Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 PM

27 posts, read 119,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hey guys,

One last thing I wanted to ask in regards to my broken leg. I just want to know how durable is our broken leg on bumps. At times, I am in my 5th week and at times, my family takes me out on a stroll with the wheelchair I have. Then we go over bumps and grooves that hits my leg.

Does anyone know how durable my leg can take these bumps? I guess I am being over protective on my leg but I can't help at times it may get bumped.
Thanks all.
I actually fell off my knee walker and really landed hard on my broken ankle while in a fiberglass cast. I think this was 3 or 4 weeks post OP. It hurt a bit so I called my OS, he did not seem all that worried. My next appointment was only a couple of days later so we decided to wait, the x-ray was just fine; no damage. I suspect small bumps are not an issue. I think a hard cast insulates the injured area pretty well.

Last edited by codeman; 04-03-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 03:50 PM

139 posts, read 588,122 times
Hello everyone, welcome newcomers. I am 11 weeks post from 1/14/09 injury update is since full weight bearing shin splints are very bad on left leg. I ice left leg and ice it all the time. I am not up much since I too like greenyes that work for doctors who need to have this happen to them for them to understand what you are going through. Swelling of ankle since full weight bearing dr cannot get handle on. I go back Tues. My theory is that is could be two titanium pins that are in that spot that may be causing the problem. Ketoprofen anti inflammatory one day it helps one day it does not. I asked about pool therapy and got a flat no not right now so whats going on inside my ankle who knows but when ankle is good its good and today its all red/purple color and swollen but no pain. I too also encountered two falls weeks after my injury from losing my balance and thankfully bones are all healed no damage. I never had air cast, cam boot made me break out and my foot would swell up real bad in it so just have support stockings and good $100 shoe. But it sure feels great to walk with a cane even though these difficulties. Thoughts and prayers with everyone.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:02 PM

20 posts, read 50,557 times
having screw ouythis thurs any input scared very scared its makng me sick

Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM

51 posts, read 159,868 times
its interesting to see all the levels of progress with everyone.today was my 2nd therapy. 30% bending of the knee with n o pain. still no weight bearing. also i drove myself to therapy and a few other places.my tibia on left leg was broken and some knee damage..i am 4 weeks post surgery..hoping when i see the surgeon mon he will let me start back to work,lite duty for a while until i am 100% well. i like the walker much better than the crutches..hopefully i will get to wb soon. anyone know when that may happen? mike

Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM

51 posts, read 186,828 times
blueeyz - sorry you are so scared- I am not sure what to expect, but try to be calm and stay relaxed. I know it is hard, but you don't want tomake yourself sick with the worry. If they are taking the screws out it must mean things have healed well enough - can't be nearly as bad as the initial injury! Stay positive, watch a funny movie or something, and keep your spirits up!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 54,309 times
Mike, I went full weight bearing a week ago, although I'm sure I am not putting ALL of my weight on it as of yet. My OS gave me a month to get there, and the next time I see him, I'm hoping that I am where he wants me to be.
Yesterday was my 1st day back at work, and I put in 4 hours. I put 4 hours in again today and the leg and foot were purple and pretty swollen. It went back to normal after sitting with my leg up for just a few hours.
I don't know how you are doing it without pain meds...my theory? Thank God for Vicodin! I also have Fibromyalgia, which basically means my entire body hurts ALL the time and the vicodin just makes my life SO much easier.
Hang in there Mike, find some games or puzzles or books to keep your mind sharp. Keep your leg elevated and do everything your OS tells you to do. You'll get there.
I forgot to mention...I am 15 weeks post surgery, having shattered both tib & fib, 2 plates, 16 screws.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:50 PM

68 posts, read 291,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpilkey View Post
I just fractured my tibula and fibula I have 8 plates and 16 pins. I am told I can NOT put any pressure on my leg for at least 6 months and if I do I could ruin it for life and lose use of my leg. I am scared to death. Can anyone relate or at least tell me what I am in for....

Scared and worried...
Just do what the doctor says. i can tell you that i was unsure about the weight baring but it is all good!!
Take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM

68 posts, read 291,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hi TgirlnVegas,

Sorry to hear your injury. I actually have a broken tibia and fibula. I needed surgery to have a rod inserted with screws at the top (by my knee) and bottom (ankle). I was in the hospital for 2 days after the surgery before I checked out but the hospital were trying to nicely push me out a day after. The thing is, if you are not comfortable leaving the way you are, then you can let them know. If you do have the surgery, you will be non-weight bearing meaning you would need crutches and the hospital physiotherapist would not clear you to leave until you are able to use them to move around.

I am going to say 1-3 days after surgery but hospitals will try to push you out nicely a day after.

Hope it helps and best wishes with your injury. Keep your head up!
I was inthe hospital 5 days and i felt like i was not ready to go home before that. my stay was great. I could not have gone home onmy own before that.

Hope that helps!!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 PM

139 posts, read 588,122 times
painful ......do not be scared. If you are getting them out it means all your bones are healed and are stable to be on their own. I just had that conversation with PT doc today stating they only take screws and metal out if they are sure your injury is able to handle it. I wish you well on Thursday.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 PM

64 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Well I am starting all over again after a year and a half of having whats called a non union of my proximal tibea. The doctor thinks this time I will heal properly in 6-8 weeks. I have learned that it is something you take day to day, every day you will be able to do more and more. It hurts like heck today but that is only because it is day two after the new surgery. Have you read some of the stories here? There are lots of great people here who are going through the same thing. I can tell by the way my leg feels that it is in better shape now than it did before the surgery. I believe this Doctor fixed my leg finally after a year and a half of walking on a broken leg!! I am exited to get better!! How do you feel?? Listen it sounds like you had a heck of a break but the good news is that you are here and have a leg to talk about right? They almost took my leg after the accident! So i am happy they did not. I have become more patient since my injury! What kind of pain meds do they have you on? Dont let them scare you. With your leg being as injured as it is you wont be running around for a while!!! How did your accident happen?

mike
Hey Mike,

How does this non-union occur? I am actually a but worried. Does this type of thing occur frequentky? How did it happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.