Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,139,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
You can get a battery for your CPAP - they're expensive though, but they are available. I think having said that, some batteries barely last 8 hours, and you may only be able to get a night or two out of them before they have to be charged. So, you'll want to research if you go that route. Someone else who has had more experience with the batteries can probably better tell you. This is one reason why I haven't wanted to go camping (tent camping), because I don't have to carry my machine with me. Unfortunately for me, my body has gotten so dependent on CPAP that I can't sleep without it. It's not so much of snoring, but I completely stop breathing and start gasping for air. It's a wonder I didn't pass away prior to getting diagnosed, because there were several nights where I woke myself up gasping for air. It's a scary feeling.

Just remember, Sleep Apnea is a progressive thing. It gets worse as you age, so if it's severe now, it's going to be even worse down the road. That is one reason why I have considered going the surgical route, because my logic is, if my air passage way is already tiny, then it's going to make it harder for the CPAP to do its job. So, making the air passageway larger would at least help reduce my dependence on the machine, so that if I decided to go camping or hiking out in the mountains for a few days, I wouldn't have to have the machine. Certainly, I would like to get off of the machine altogether.

Only thing is, my insurance has denied the procedure, so my oral surgeon is having to go to bat for me to get it approved. It's a long process and sense then, we've had more medical expenses that we've been hit with - since my wife had to go into the emergency room a few weeks ago.
We are in the same boat then. I will talk to my Doc next week. At least if he recomends the surgery it won't cost me anything here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness