Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 08:55 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times

Advertisements

I take care of elderly 86 year old mom (got both shots a few months ago) and disabled brother (we both got 2nd shot 4 days ago). I have been trying my best to be cautious...take care of them while following all covid health precautions (has been a rough year)...looking forward to doing more when we are all 2 plus weeks after 2nd covid shot.

The issue is my sister...She refuses to get the shot (s)...I tried to convince her that it prevents death and hospitalization, but she won't buy it regardless of what I say. I don't feel comfortable if she and brother in law come over for Mothers Day (they may not since she chooses to be estranged from family...never got along with mom) when both are unvaccinated for covid. Any way for them to visit if they choose to or should I just tell them to forget it? Looking for suggestions on how to approach this....thanks!

Old 05-01-2021, 10:58 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Our kids have not been able to see my 98YO mother-in-law. We told them to stay away until vaccinated.

Son, daughter-in-law and grandson got vaccinated a month ago and we wil all be with mom tomorrow

Daughter has been vaccinated and we are waiting for grand daughter to get hers before seeing mom

You can protect your mother by keeping sister away

Old 05-01-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Our kids have not been able to see my 98YO mother-in-law. We told them to stay away until vaccinated.

Son, daughter-in-law and grandson got vaccinated a month ago and we wil all be with mom tomorrow

Daughter has been vaccinated and we are waiting for grand daughter to get hers before seeing mom

You can protect your mother by keeping sister away
Thanks for the reply...they probably won't come over anyway, but if they ask to I'll say not until you both are vaccinated...thanks!

Old 05-01-2021, 11:39 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I would allow visits once you are all 2 weeks past the second shot. Just make sure that your sister is asymptomatic and has no fever when she does visit. If it makes you feel more comfortable, sit outside and visit with her.

Your sister could have lied to you and told you that she got the shot just to get you off of her back but, instead, she was honest and told you the truth. She gets credit for that.

The chances of fully vaccinated people getting the virus from a healthy, asymptomatic person is slim to none.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I would allow visits once you are all 2 weeks past the second shot. Just make sure that your sister is asymptomatic and has no fever when she does visit. If it makes you feel more comfortable, sit outside and visit with her.

Your sister could have lied to you and told you that she got the shot just to get you off of her back but, instead, she was honest and told you the truth. She gets credit for that.

The chances of fully vaccinated people getting the virus from a healthy, asymptomatic person is slim to none.
I told her in a text that vaccinated peeps won't hang out with unvaccinated...a recent negative covid test will be required for unvaccinated. She asked why since vaccinated won't get covid? I responded that the vaccine is 95% effective, not 100%. She refuses to get vaccinated now (won't lie and say she got shot (s))...and won't take covid test...probably doesn't even have a thermometer. I'm uncomfortable having her coming over (she may not) to visit my 86 year old mom. Will probably tell them to stay away until vaccinated to protect mom.

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-02-2021 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 12:39 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That is just not true. Most of transmission occurs when people are asymptomatic. Sick people aren't going around seeing other people because they're sick and don't feel well. A substantial number of people never get sick and so they go out.

The other problem when someone says they don't want to get vaccinated is that they also are saying they don't want to wear mask and don't social distance. They usually say that they trust people because they know them and since they don't feel sick then they are OK to be around like normal. I can't think of a higher risk group than those who don't want to get vaccinated because it leads to infection and transmission.

The 95% is a citation that comes from the studies but the studies were not completely representative of the population at large with regards to minority groups and the elderly. There is no doubt that the numbers for the elderly would be expected to be lower unfortunately. Older people have higher vaccine failure rates because their immune system is not the same as someone younger it it were there wouldn't be more cancer in that age group.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:20 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
You understand that everyone is a carrier.

The carrier part of virus transmission doesn't care if you're vaccinated or not.

Your vaccinated relatives could give your daughter COVID. /shrug/

Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Anti-vaxxers are selfish to start with but for your sister to refuse the shot in order to visit her elderly mother is the height of selfishness. I imagine she would refuse to wear a mask during the visit as well. No way I'm letting any unvaccinated person near my 95 year old vaccinated mother.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:37 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,718,719 times
This is a good question because there are going to be a significant number of healthy people who won't get the vaccine right away, if ever.

I think there are workarounds to stay safe. One or both could wear a mask, stay six feet apart, turn heads away from each other when hugging, visit outside, take temperatures. These are all good practices that have kept most people safe and healthy over the past year, no reason why they shouldn't work even better now, especially when some are vaccinated.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:54 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
I take care of elderly 86 year old mom (got both shots a few months ago) and disabled brother (we both got 2nd shot 4 days ago). I have been trying my best to be cautious...take care of them while following all covid health precautions (has been a rough year)...looking forward to doing more when we are all 2 plus weeks after 2nd covid shot.

The issue is my sister...She refuses to get the shot (s)...I tried to convince her that it prevents death and hospitalization, but she won't buy it regardless of what I say. I don't feel comfortable if she and brother in law come over for Mothers Day (they may not since she chooses to be estranged from family...never got along with mom) when both are unvaccinated for covid. Any way for them to visit if they choose to or should I just tell them to forget it? Looking for suggestions on how to approach this....thanks!
I think the fact that she won't get vaccinated for the sake of protecting her mother's health speaks volumes about her as a person. Until she is willing to be vaccinated (if ever) her contacts with her mother ought to be limited to zoom and the telephone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness