Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 02:56 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Since it seems clear that everyone here is going to fight the cholesterol battle I will have to say I am not concerned about cholesterol. I am concerned about viruses in meat. I recently was diagnosed with a precursor condition to multiple myeloma / Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It has a very low rate of progress and in fact, might never progress. But there are some studies that connect blood cancers to viruses in meat, particularly chicken. In fact, studies have shown that people who are born and raised on or near poultry farms run a higher risk of blood cancers as adults. Now I don't eat a ton of chicken but I do eat a lot of eggs and the studies on this cannot guarantee that eggs are free of viruses even if they are local. Studies have indicated that they believe the start of the cancer comes from antigen stimulation -- particularly chronic antigen stimulation such as can be seen with auto immunity disorders. The theory being then stimulating your immune system all the time leads to a defective cell which starts you down the road.

But there is one food that runs a risk of viruses in the food that I eat day in, and pretty much, day out. And that is eggs. So I definitely need to eliminate them for the most part. I think I could have one on the weekend.

I don't eat a ton of chicken or red meat. Generally fish is my go to food.

I got today at the store (from what was left)
- Greek Yogurt
- Bannas
- BlueBerry loaf
- a high protein shake

I was going to get egg beaters but I see they are "made from real eggs" so I don't think that helps me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 02:57 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
there is only one answer: BACON!

Old 04-01-2020, 03:03 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Since it seems clear that everyone here is going to fight the cholesterol battle I will have to say I am not concerned about cholesterol. I am concerned about viruses in meat. I recently was diagnosed with a precursor condition to multiple myeloma / Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It has a very low rate of progress and in fact, might never progress. But there are some studies that connect blood cancers to viruses in meat, particularly chicken. In fact, studies have shown that people who are born and raised on or near poultry farms run a higher risk of blood cancers as adults. Now I don't eat a ton of chicken but I do eat a lot of eggs and the studies on this cannot guarantee that eggs are free of viruses even if they are local. Studies have indicated that they believe the start of the cancer comes from antigen stimulation -- particularly chronic antigen stimulation such as can be seen with auto immunity disorders. The theory being then stimulating your immune system all the time leads to a defective cell which starts you down the road.

But there is one food that runs a risk of viruses in the food that I eat day in, and pretty much, day out. And that is eggs. So I definitely need to eliminate them for the most part. I think I could have one on the weekend.

- Greek Yogurt
- Bannas
- BlueBerry loaf
- a high protein shake

I was going to get egg beaters but I see they are "made from real eggs" so I don't think that helps me.
Wouldn't potential viruses be disabled (note I didn't say killed, I said disabled) by boiling? What about substituting dehydrated or freeze-dried egg?

Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wouldn't potential viruses be disabled (note I didn't say killed, I said disabled) by boiling? What about substituting dehydrated or freeze-dried egg?
I don't know. And given that I feel like I better not chance it. As I said though I thinking having one or two a week won't be a problem but currently I am having 2 pretty much per day. For a total of 14 per week. Thats not good. Let me check out the freeze-dried egg.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:

- Greek Yogurt
- Bannas
- BlueBerry loaf
- a high protein shake

Cook the eggs. Problem solved. Viruses are inactivated at or below 150 F

Old 04-01-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Cook the eggs. Problem solved. Viruses are inactivated at or below 150 F
Well isn't that the same for chicken? Yet there are studies on the books that show a greater risk with chicken and blood cancer? Definitely will make sure any eggs I eat in the future will not be runny.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:50 PM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
Animal products cause cancer. People don't want to hear this. I know I didn't when I was a "keto guy". But it's true- you will die.

High-protein diets are not life span favorable. They do not offer anti-cancer protection. They are not cardio-protective.

I learned the facts, and switched to a plant-based diet.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:07 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Everything has the potential to cause cancer, and help viruses to spread. But, if you don't eat, you will die...of starvation.

Ask your doctor who was kind enough to diagnose you with a precursor to something for a sample menu plan that may help prevent this precursor advancing, It probably wont do away with ordinary foods, but will focus on beneficial foods.

Since you cant really avoid carcinogens and viruses, what can you do? Antioxidants, and anti inflammatory, vitamins and minerals. Stop all processed sugar. Get your sweets and treats from fruit and honey, Honey is awesome. Stop all processed food.

Don't buy a blueberry loaf and protein drink. Learn to make them with healthy and preferably organic/non-GMO ingredients..

If you really want to lose your mind, learn about adaptogens. Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food." To do that, you have to learn what is beneficial about every food grain spice fruit herb you eat.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Everything has the potential to cause cancer, and help viruses to spread. But, if you don't eat, you will die...of starvation.
Actually there is this thing called intermittent fasting that tells you not to eat..so..also several studies now say eating 30% less can extend life span.

I was pretty clear i just wanted to cut back. I don't know why people can't say with the topic at hand.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
I am concerned about viruses in meat...

...I was going to get egg beaters but I see they are "made from real eggs" so I don't think that helps me.
See? Now that wasn't that difficult to write, was it? Now people can intelligently try to answer your question and give you some focused advice.

As for me, my diet is completely plant-based, but for many years I was vegetarian and would eat eggs several times a week. When I gave up eggs and all dairy products, finding a substitute for eggs was a problem. Many vegans scramble tofu, and some restaurants serve it as well, but I have to admit, it's an acquired taste. If you want to try it, but don't want to go through the hassle of actually cooking it, you can find pre-made versions in the frozen food case at supermarkets. Here's an example: https://www.amys.com/our-foods/tofu-scramble

A relatively new product that I think is amazing is Just Egg. The first time I ever had it was at a vegan restaurant. If the restaurant hadn't been vegan, I would've sworn that the waitress had given me the wrong order. I now buy it by the bottle and use it at home. Even my wife swears by it and she's not vegan.

And since you mentioned in your OP that you were trying to avoid carbohydrates, you'll be happy to know that it only has 1 carb per 70 calorie serving, while also having 5g of protein and 5g of fat. And no cholesterol of course since it isn't an animal product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-12AZ3ddNWE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness