Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 07:37 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times

Advertisements

Just don't go with the lowest-cost doctor.

I've gotten into medical reality TV shows on Netflix and two that were really interesting were "Botched-up Bodies" and one on cosmetic surgery in Thailand. Botched-up Bodies was about repairing some of the damage done by bad cosmetic surgery, including implants; the on on Thailand was pretty much a shill for a firm called "Gorgeous Getaways", where the quality of the work seemed MUCH more professional: extensive testing before surgery, enough time to recover before going home, docs being very realistic about what they could and could not do. As an example, they won't stuff a DD-size implant into a breast too small to handle it because the incision could rupture if the skin was too stretched out. Apparently you also need to massage them frequently to avoid "encapsulation" (a hard shell of scar tissue forming around the implant) and sometimes they need replacing years down the road.

So- do your research and mitigate the risks that you can. I'm 66 and love my A-cup breasts just the way they are, but I haven't been through weight gain/loss cycles and had only one pregnancy and breast-feeding, so mine haven't been through much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 AM

177 posts, read 130,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ask yourself: Did you know that implants have only a 10-year warranty? Or that 20% of women need them replaced after 10 years? And that it is increasingly likely there will be problems the longer they're in? Are you willing to keep paying out-of-pocket for additional cosmetic (no insurance will pay) surgeries through the rest of your life? How many more decades of life do you expect? Will you be healthy enough in those later years to keep getting the surgeries?
I have to disagree with this. I have had implants for 24 years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Where did you get the information that it would be increasingly likely to have problems the longer they are in? The longer mine have been in the better they are. They feel and look totally real and natural. I am sure there have been problems for a lot of women, but there are also a lot of women such as myself who have had no issues at all. If I had to do it over again I 100% would!

To the OP, it sounds like you are definitely in tune with your body. I say go for it. You will be so glad you did! There are risks in all aspects of life. Do what you feel is best for YOU!!!

Old 05-27-2019, 01:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
I have to disagree with this. I have had implants for 24 years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Where did you get the information that it would be increasingly likely to have problems the longer they are in? The longer mine have been in the better they are. They feel and look totally real and natural. I am sure there have been problems for a lot of women, but there are also a lot of women such as myself who have had no issues at all. If I had to do it over again I 100% would!

To the OP, it sounds like you are definitely in tune with your body. I say go for it. You will be so glad you did! There are risks in all aspects of life. Do what you feel is best for YOU!!!
This topic has been discussed many times here and you are coming across as an exception. I know personally of a person who went thru HAIL with implants and is now in dementia and some are saying from the silicon. But then I don't mess with mother nature more than needed.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegirlxoxo View Post
I'm not the typical cosmetic surgery patient. But I had a condition called tuberous breast deformity. Swimsuit and bra shopping left me in tears. You'd think after a few decades, I would get used to it, but I never did. I didn't just have small beasts. I felt like a freak. The self-loathing was indescribable. I never had the money for breast augmentation, but finally when I was in my 40's, I decided to go into debt for it. Guess what? The self-loathing is still there. Breast implants just give you a larger version of what you had before. As far as I'm concerned, there is just more to hate. When I'm fully clothed and get a side view of myself in the mirror, sometimes I feel good. But when the bra comes off and I see the droopy tissue hanging off the implant like an over-sized sock, I want to cry. My doctor says this can be corrected with a lift, but the thought of cutting off my nipples, trimming them down and sewing them back on is horrifying to me. I'll probably just have the implants removed.
You had a bad surgeon. The implants are put behind the breast muscle, so of course it doesn't change the shape of the breast. You have to have a lift with it if you didn't like the shape you had before. I am not sure if you always have to go through the nipples with the lift??

I had perky little man boobs and after getting small implants I am very happy with it. 20 years and still think it was the best decision of my life. They look totally real, even when nude. Cut was underneath breasts.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post

Poster is both right and wrong. It’s saline implants that have 10 year warranties and limited lifespan. One of mine deflated after about 12 years. Funny I could tell but my niece said even on the beach she couldn’t tell one was deflated. I had them both replaced with silicone (at the time I got the originals silicone wasn’t being used again yet). The same doc did them, charged much less and recovery was a cinch (since he didn’t have to cut my pecs this time). The first recovery was very painful the second was a breeze. Silicone does not have the 10 year life as saline did.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 AM

177 posts, read 130,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Poster is both right and wrong. It’s saline implants that have 10 year warranties and limited lifespan. One of mine deflated after about 12 years. Funny I could tell but my niece said even on the beach she couldn’t tell one was deflated. I had them both replaced with silicone (at the time I got the originals silicone wasn’t being used again yet). The same doc did them, charged much less and recovery was a cinch (since he didn’t have to cut my pecs this time). The first recovery was very painful the second was a breeze. Silicone does not have the 10 year life as saline did.
I have the saline

Old 07-29-2019, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 1,582 times
I have been wanting a breast augmentation and correction for a while now. It sucks though because having tuberous breast deformity means that I have to pay a lot more than if I just wanted them to be bigger. Too bad women with these can't get part of the surgery covered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness