Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 06:42 PM

189 posts, read 795,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel5518 View Post
When i was 7, I fell off of a swing and broke my right femur for the first time. I was in a Half-body cast for awhile. When i was 12-13, i fell/jumped off of a cliff and broke it again in many places. A rod was put through my leg with weights attached and i was stuck in bed for months. My first day outside in months, in a wheelchair, I was going too fast because i was happy to have sunlight hitting me, and i hit a rock, lifting me out of the chair onto the leg where it snapped, and another hole was made and a long time in traction AGAIN. I tried to get out at one point and even tore flesh and god knows what else. I JUST WANTED OUT!!! Now i am 24... I have pain that radiates/ burns/ from my lower back/hip down the back of my leg. And my knee kills me alot. EVERY morning when i get up i hurt. I have become addicted to a variety of opoids that i have found i need in some form or another. I get tired of them and quit for awhile because my life begins to evolve around them. But months later, i am right back because of the pain. You should see the looks i get being 24 and being on pain medicine. Like im a junkie. I cant stand it. I guess in a sense i am a junkie. It gets me depressed and very very angry. I get so frustrated that i ball up my fist and hit my leg, without thinking. The doctor told me after the third break that i could have problems with running and so on. ... so in junior high i won track and after high school i joined the military ..... ofcourse i never told them of my breaks. now im out and i hurt. This is some of my story..... Am i just F*****?!?!?!?

Wow, you have really been through alot, so sorry you have had such a rough time. My injuries were no where near as bad as yours and the pain was terrible , I can only imagine how much pain you have to deal with and I can understand how it would be easy to become dependent on the meds. Have you gotten 2nd, even 3rd opinions about what your future might hold for you. If not, it might be something you could look into in order to get some help for what you are going through. We are all pulling for you.

Take care,

Nanny

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM

189 posts, read 795,626 times
Hello everyone,

So glad to hear more good new, Joy sounds like you had a good trip and Mike and UT sounds like you are doing well too......so great to hear! UT, the cane will get easier for you. As Mike said, you use it on your good side and move it along with your bad leg, I am sure you will do just fine and before you know it you will not need the cane either. Cristina, I hope your appt goes well next week.

To all the newbies, welcome ..... you will find alot of support here, so stay in touch!

As for me, I am on a family vacation in the Outer Banks , NC. Just arrived last night. Staying on the beach in a big house with 21 other family members! It is great! Tried walking on the beach today and walking in the sand is pretty challenging. My sister sprained her ankle pretty good a couple of weeks ago, so we were both struggling, but for some reason we found it very funny trying to limp up a small sand dune together on the beach today! My PT gave me some helpful hints for traveling , so I am sticking to my exercises and of course I brought my ice packs along. I am just thankful that I am at the point where I can travel and spend this time with my family , even if I am sitting around alot more than usual.

Take care everyone! Keep pushing forward, things will get better for you with time!

Much Love,

Nanny

Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM

45 posts, read 297,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Welcome Linda,

So sorry about your injury, I cannot imaging flying on a plane that soon after surgery.....that had to be tough, but I understand needing to be at home. I completly agree with Bev's advice to fight for PT! There is now way I could get through this without PT, it has helped me tons!

I was not able to put weight on my leg right away either, I think it was 8-10 weeks NWB, then I started out very cautiously with help from my PT. Are you in an aircast boot? When I first began to WB it was in the aircast boot so I am just curious. I started with a walker, never did like crutches, then I used a cane. I was given the ok by my OS the first week of May to FWB as tolerated without my airboot cast and now I am in a regular shoe with no walker or cane.

It has been almost 5 months since my injury and I can walk without a limp if I go very slow, if I try to walk faster I still limp. I also limp without my shoes on, it is much harder to walk barefoot, but it is beginning to get a little easier. Most of my problems are around my ankle and just above it, I am still working on flexibility and ROM. If you have good flexibility and ROM in your ankle and knee, I would think you will do pretty good when you begin to FWB. I still have some pain and stiffnes and swelling, I elevate and ice at least 3 times a day to keep the swelling down.

As far as ever wearing heels again, I wonder the same thing. All I can wear right now are my gym shoes and crocks (very attractive). I know what you mean about not being able to carry anything, it is soooo frustrating! I was so excited when I could just carry a cup of coffee to my chair! You will get there soon too.

Goodluck on getting started with PT and let us know how you are progressing!

Take care,

Nanny

Hi Nanny-
Thanks for writing.....your info puts my mind at ease that I am not the only one that has been nwb this long. well i am 50% now the last couple of weeks. My leg still feel VERY weak and I am not sure how i will ever walk at this rate but a couple of times (maybe twice) I did do all my weight and took a couple steps. But my OS said not to do that becuse the bone growth wasnt enough to keep me from reinjuring myself. She said even with that rod all the way through my bone its just not enough to support it right now.
I have an airboot yes.....I just got a new non air boot from my OS last visit. The airboot is so worn out lol. The velcro wont stick well anymore. But I have both walking boots. The air boot is big and heavy. goodness. I feel like i barely have anything on with the new one.
5 months huh? Well hell...i have more than half of that done I think i can handle a little longer. I honestly know its going to take at least that.....I just cant see it happening sooner with the way it still feels now. my leg is still swollen a bit but not much and there is still brusing (i think more from the surgery than from the break) but really its not bad. some days it feels more sore and a littel more swollen than others when I have a long day.
I want off crutches and want to try to maybe get back to work soon. It is very hard for me because i have to depend on family right now. For everything!
I can wear my tennis shoes...havent tried anything else yet but I can get shoes on both my feet if i want to. I usually wear my boot all day long tho. The doctors never told me how long i should be wearing it each day. I usually keep it on through the evening a little bit and then sleep without it. It makes my leg itch like crazy! hehe.
I go back to the OS on the 16th. I can hardly wait to see new x rays. I want NEW BONE GROWTH!
I will come back and share any news I get. I am going to really push for some PT when I see my doctor. Shes a pretty nice lady so hopefully it wont be an issue. The only thing it says in my benefits book about physical therapy is that they cover it if it is medically necessary. I am thinking I would fall under that catagory!

Linda

Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,678 times
Default tibia and fibula broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
hi my name is larone and i had a wreck on a motorcycle. I broke both of my bones and wondering the same thing you are. my accident happened on Aril 4th 2009. If anyone know please let me know (just wondering).

Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,245 times
Hello everyone,
I fractured my fibula last week sunday afternoon which was May 31st, during my soccer game. I am going on vacation overseas exactly 7 weeks from the day i got hurt. It's not my first time on crutches but it is my first broken bone. Does anyone know if I'll be walking comfortably before then? I'm 22 years old and in good shape, if that helps.
Thanks

Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 AM

51 posts, read 159,892 times
Update..yesterday i went to my OS and the xrays are so far so good and also yesterday I shed my cane. The ankle pain is normal he said. The only problem I am having now is I cant lock out my left leg which makes me limp and look crippled. My PT gave me a couple excersises to do to help with that has anyone heard of not being able to extend the leg out straight and if so what did you do? Other than that it will be 14 weeks post op of a shattered knee and Tib Plateau and they said i am doin fine. Mike

Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 AM

larone and Greek Baller...It all depends where the fracture occurred mine was right below the knee cap which is bad. If the fracture was like in the middle you are better off they tell me. Greek Baller your age is on your side.I am 62 and have had great healing also the Fibula is not the major wb bone and yours will be faster. 7 weeks and you should be pretty good shape just stay off of it as much as possible and do what the dr says. Many people on here will give you tips and help you.Good luck!! larone,I asked the same question you did when i broke mine. I was told at the hospital that 12 weeks is the middle of the road for fwb but i was ahead of that. Your age and how healthy you are plays a role in it too. Good luck and keep us posted!! Mike

Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM
wyn

3 posts, read 6,862 times
I have been reading this forum looking for anecdotal information, and I figured I should tell my little tale as well. I joined the nasty tib/fib break club on Jan. 10th of this year. I was snowboarding when a skier cut me off, and I ended up under him in the ensuing collision. To make a long story short, he ended up falling backwards onto my left leg, and helped snap it over the back of my binding a couple inches above the ankle. I got surgery that night to fix the fibula, but the swelling was too bad, and the pieces too many to do anything about my tibia. So after a couple days in the hospital my brother helped cart me back home, and 3 weeks later, after the swelling had subsided a bit, I had a second surgery to piece my leg together plates and screws. Now, I'm not stranger to injuries. I have broken both arms, the left one twice, my left hand twice, my right wrist once, and my right foot. In addition, I had to have reconstructive surgery for a complete tear of the ACL in my left leg. I have screws in my right arm, a plate and screws in my wrist, and now plates and screws in left leg. Still, this is by and away the most difficult injury I have ever had to deal with.

I was non weight bearing until May 10th. I now have a walking cast and while I have been mostly crutch free since the beginning mid May, I wouldn't say all is well. My leg is in some state of pain almost constantly. It takes me a while to get going in the morning or whenever I get up after sitting for an extended period. I'm hopeful that this is just because my leg is finally rebuilding. I'm going back to the Dr. in a couple weeks where I will hopefully hear that things are progressing nicely. This certainly has been the slowest healing injury I have ever had. I'm glad I didn't know it would take this long when this whole mess started. Anyway, I'm done venting. I hope everyone heals quickly.

--Matt

Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,245 times
My fracture is right above my ankle and my doctor told me that he's gonna take my cast off after 5 weeks and put me in a lace up brace.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Greekballer, awesome news for you!!! just in time for your trip...good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness