that is made with water i.e. beer, pop,coffee,hard booze and tea.

Invest in a cold water insulated bottle (or mug/cup) and enjoy a lifetime of refreshing cold water. None better........

Old 08-26-2017, 06:24 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
If loosing weight is your goal then soda pop ,in general, must be taken off your list of drinks! Believe it or not.

The best replacement is plain old cold water!!

Cold water can become very addictive since it's as guilt free, and very good for your body, than any other drink that is made with water i.e. beer, pop,coffee,hard booze and tea.

Invest in a cold water insulated bottle (or mug/cup) and enjoy a lifetime of refreshing cold water. None better........
Today a friend also told me all soda is bad, I guess there's just too much junk in it, though I like carbonated flavor to wash heavy food down, maybe Italian soda now and then? I think I will be quitting soda.

In the south asian culture, cold water is considered less healthy than warm water, being something about how it jolts the body. I have heard cold water burns calories better. I think it's just preference. I also heard nobody should chug down water while they're standing. I need a warm/cold canteen or something.

Right now I'm drinking "totally light 2 go" in cool water, which is a powder u mix into water and has zero calories with vit C.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Years ago I was addicted to Diet Coke. I started getting headaches. Quit. Headaches gone. I hadn't had a soda except for a few lemon or ginger sodas for stomach upset in more than 25 years until about 6 months ago when I had the thought that I'd like to see what Coca Cola tastes like after all this time. I took 3 sips and dumped the rest down the drain. When I gave up Diet Coke I told myself, "You could have a healthy glass of orange juice instead". That worked for me. Can't remember how much Diet Coke I drank daily when the headaches started, but it was more than two, maybe a six pack. Way over a reasonable amount.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:58 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Run. Run far away from diet soda/soda.

Stuff is poison and causes cancer in animals.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:59 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I used to drink a lot of diet coke. Then I broke my leg and the surgeon said I had to stop drinking soda with phosphoric acid because it leaches calcium from the bones.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:08 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Here is an interesting take on where some of those negative ideas about Diet Coke, or artificial sweeteners, came from

https://theoutline.com/post/842/diet...ot-killing-you

I font think diet pop is bad for you, I wouldn't drink 60 a day.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Carbonate your water If you like the fizz. I've used a Sodastream multiple times daily since about 2011.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I was never a huge soda drinker, compared to some people. I have about 1 can of diet soda daily on average. I read that no major studies have proven aspartame to be harmful, aside from a few individuals who get headaches. A doctor said diet soda is bad because it's a sludgy liquid that could affect blood pressure.

Thoughts? Any heavy diet soda drinkers here?

I'm also mixed on caffeine since I read on one hand it knocks off your sleep cycle, but good to have a caffeinated drink because the process to remove caffeine is harmful?

Why is there so much confusion about which drinks are bad?

I drink coffee, a cup per day, bold with some cream and sugar. I tried decaffeinated and thought it tasted fine, I think it depends on the brand. Should I switch to decaffeinated coffee? I'm 6'0 188lbs trying to lose a bit of weight, I have the food down but confused on these beverages. Bought some powdered bags you mix in water for vitamin C, a bit acidic but good.
That would be me.

If diet soda made you gain weight I would be overweight.

I am not, not even close. 5'5" - 116 lbs. give or take a pound or two either way.

One can of diet soda is not going to make you gain weight, in fact, when you are craving something sweet, better to grab a diet soda than a cookie or piece of cake!

IMO, diet soda is a great diet aid!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
If you eat a healthy, well balanced diet with the appropriate amount of calories for you activity level, one Coke a day is fine.

If you eat piles of processed junk food, laden with trans fats, and way more calories than you need for your activity level, that one can of Coke is not going to make or break you.

So is one Coke a day bad for you? In the grand scheme of things, I think it is irrelevant. It is you total way of eating that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness