Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:58 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

I stopped trusting food companies and the FDA a long time ago. But I still got zapped by an artificial ingredient.

There is a kind of flavored water called Sparkling Ice, which is inexpensive and tastes ok. The ingredients list seems natural and healthy, if you only glance at it.

So I was drinking 2 bottles of that every day, for months. And started getting weird feelings and intestinal problems.

So I thought maybe I should get my better reading glasses and look at that ingredients list again. Sucralose -- is that a natural sweetener? Google, what is it?

Artificial. Ugh.

So of course I stopped drinking that crud and now I feel normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 12:32 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Reminds me of when my DH brought home a carton of organic whole milk. I just assumed "milk is milk" and started using it, but after a couple of days I noticed that I was feeling nauseated every time I drank it. I took a look at the carton and it said "DHA Omega 3" which made me suspicious, so I looked at the ingredients. Turned out there was fish oil in my milk. I was glad my stomach alerted me to the situation, as in the past I have gotten hives from fish oil capsules.

Seriously, if a carton of milk has fish in it, IMO it should show a fish on the label.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
A flavored, sweetened water beverage with ZERO calories and you were somehow suprised that it contained an artificial sweetener???
It doesn't say zero calories, it says zero SUGAR. Lots of things taste sweet without added white sugar.

This product is intentionally deceptive.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I read the ingredients in everything before I buy it. It's a good habit to form if you're sensitive to certain ingredients. You'll eventually see a pattern and start knowing what's usually in that type of product, so you can tell if anything odd or unnecessary is in it.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 PM

110 posts, read 36,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom
I read the ingredients in everything before I buy it. It's a good habit to form if you're sensitive to certain ingredients.
For sure..... I have read the ingredients on things for @ least 10 years now!! (You have to if ya dont want potential problems)

Old 01-06-2019, 07:33 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I hate that, sneaky ingredients.

I bought some pork-meat a while ago......yeah, nice healthy meal with no added salt (my BP goes up), or so I thought.

Started eating it and after a couple of bites I am like WHAT THE HECK! Sure enough, after looking closer at the ingredients on the packaging, the meat had salt added to it.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But it's OK to falsely blame the drink manufacturer for some sort of deception?
It is very common for food labels to be deceptive. You must have noticed. In this case, "zero sugar" was in big letters on the front of the bottle.

Normally, when Splenda or Nutrasweet are in a product, they are printed noticeably on the front. Not with Sparkling Ice. It pretends to be one of the all natural drinks.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:27 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I stopped trusting food companies and the FDA a long time ago. But I still got zapped by an artificial ingredient.

There is a kind of flavored water called Sparkling Ice, which is inexpensive and tastes ok. The ingredients list seems natural and healthy, if you only glance at it.
FYI never buy "flavored water" and expect it to be healthy for you. If you want "flavored" water, add the flavor yourself
to fresh spring water. IE: sliced lemon, strawberries, cherries, etc.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is very common for food labels to be deceptive. You must have noticed. In this case, "zero sugar" was in big letters on the front of the bottle.

Normally, when Splenda or Nutrasweet are in a product, they are printed noticeably on the front. Not with Sparkling Ice. It pretends to be one of the all natural drinks.
Splena and Nutrasweet are brand names. Sucralose is not. If something is sweet and claims to be sugarless, my first question is always how it got that way. Did it not occur to you to wonder?

I agree that labels are not always as easily interpreted as they should be, but that does not mean you have no share of the responsibility here.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 01-07-2019 at 02:50 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 02:44 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I hate that, sneaky ingredients.

I bought some pork-meat a while ago......yeah, nice healthy meal with no added salt (my BP goes up), or so I thought.

Started eating it and after a couple of bites I am like WHAT THE HECK! Sure enough, after looking closer at the ingredients on the packaging, the meat had salt added to it.
Always check packaged meats. Always. Lots of them have added salt and other seasonings. I never used to pay much attention, but I feed my pets a raw diet, and they shouldn't have that stuff. Now I inspect every package, and some of them contain up to 15% of some kind of "solution." I do not buy them even for my own use. If I am paying for meat, I want meat, and only meat. The information may be in small print, but it is there. If you check often enough, you will learn which brands (and possibly stores) to avoid.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 01-07-2019 at 02:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness