Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM

190 posts, read 543,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Hey all,

I met with the infectious disease doctor today. The bone scan showed a definite infection in the tibia, and they are sending me for a PICC line insertion. I'll have to administer antibiotics through the PICC every day for the next 4 weeks, and then they plan on switching me to an oral antibiotic. They also said that the screws in the tibia will definitely have to come out, but so far the plate and screws in the fib are unaffected and should be able to stay. The OS said that the screws need to stay in for a minimum of 6 months, but I'm going to call him tomorrow and see what his opinion on all of this is.

I'm getting extremely nervous about all of this. I hope this doesn't become an on-going problem. Wish me luck, guys - I need it.

~Tina
Dear Christina,

I am so sorry to hear your bad news! Please keep your spirits up though! You are strong and will make it through this setback!!! Remember when I twas so depressed and thought I'd never make it through? Well, eventually we all will. I had my follow up with the OS yesterday, and basically I am through. I have to go back in 3 mos for 1 more xray.
I know that once you get past this you will be right along with me!!!

To everyone new to the site and for those still here (Hi Simms!!!) I know some of you are experiencing depression, fear, confusion, pain especially pain and I just want you to know that it does and will get better. For some maybe longer than you want, but just remember to keep your MIND busy!! It is a key thing to avoiding the depression. Also if I had to pick one thing to do that I feel helped me more than anything was to take plenty, plenty of calcium. I def. feel that is one of the reasons I healed as well as I did. I never thought the day would come where I wasn't on this site several times a day, but as I have gotten to the point now where I am walking on my own, I am spending more time outside getting ready for gardening time and I realized I hadn't visited in a long time!!

The bestwishes to all of you, good luck and a speedy recovery to you all!!!!
Love Monica

Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 AM

64 posts, read 334,120 times
Default New Member

Hi everyone,

I am a new member to this thread and just read through a few pages and noticed that this seems to be a great safe haven for people with similar injuries.

Just a background on me, I am 28 years old and on March 1st, 2009 I broke my Tib (1 break) and Fib (in 2 places) from making a volleyball block. Not recollecting how everything went, but apparently I landed on someone when I went for a block and the rest became history. I ended up going into surgery to have a rod placed with screws that were around my ankle and just below my knee. Went to see my surgeon after a week and a half he said the bone is aligned with the rod and all is good. My fibula is on its own to heal as they said that is what its supposed to do. I am currently in an aircast and not a plaster one. Have another follow up with them before April 10th. I started physiotherapy about a week ago but I can already see my leg muscles deterioated. Doing simple exercises right now on my thighs and doing some movement on my ankle by shifting my foot forwards and backward. Really hoping that the healing process will allow me to put some weight on my left leg soon.

My minor setback right now is for some reason my left knee which is still swollen feels numb still and it doesn't compare to my right knee yet. Also, when I do my physio exercises, my knee cap seems to move less than my good knee and it still feels stiff. Has anyone felt this before? Is this normal or is something wrong with me?

Looking forward to all of your great advice and ideas.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 AM

16 posts, read 54,314 times
I went to see my OS yesterday and after 14 weeks, I got the news that I have been waiting to hear...I get to go back to work and I am to go Full weight bearing! Also, he feels that I really have no need for PT! He gave me ankle mobility and ankle strengthening exercises very early on, plus got me going with quad exercises, quite early, and everything looks great!
I shattered my tibia and fibula both about an inch or 2 above the ankle on December 17th. Had surgery the same day with plates in both and about 16 screws. I have been off work since (even tho I have a desk job) and I am actually a little leery to go back into "the real world!"
Yesterday & today, I am putting the weight on the broken leg and it feels good, but it does hurt! I don't know what I expected, but I didn't think I would be having this much pain. My good leg hurts too, I guess I am shifting some of the weight...gotta watch that!
So...we do get better, we do heal. We will walk again. God bless all.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 AM

69 posts, read 334,329 times
Mindy 1712

I have been back to work for one month was out for 3 months I have a desk job too and it was very hard at first, still can be at times I was so tired all the time and sitting with the leg down for a long period of time increases the swelling. It also makes my leg stiff, I am now wearing a compression stocking thight high all day, it is a pain to put on but it does help.

Good Luck

Last edited by greenyes42; 03-26-2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM

27 posts, read 119,962 times
Greetings All,

I read a really informative article on bone health that I thought I would share with everyon in our group. Please see the link below.

Acid–alkaline balance for bone health

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM

175 posts, read 741,497 times
Thanks to all who sent me well wishes. I had the PICC inserted last week and have become an old pro at giving myself the antibiotics and flushing the line. I have home health come in once to twice a week to check for infection, change the bandage, and draw blood samples, but other than that, I'm on my own with it. The pharmaceutical company sends me a week's worth of supplies and medication, so I don't have to even leave the house if I don't want to!

Already I have noticed a huge difference in both pain levels and the appearance of that fracture blister. The blister is filling in nicely, and may even be gone by the early part of next week. I still have some pain, and get stiff if I sit too long, but the horrible "pop pain killers like skittles" pain is gone. I've doubled my range of motion over the last week, and can finally walk up the stairs like I used to do instead of toddler-like. Apparently, the antibiotics are working.

Welcome to all the new members. I am so sorry about your accidents, but so glad you have found us. To the old members, happy healings! It sounds like you are all making progress, and I am so happy for everyone.

Monica, you are a sweetie. I'm doing okay, really. Even the home health nurse commented about how upbeat I am. I figure that you can either laugh about it or cry about it. I cried in the beginning, and now it's just all part of the healing process. I am SO glad that you are doing well! I'll be around Tuesday afternoon if you want to give me a call!

Take care, fellow gimpers!
~Tina

Old 03-26-2009, 08:20 PM

51 posts, read 186,856 times
I'm a little frustrated as I tried to post and it doesn't seem to have shown up...

I can't imagine having to go through another surgery by choice, and wish you all the best in yours.. will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Christina, glad to hear that the antibiotics are working. It does help me a lot to be in touch with others in the same situation as I am. I keep hearing horror stories about bad settings, and rejections or troubles, so it is nice to hear some success stories too. I have to wait until April 1 to see my OS as he is away on spring break. I was supposed to get this cast changed and meet with him to find out how things are going this week, so having to wait is hard... My cast is very uncomfortable - wondering if the strangulation that someone was talking about is what I am experiencing. Still can't put my foot in a lowered position for more than a couple of minutes.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 AM

19 posts, read 50,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkydonkey View Post
Anyone here JUST broken/fractured/stress fractured their fibula?

So many people here have had terrible injuries. I'm looking for someone who's had similar to mine. At worst, mine is a stress fracture of the fibula (but now they're saying it might not even be a stress fracture - i think).

Either way, they're looking to have a plate fitted soonish. If i read a case where someone has broken their tibia in 3 places & fibula in 7 then their case will be a bit different to mine.

I'm wondering what to expect. Others (with just the fibula) recovery time.

I'm aware of infection risk, but more importantly, AFTERWARDS......the risk of not being able to do certain activities due to a plate being fitted.

Right now i can do everything a 'normal' person can do. Some things cause discomfort (i.e. running, football(soccer) for long periods of time)

What i'm really asking is, has anyone found here that they've gone from being able to do something like that with a bit of discomfort pre-plate to totally being unable to do those activities post-plate??

Any pointers you would give for someone who's expecting to have this surgery?

All i'm told is the plate will need to be 'thicker' (than what, i don't know)
I am amazed that they are planning on surgery for a stress fracture to the fibula.

Most of us (inlucing myself) with broken tib/fib are told that all is important is to get the tibia fixed and let the fibula look after itself - which it does quite well.

So I suggest you get a second opinion and find out if you really need surgery, or whether a non-invasive treatment could work just as well, or even better, without the risks associated with surgry.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM

189 posts, read 795,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
I'm a little frustrated as I tried to post and it doesn't seem to have shown up...

I can't imagine having to go through another surgery by choice, and wish you all the best in yours.. will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Christina, glad to hear that the antibiotics are working. It does help me a lot to be in touch with others in the same situation as I am. I keep hearing horror stories about bad settings, and rejections or troubles, so it is nice to hear some success stories too. I have to wait until April 1 to see my OS as he is away on spring break. I was supposed to get this cast changed and meet with him to find out how things are going this week, so having to wait is hard... My cast is very uncomfortable - wondering if the strangulation that someone was talking about is what I am experiencing. Still can't put my foot in a lowered position for more than a couple of minutes.

kek411,
The waiting has been the toughest part for me.........this past week I have been so frustrated!!! I am waiting to see my OS on April 2, so I am counting down the days too!

Are you in a fiberglass cast? I was in a temporary cast for 2 weeks after my surgery, then a fiberglass cast for 3 weeks, then the air boot which I stiil am in. (My last surgery was Jan 28, I have had 2) From reading all the stories, some people go into the air boot sooner.

I know it is hard to lower your leg at this point for you, that will get better with more time. It has gotten much better for me in about the last 3 weeks, a little better every day. Right now the worst part is when I lower it first thing in the morning, then not too bad throughout the rest of the day. I do elevate and ice several times a day for the swelling, which has also gotten a lot better over the last few weeks.

Have you started any PT? If not, you may want to ask your OS about it at your next appt. I think it helps so much! I wish I had started earlier than I did. It can help alot with maintaining your leg muscles and with flexiblity. I also feel like it helps me mentally especially when you wait weeks in between OS appts, at least you have someone else to guide you when you have so many questions, and they encourage you with progress and let you know what to expect.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM

51 posts, read 186,856 times
Thanks Nannyof2 - I had a plaster cast while I was in the hospital (5 days) and now have a fiberglass cast but my foot is set crooked. I was reacting to all pain meds, so when he was trying to manipulate my foot to position while the cast was setting he had a hard time. I worry about how it will heal, but nothing I can do about it.

Yes, the waiting is hard, but even harder is that people just don't seem to understand that it is not just a "broken leg"- they expect that you should be able to get up and get around... I can't put my foot down for more than a couple of minutes, it still hurts a lot, and I am so bored and frustrated. But people come home after work/school, moan about their day, and go off to do their own thing still leaving me on my own. Sometimes they are so grumpy I am afraid to ask for anything - even help putting cream on my rashed back (a result of my med reactions).

Feeling pretty depressed right now - trying hard to keep up a good face but don't feel as good as I try to let my visitors think.

Can't wait until the pain goes and this is just an inconvenience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness