Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,481 times

Advertisements

hi, how are you today?😁, mind if I ask you a question?, well it may seem silly but I'm really curious about figuring out if there is anyway of stopping periods permanently and safely, I'm going to guess the only way of doing so is by expensive surgery, but I was hoping that wasn't my only opinion out there, if anyone of you can help me I would greatly appreciate it, even if it's only suggestions that will at least delay it for a while and give me a break.

Thank you to anyone that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Not sure why you'd want to but when I was taking BC pills in the 1970s you took them for 3 weeks, you stopped them for a week (or took a week of pills with no active ingredients) during which you had a "fake period" and then you started again. The reason I say it was fake was that it was technically "withdrawal bleeding"- the hormones built your uterine lining up and when you stopped taking them the lining would shed- pretty much like a period. In theory if you just kept taking them you wouldn't have a period, ever. I hasten to add that I'm not a doctor. In addition, formulations of BC pills have changed since then-lower doses and tri-phasic regimens where the amount of hormones isn't equal in every pill.

You might want to consult a doctor and run this by him/her but my feeling is that it's a bad idea- why can't you just let your body do its thing?

Old 08-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Default Thank you

Hi and thank you for replying to my post, to start off i will tell you why this is something i am considering, first is the pain, the most of the time unbearable pain, it feels like sharp knifes stabbing one after the other, sometimes it even goes all the way up to my back, making sitting, standing or really anything kind of harder to do, The emotional Roller coaster is something to long to even go into(( i am sure most females can relate)), but over all it just the pain i feel that seems to get worse and worse each time i have my period, sometimes i have even wanted to cry from how badly it hurt, sleeping is the only time i get any peace aside from taking 2 pain killers every 6 hrs, but even sleeping can be sometimes hard from how much pain i can be in, my eating habits are horrible, i want nothing to do with food or drinks unless sometimes when i get a small craving at night. Other then that i could careless about eating, which is funny cause as soon as i'm done with my period the tables turn, But another reason is i doubt i will ever be having kids any time soon, and really don't see any in my future since i do have trust issues when it comes to men for many reasons (( plus i'm only 17 at the moment, turning 18 rather soon)), so at the moment it's really not doing me any good besides i guess cleaning the body out, but besides all that thank you for your suggestion i really appreciate it, it also pretty much confirmed my theory on having to go to the doctors pretty much, which is something my family most likely won't be able to afford if they do give me ANY options on my situation. i don't know if they will even consider it since i am 17 but my mom told me she had to get her's stopped at a young age cause of the serious pain she went through, but i don't know if that is how things still work or not. But again thank you for your help

Old 08-05-2019, 05:54 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I think you should go see a doctor. It sounds like you may have endometriosis. They may be able to at least treat it so you’re not in so much pain.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Thank you for your suggestion, perhaps i will speak with my mother about it and see if she feels we need to set up an appointment. if we do end up going i suppose i will see what i can do from there on.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:00 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Two interesting things that happened after I got off BC pills after 3 years on them: first, I didn't have a period for 13 months anyway- I think my body needed that time to get back in balance.

Second- I used to have severe cramps during my periods. Not as bad as you describe but I spent at least one day a month lying on my stomach with a heating pad under my abdomen, which was the only thing that worked. Never had pain that bad during a period again after I stopped the BC pills. I started at age 18 and stopped at age 21.

If you're in the US do you have Planned Parenthood near you? They provide women's health care for free, and not just birth control. My sister and I both got ours there in the 1970s when we were young and being raised by good but very religious parents who believed in abstinence. I found later that so many of my HS classmates (Roman Catholic school) were going there for BC that we could have car pooled!

You could at least give them a call. It may be that a low-dose pill will give you the fake periods I mentioned but nothing like your real ones. I hope they can help.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You can get continuous birth control pills that allow you to skip periods. You can also get the depo provera shot every three months and that will stop your period, or the Mirena IUD (but sometimes IUD makes cramps worse) which will make your period lighter or stop it. There's also Nexplanon which is implanted in your arm but it may not stop your period, or might take a year to stop your period.

Depending on what state you live in, there's an app/website called Nurx that will let you order birth control pills without having to see a doctor. (We're in TX and my daughter couldn't order from Nurx until she's 18 because of state law, so she had to visit a doctor to get her prescription.) They have the ones that let you stop your period, and they have generics that are very affordable. If you can't use the app or it's not available in your state, Planned Parenthood is a good resource for all female reproductive health issues and they charge less depending on your income.

No one is going to do surgery on you to stop your periods at your age, so it's best to stop thinking of that as an option.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: I'm not going to diagnosis anything BUT go to a doctor, clean up your diet and I know many women do suffer at this time of the month. I am 81 soon and went thru my periods with a breeze no pain, but a nuisance but part of NATURE... stopping nature is not the answer. Unless an emergency is going on. See a GOOD doctor.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 PM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
Seasonale is a birth control pill that you take for 90 days so that you get just four cycles a year. There are generics available. You might be able to go longer depending on what your doctor says. I know some that take the pills continuously.

Planned Parenthood would be a good place to go for low cost/free care. BCP are often prescribed for many conditions. It sounds like you likely suffer from.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Thank you to everyone who has tried helping me, i have a few near me but i think the closest is still in oh or Pittsburgh. but again thank you for all your suggestions and i will talk with my mother first and see what she says and then if we agree to see a doctor go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness