Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,922 times

Advertisements

I've been alternating 3-4 boiled eggs and oatmeal every other day for about 7 years. I get full blood panels every year and have no ill effects from my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 08:59 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have definitely gotten too into eggs for breakfast.

Recently I found out they should be severely limited - but I have forgotten what to eat that isn't eggs. Also don't want to make the mistake of eating carbs and just find myself with a new problem.

I can eat egg beaters but what are other options.
1 serving portion of plain Greek yogurt, some berries, your choice, add a chopped banana, top with granola or chopped walnuts.

I don’t quite understand why I can eat sour cream off the spoon with no problem whatsoever, but Greek yogurt is very bitter and very chalky tasting to me. They are supposed to be substitutes for each other but I’d far rather eat sour cream. That’s why I have to use a banana with the yogurt, because if I don’t use banana, I gotta use some sort of sweetener in there or I can’t eat it.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why limit your eggs?
They are a cheap & nutritious food, & the old thinking about cholesterol has changed.
It's changing back:
Quote:
Eggs are back in the news, with a new study concluding that regular consumption of the beloved breakfast food may increase the risk of heart disease after all.

The large, long-running study — published today (March 15) in the journal JAMA — found that eating three to four eggs per week was linked to a 6 percent increase in a person's risk of developing heart disease and an 8 percent increase in their risk of dying from any cause during the study period, compared with not eating eggs.

The culprit, the researchers wrote, appears to be cholesterol; the study also found that eating 300 mg of cholesterol per day was tied to a 17 percent increase in the risk of developing heart disease and an 18 percent increase in the risk of dying during the study period, compared with consuming no cholesterol.
https://www.livescience.com/65008-eg...ease-risk.html

I hard boil them and eat the whites.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:10 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why limit your eggs?
They are a cheap & nutritious food, & the old thinking about cholesterol has changed.
I've had an issue w/that twice. So I do think eggs raise the cholesterol.

I've had normal cholesterol all my life, since having blood tests done. Only twice was one factor raised to the upper end of normal (I don't recall if it was LDL or triglycerides). Those two times I'd been on a egg kick. I love eggs, and occasionally I get carried away with eating them a lot. The problem rectified itself, when I cut eggs down to a more normal number per week.

Eggs are nutritious and filling. Yummy, even! But a boiled egg is over 58% fat (a high fat food, and not the good kind of fat).

So I keep it down to several a week.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
I have definitely gotten too into eggs for breakfast.

Recently I found out they should be severely limited - but I have forgotten what to eat that isn't eggs. Also don't want to make the mistake of eating carbs and just find myself with a new problem.

So...you don't want to eat carbs? That's pretty limiting, then. Your choice is then either meats or fats or dairy.

I have to get plenty of calcium, so my choice is cereal (there are only 3 cereals that are healthy enough for me) with skim milk. When I eat breakfast.

Cheerios w/skim milk packs a wallop of calcium for a reasonable # of calories: over 500 mg of calcium! Cheerios (or the generic Great Value Toasted Oats) has almost as much calcium as the milk. It's the only cereal w/a bit of sugar that I eat. The only other 2 cereals I eat are Shredded Wheat and Grape Nuts, because they don't have sugar and a lot of chemicals. Sometimes in the winter I'll eat oatmeal w/added skim milk.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:44 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Well like any smart person does in the internet age, when I see apparent evidence for conclusions I don't like I go searching for answers that are more to my liking. Nobody gonna take my eggs away from me that easily!

Critique of the above article:

a study published in JAMA put the egg back on the hot seat. It found that the amount of cholesterol in a bit less than two large eggs a day was associated with an increase in a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease and death by 17 percent and 18 percent, respectively. The risks grow with every additional half egg. It was a really large study, too — with nearly 30,000 participants — which suggests it should be fairly reliable. So which is it? Is the egg good or bad? And, while we are on the subject, when so much of what we are told about diet, health, and weight loss is inconsistent and contradictory, can we believe any of it?
Quite frankly, probably not. Nutrition research tends to be unreliable because nearly all of it is based on observational studies, which are imprecise, have no controls, and don’t follow an experimental method. As nutrition-research critics Edward Archer and Carl Lavie have put it, “’Nutrition’ is now a degenerating research paradigm in which scientifically illiterate methods, meaningless data, and consensus-driven censorship dominate the empirical landscape.”

https://undark.org/2019/07/18/science-of-eggs/

more...

Nutrition Has a 'Consensus' to Use Bad Science: An Open Letter to the National Academieshttps://www.realclearscience.com/art...d_science.html

Deadly Eggs? More Like Weak Nutritional Epidemiology

— The Skeptical Cardiologist chomps into the wobbly science

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/s...iologist/79361

After carefully ingesting the new JAMA egg study that has gotten the media and many patients in a tizzy, I consumed a three egg omelette (of course, with yolks).
I am happy to report that I survived the incident and am not concerned at all that my longevity has been compromised.
My 2013 summary of eggs, dietary cholesterol, and heart disease (see here) is still valid, and I highly recommend patients and readers read that post plus my updates on eggs with newer data (see here and here) rather than information related to the new egg study.
Although CNN and other news outlets led with inflammatory headlines suggesting that eating those three eggs increased my risk of heart disease, the new egg study could not possibly prove causation because it was an observational study.

I don't know where the truth lies in all of this, for all I know these guys are paid shills for the egg industry and I'm too lazy and uncaring to research it more at this point in time. I've got 3 weeks worth of eggs in the fridge that I worked very hard to find, and I'm going to enjoy them dammit!

Old 04-01-2020, 11:08 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,274 times
PB&J on Toasted oat bread.
Sliced geoduck over whole grain rice if that's too carby.
Not sure what element of the eggs you want to sub for.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:33 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well like any smart person does in the internet age, when I see apparent evidence for conclusions I don't like I go searching for answers that are more to my liking. Nobody gonna take my eggs away from me that easily!

Critique of the above article:

a study published in JAMA put the egg back on the hot seat. It found that the amount of cholesterol in a bit less than two large eggs a day was associated with an increase in a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease and death by 17 percent and 18 percent, respectively. The risks grow with every additional half egg. It was a really large study, too — with nearly 30,000 participants — which suggests it should be fairly reliable. So which is it? Is the egg good or bad? And, while we are on the subject, when so much of what we are told about diet, health, and weight loss is inconsistent and contradictory, can we believe any of it?
Quite frankly, probably not. Nutrition research tends to be unreliable because nearly all of it is based on observational studies, which are imprecise, have no controls, and don’t follow an experimental method. As nutrition-research critics Edward Archer and Carl Lavie have put it, “’Nutrition’ is now a degenerating research paradigm in which scientifically illiterate methods, meaningless data, and consensus-driven censorship dominate the empirical landscape.”

https://undark.org/2019/07/18/science-of-eggs/

more...

Nutrition Has a 'Consensus' to Use Bad Science: An Open Letter to the National Academieshttps://www.realclearscience.com/art...d_science.html

Deadly Eggs? More Like Weak Nutritional Epidemiology

— The Skeptical Cardiologist chomps into the wobbly science

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/s...iologist/79361

After carefully ingesting the new JAMA egg study that has gotten the media and many patients in a tizzy, I consumed a three egg omelette (of course, with yolks).
I am happy to report that I survived the incident and am not concerned at all that my longevity has been compromised.
My 2013 summary of eggs, dietary cholesterol, and heart disease (see here) is still valid, and I highly recommend patients and readers read that post plus my updates on eggs with newer data (see here and here) rather than information related to the new egg study.
Although CNN and other news outlets led with inflammatory headlines suggesting that eating those three eggs increased my risk of heart disease, the new egg study could not possibly prove causation because it was an observational study.

I don't know where the truth lies in all of this, for all I know these guys are paid shills for the egg industry and I'm too lazy and uncaring to research it more at this point in time. I've got 3 weeks worth of eggs in the fridge that I worked very hard to find, and I'm going to enjoy them dammit!
I eat 4 egg yolks a day. Cholesterol is essential for life. It's so important that the body makes it when needed. There is a strong effort by the plant-based folks to eliminate meat, eggs, and dairy from the food supply. You can tell the bias when they throw in something like this in studies like the one linked above: animal-based foods should be limited.

Egg or no egg. Animal or plant-based. We are all gonna die. Eat what you like without attacking people who don't eat like you or forcing your ideology onto other people. That's my philosophy.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-01-2020 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Quote:
It is not due to cholesterol.

Anyone can answer the question?
Quote:
That is my business. Please answer the question or don't respond. geese.

Still waiting for you to tell us what geese has to do with your question.

Aside from that, are you seriously asking what other food you can eat for breakfast besides eggs, while at the same time refusing to elaborate whether you have any medical or dietary need to do so?

You can literally eat anything you want at any time of day.

Your question, coupled with your refusal to add any qualifiers or provide any further details or elaboration, is nonsensical.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:29 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Still waiting for you to tell us what geese has to do with your question.

Aside from that, are you seriously asking what other food you can eat for breakfast besides eggs, while at the same time refusing to elaborate whether you have any medical or dietary need to do so?

You can literally eat anything you want at any time of day.

Your question, coupled with your refusal to add any qualifiers or provide any further details or elaboration, is nonsensical.
IME when someone posts a vague question and then pitches a fit when asked for reasonable and helpful details they really don't want an answer. Its an excuse to start a fight.

What's the solution?

Don't indulge them. Let them stew in their own juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness