Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 PM

876 posts, read 813,740 times

Advertisements

During the week I may get 4-6, but it's not enough, usually I'm pretty tired by Friday.

If I get 7 solid hours, I feel great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
You retired in your 20's - I sure hope this is a typo.
Sure made me wonder too.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
You retired in your 20's - I sure hope this is a typo.
Yes, retired in my 20s living a frugal lifestyle. There was a huge thread about my situation in the financial forum.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Me too. Since I was a child. There is a name for it but there is no cure. If one has to work, one cannot have a job that requires 8:AM every day or one is screwed. Over time, the sleep deprivation builds because it's impossible to get to sleep at 10:PM.

When I was a kid my Mom would force me out of bed for school and I'd pretend to be taking a shower but I was sleeping on towels on the floor until I was discovered!

College, I could choose later classes at least most days and not suffer from lack of sleep.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I sleep a good 8-9 hours a night. Most would agree that if you REGULARLY sleep 10 hours a night you might want to get checked out. Do you still feel tired after this amount of sleep? Do you have trouble falling asleep? Do you have trouble getting up? Are you depressed? Getting a physical might be revealing.
I don't feel tired once I'm up. I do have trouble going to sleep because I don't want to go to sleep. I get caught up in reading/researching something until the point where I basically pass out. It's like I have a phobia of having a strict "bed time".

Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't feel tired once I'm up. I do have trouble going to sleep because I don't want to go to sleep. I get caught up in reading/researching something until the point where I basically pass out. It's like I have a phobia of having a strict "bed time".
More like your body and brain want to stay in whatever mode it's in. Whether that is asleep or awake. I got a book on sleep that helped me a lot, but it probably doesn't bother you to want to change it.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Me too. Since I was a child. There is a name for it but there is no cure. If one has to work, one cannot have a job that requires 8:AM every day or one is screwed. Over time, the sleep deprivation builds because it's impossible to get to sleep at 10:PM.

When I was a kid my Mom would force me out of bed for school and I'd pretend to be taking a shower but I was sleeping on towels on the floor until I was discovered!

College, I could choose later classes at least most days and not suffer from lack of sleep.
Wow. That sounds just like me in school. I think I went to school 90% of the time on maybe 2 hours of sleep. MANY nights I'd just lay in bed all night dreading how close is was getting to morning and wonder why the hell I wasn't sleepy. I'd often go to school and play sports on absolutely no sleep (feels like you're living in a fog). The nights I'd fall asleep at say 5am were probably the worst because I'd have to wake up at 6:45...and like you, I was using all kinds of tricks to just get a few more minutes of sleep (often late for school). Once I got to school though and got my blood pumping, I wasn't one of the kids that could sleep in class

I also did late classes in college. Nothing before 11am, but mostly night classes.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
More like your body and brain want to stay in whatever mode it's in. Whether that is asleep or awake. I got a book on sleep that helped me a lot, but it probably doesn't bother you to want to change it.
That does make sense. When I'm awake, I DO NOT want to go to bed. Surely there is something I could be doing or learning, right? Sleep means the day is over and I don't really want it to end. The only thing that seems to take me out is a huge build up of whatever chemicals make us sleepy. At that point it's like being shot with a tranquilizer so my brain can't voluntarily decide not to sleep.

If I could change my sleep habits I would. I just don't know how it would be possible. I'd like to be one of those that can say I'm going to bed at 10pm this week, lay down and be out within 15 minutes.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 AM

115 posts, read 98,288 times
Sleeping 4 to 6 hours will do. I have heard the sleep cycle is 2 hours and woke before that you will feel fatigued. 8 to 10 hours will do. Sometimes I sleep 12 hours on holidays. But it depends on the habit and work schedule.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:15 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I think everyone has a different Circadian rhythm that suits them. But sometimes it gets out of whack for various reasons. Jet lag, for example. Or free-floating anxiety for no particular reason.

Right now I'm trying to retrain mine to suit more "normal" hours of sleep. For a few months, I've been awake until 3 in the morning and then only get 4 hours sleep. Not good. Exhausted. Need more like 7-8 hours.

Last few nights have been successful at falling asleep at 10 PM with drinking a cup of a sleepy time tea with valerian and taking a 5 mg melatonin. So good to fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. Hope this continues to work. Chronic insomnia saps my stamina and creativity.

Might work for others, so thought worthy to mention the tea and melatonin. Yoga also helps and avoiding caffeine after noon. Got some black-out curtains that make the room nice and dark, too. No screen time after 8 PM. A real book an hour before bed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness