Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 03:08 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,278,576 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of us lost interest when you refused to get tested for Covid. I mean really, what do you expect anyone to do when you refuse to get tested for one of the prime suspects for lingering coughs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 03:17 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
I get a lingering cough starting around December and it lasts until March, then goes away. When it happened last year, I tested negative for covid. I take no prescription meds, so I think it may be the dry air from the indoor radiator heat in the winter.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Have you been tested for allergies?

Old 09-25-2022, 02:29 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yep. My brother said, "If I don't believe I can get COVID, I won't get COVID". Then when he and my sister were cleaning out my late mother's house, he got a "cold". He would take a break now and then and go lie down for half an hour then get up and start working again. My sister was worried about him because he has a genetic heart defect. It passed after a few days.

Two weeks later, my sister was in a hospital on a ventilator fighting for her life. Seven weeks later she came out alive but still has effects of it more than a year later, some of which appears to be permanent damage. It's not always just about one's own self, giggle giggle giggle, COVID's nothing because I just had symptoms like a cold. To his credit, my brother felt terrible that he almost killed our sister with his stupidity, and it took her a while to forgive him.

To the OP: Just to be safe, buy an oximeter and use it if you don't have one. My sister's primary COVID symptom at home was terrible diarrhea. She did also have a cough, but then she got so weak she called the doctor and asked at what point she should go to a hospital. He said get an oximeter, and if the reading is less than 90, go to the hospital. Hers was 74. That's the thing with COVID. You may not have any idea that the oxygen is not getting through because it FEELS as if you are breathing OK. That's how they find those people dead at home who never felt sick enough to go the doctor.

I hope it is just allergies, which get me, too, but maybe check out your O2 levels.

I agree she needs the meter in case she does get a bad COVID that attacks the lungs or even a reaction from the wild fires that affect the breathing, even pneumonia. They're good to have for when you are sick, as a just in case because if you get something that affects the lower lobes of the lung(s) you won't know it until it's too late, then you land in the ER, going straight to the ventilator like your sister. I'm sure anyone who's read about your sister would buy one to regularly use when sick. Your sister is very lucky to be alive.

A Samsung cell phone has one built into the health app. Not all Samsung phones have it, I have a note 9. It is very useful. If Forever Blue has a Samsung cell phone like mine she won't need to buy one. I looked to see if there was an iphone app, there isn't, I don't recall if there's one for androids.

Trying to find a reliable meter on Amazon can take time reading reviews. Normally there were decent ones under $30 but by the time I bought my daughter one last October they had gone up in price. I spent close to $40 for hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Going on 2 wks now since last wk of July, I believe, I've developed this cough & have no idea why. I don't have allergies & haven't been sick. There were a couple of days when I thought it was getting better, but it's not. My nose isn't running at all, no sore throat, no fever, just coughing.

The feeling is the URGE to cough & it's even hard to talk sometimes because the cough will come. I can feel mucous in my throat & after coughing, it seems I have to spit more & more. The mucous is clear, thin liquid, sorry for TMI.)

I've always taken lots of vitamins, drank water, etc., so I don't know what's happening. So I've been taking vitamins C, in fact, liposomal C. Also D3, & a lot more. I'll cough & spit every few mins. It hasn't been nearly as bad in the evening/night.

There's been the wildfires & I thought that may be affecting me, but it's not affecting my fiance' at all & I think those are up in northern CA. I'm in southern CA.

Guess I better see the doctor soon, but anyone know what I can do at home in the meantime? Something I can gargle w/, etc.? I try to go as holistic w/ remedies as much as I can. (Never had COVID, btw.)

If you've been coughing since the fires, there is a good chance they are affecting you, even though they don't bother your fiance. I have a 2nd cousin in North Cali who is affected by the wild fires. She's been wearing a mask when she goes out.

You really should ask for a lung x-ray. Do you have an urgent care near by? Walk in, ask for a lung x-ray. They should have a machine. God forbid you have lung cancer or some lung issue from the wild fire smoke.

I agree with others that you should have gone to a place like CVS to get a COVID test just in case because some people only have a cough. You can still go to CVS to get tested for free, if you had COVID, the test could be positive for over 3 months. I would not do a rapid home test, those aren't reliable as we can see from the poster who was treated for COVID who's surgery was canceled due to a positive test. I guess his hospital doesn't know he could test positive for that long. It's not a place I would go. They should do his surgery after the amount of quarantine after a positive test. If they don't do that then they're really morons.

Your symptoms are similar to mine from last year but mine is due to acid reflux. Same thing with what you describe with having to cough, I also bring up the same. You could have acid reflux from breathing in the smoke.

I replied to you in another thread, OTC medicine for sinus congestion, didn't realize you had one until now.

Here is my reply from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's a long time to have a cough. Maybe you should consider seeing an ENT to be scoped. You may have sinus drip or acid reflux that you don't realize you have like me. Over time, it will inflame everything if that's what it is. I also have a cough, bringing stuff up.

I woke up one day in Spring 2021, felt like I had a walnut behind my tongue. I immediately found an ENT in the same complex as my GP. They ended up getting me in that day. She sent me for a neck CT, the script said tongue cancer, scared the heck out of me because I'd been fighting an HPV that causes oral cancers. I then had a neck ultrasound when they thought they saw something on my thyroid. From there I had what started as a voice box scope that turned into a swallow test too which all turned into nothing but acid reflux that was causing my symptoms which I still have.

Right before the throat issue, I had done cologuard which showed positive for blood or cancer, so was also seeing a gastro. I decided I was going to do a colonoscopy plus and endoscopy since I'd be knocked out anyway. Gastro agreed. Turned out nothing at all in my colon, the gastro said there was a lot of acid in my stomach which did a number on everything.

I was on generic prilosec for 4 or so months, it did nothing. I finally had my GP switch me to a generic nexium which did help but my insurance this year does not cover it so I'm screwed.

The cough drops you linked to are like buying gold. Talk about expensive. We like the Honees. The wife of one of my 2nd cousins was having cough and congestion issues that wouldn't let up. I gave him the link to them on Amazon, he bought some, said they helped her too. Now he keeps a bag at home.

I know others who like fisherman's friend. I don't like the taste.

I saved a recipe for honey and lemon jelly to add to hot water or tea which is supposed to help. It's pretty simple, slice then halve two lemons. Slice two pieces of fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and index fingers) into coin sized pieces. About 1 cup of honey, local honey is best. Optional 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Layer lemon and ginger in a small Ball jar. Pour the honey over it. It may take time for the honey to get down to the bottom. If there is not enough honey covering the lemon and ginger, add more honey.

Close the jar, putting in the fridge. The recipe says it will turn into a jelly that you can then add to hot tea or water. Good for sore throats, I'd think coughs too. My MIL used to drink hot water with fresh lemons and honey for sore throats and coughs.

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-25-2022 at 02:38 AM..

Old 09-25-2022, 06:54 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
There are several common viruses and the pertussis bug that will give you symptoms of a typical common cold for a week or so, then persist as a dry, hacking cough for up to three months. That's also the most common scenario leading the the diagnosis of "Long CoVid" (big deal)....You won't die. You don't feel sick. So who cares if you get the test to "prove it" or not? There's no specific tx.

Winter cough is very common-- caused by the irritation of dry &/or cold air. Excessively humid air can also cause it....More common in those with asthma &/or sinus problems & nasal polyps.

Treatment includes using a humidifier in the house and sucking on hard candy to stimulate the swallowing reflex unconsciously....No need to spend extra on "medicated" cough drops. We've all used "cough syrups." Is there any honest person who thinks they work?

Of course there's always the possibility that chronic coughs are more serious- COPD, tumors, TB, pulmonary hypertension, various cardiac problems and even aortic aneurysm etc.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:56 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I appreciate your comments guys! I'm definitely going to get to the bottom of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yep. My brother said, "If I don't believe I can get COVID, I won't get COVID". Then when he and my sister were cleaning out my late mother's house, he got a "cold". He would take a break now and then and go lie down for half an hour then get up and start working again. My sister was worried about him because he has a genetic heart defect. It passed after a few days.

Two weeks later, my sister was in a hospital on a ventilator fighting for her life. Seven weeks later she came out alive but still has effects of it more than a year later, some of which appears to be permanent damage. It's not always just about one's own self, giggle giggle giggle, COVID's nothing because I just had symptoms like a cold. To his credit, my brother felt terrible that he almost killed our sister with his stupidity, and it took her a while to forgive him.

To the OP: Just to be safe, buy an oximeter and use it if you don't have one. My sister's primary COVID symptom at home was terrible diarrhea. She did also have a cough, but then she got so weak she called the doctor and asked at what point she should go to a hospital. He said get an oximeter, and if the reading is less than 90, go to the hospital. Hers was 74. That's the thing with COVID. You may not have any idea that the oxygen is not getting through because it FEELS as if you are breathing OK. That's how they find those people dead at home who never felt sick enough to go the doctor.

I hope it is just allergies, which get me, too, but maybe check out your O2 levels.

Mightyqueen801, I'm sorry I didn't reply re: your comment sooner. It's new to me, so I didn't remember that oximeter was what it's called & I know at my dr's office, they do that every time when they weigh me & take my blood pressure. I had to look up whaty the danger zone is again & it's being BELOW 95. Mine was 97/98 when I jsut tested myself just now. My mom got it for me a while back. It's a Medline brand one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you been tested for allergies?

ss20ts, when I knew I was going to have bloodwork done soon, I had called my dr's office a couple days after saying I wanted a food allergy test because I wanted to test for something else too, but didn't just say plain, "allergy". I don't think they put it in that bloodwork order anyway & I'm surprised my dr didn't just go ahead & want to test for it since I was getting bloodwork done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
...If you've been coughing since the fires, there is a good chance they are affecting you, even though they don't bother your fiance. I have a 2nd cousin in North Cali who is affected by the wild fires. She's been wearing a mask when she goes out.

You really should ask for a lung x-ray. Do you have an urgent care near by? Walk in, ask for a lung x-ray. They should have a machine. God forbid you have lung cancer or some lung issue from the wild fire smoke.

I agree with others that you should have gone to a place like CVS to get a COVID test just in case because some people only have a cough. You can still go to CVS to get tested for free, if you had COVID, the test could be positive for over 3 months. I would not do a rapid home test, those aren't reliable as we can see from the poster who was treated for COVID who's surgery was canceled due to a positive test. I guess his hospital doesn't know he could test positive for that long. It's not a place I would go. They should do his surgery after the amount of quarantine after a positive test. If they don't do that then they're really morons.

Your symptoms are similar to mine from last year but mine is due to acid reflux. Same thing with what you describe with having to cough, I also bring up the same. You could have acid reflux from breathing in the smoke.

I replied to you in another thread, OTC medicine for sinus congestion, didn't realize you had one until now.

Here is my reply from there.

Roselvr, you saw my reply about the oximeter above & I know I'll have to probe more into this & will ask for more tests, allergy test, lung x-ray, etc. & re: mask-wearing, I never stopped 1x whenever I go out since 2.5 yrs ago.

After reading your reply in the, "OTC medicine for sinus congestion" thread, thanks so much for taking the time to post all that! Yes, a seeingly harmless (or not) cough can be the starting symptom for a whole array of health ailments, so I do want to check further into this & I hope your health gets better too OR is these days!

Old 09-25-2022, 07:02 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
There are several common viruses and the pertussis bug that will give you symptoms of a typical common cold for a week or so, then persist as a dry, hacking cough for up to three months. That's also the most common scenario leading the the diagnosis of "Long CoVid" (big deal)....You won't die. You don't feel sick. So who cares if you get the test to "prove it" or not? There's no specific tx.

Winter cough is very common-- caused by the irritation of dry &/or cold air. Excessively humid air can also cause it....More common in those with asthma &/or sinus problems & nasal polyps.

Treatment includes using a humidifier in the house and sucking on hard candy to stimulate the swallowing reflex unconsciously....No need to spend extra on "medicated" cough drops. We've all used "cough syrups." Is there any honest person who thinks they work?

Of course there's always the possibility that chronic coughs are more serious- COPD, tumors, TB, pulmonary hypertension, various cardiac problems and even aortic aneurysm etc.

guidoLaMoto, thank you too! You posted while I was typing up/posting my latest reply. I'll probably need a lung x-ray again by now anyway. Back in 2017, out of the pure blue, I had a situation, which I started a thread here so I'm not typing it out again, so yes to stay brief, lung x-ray isn't a bad idea. Thank God my breathing's been good!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alte...l#post47904406

More detail from my 2017 respiratory ordeal in case anyone cares to read:

I was diagnosed w/ allergic asthma! I even got a 2nd opinion from a more renown pulmonologist. It all started out of the blue in Jan 2017 w/o any previous respiratory issues, allergies, etc. at all.

My lung x-ray showed a 3mm size nodule that was inconclusive, but when I took my 2nd or maybe my 3rd routine chest x-ray, it was no longer there!

Throughout 2017-2019, I had a few scary unexplainable, occurrences w/ my breathing, but fortunately only went to the ER the 1st scary time when this whole asthma thing started.

My breathing's been good again since most of 2019 & beyond, thank God! But, I'm thinking I should always keep my 2 inhalers at all times just in case because I never know if I'll need them. I need to get a refill because the last ones I've had expired long ago.

I also have to remember to be careful when I eat because there were a couple of times long ago now when I inhaled a piece of food when I was eating. I went to urgent care for one of them.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 09-25-2022 at 07:11 AM..

Old 09-25-2022, 08:07 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Regarding cough drops, I've tried manuka honey throat drops w/ 60ppm SilverSol (whatever that is) by the brand Silver Biotics (link below), but of course it doesn't take it away permanently:

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/silv...zenges/abl1007
I suggest taking actual Manuka honey which might have a more powerful effect. I have used this one to get rid of a chronic cough within 48 hours using a teaspoon 3x/day

https://www.iherb.com/pr/manuka-heal...oz-250-g/59631

An herbal cough syrup might help and Gaia is a good brand.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/gaia-herbs-...z-160-ml/12001

Old 09-25-2022, 09:08 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
I've had my cough (including throat clearing & still spitting) for about 2 MONTHS now w/ no other symptoms (no fever, sore throat, etc.) & I'm so sick of it. I went back to my dr a few days ago & she said to continue the sudafed & zyrtec & see her again if not gone in 3-4 wks. They help somewhat, but, I can't tk sudafed & zyrtec (nor Mucinex or others) forever, so I think I'll have to probe more to get to the bottom of this.

Regarding cough drops, I've tried manuka honey throat drops w/ 60ppm SilverSol (whatever that is) by the brand Silver Biotics (link below), but of course it doesn't take it away permanently:

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/silv...zenges/abl1007
SilverSol is colloidal silver. Great on burns. Useless for anything else and can turn your skin and the whites of your eyes permanently blue if you ingest it daily long-term (no joke - look it up).

For allergies - make sure you get a blood test from a licensed physician (as opposed to a chiropractor or naturopath). There are blood tests that non-physicans run, that return the same results on everyone: eggs, wheat, dairy, string beans, and liver. It's not possible for EVERY patient to be allergic to the same things, and it's been proven that some people who had no allergies at all, were told they were allergic to these things.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:40 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
guidoLaMoto, thank you too! You posted while I was typing up/posting my latest reply. I'll probably need a lung x-ray again by now anyway. Back in 2017, out of the pure blue, I had a situation, which I started a thread here so I'm not typing it out again, so yes to stay brief, lung x-ray isn't a bad idea. Thank God my breathing's been good!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alte...l#post47904406

More detail from my 2017 respiratory ordeal in case anyone cares to read:

I was diagnosed w/ allergic asthma! I even got a 2nd opinion from a more renown pulmonologist. It all started out of the blue in Jan 2017 w/o any previous respiratory issues, allergies, etc. at all.

My lung x-ray showed a 3mm size nodule that was inconclusive, but when I took my 2nd or maybe my 3rd routine chest x-ray, it was no longer there!

Throughout 2017-2019, I had a few scary unexplainable, occurrences w/ my breathing, but fortunately only went to the ER the 1st scary time when this whole asthma thing started.

My breathing's been good again since most of 2019 & beyond, thank God! But, I'm thinking I should always keep my 2 inhalers at all times just in case because I never know if I'll need them. I need to get a refill because the last ones I've had expired long ago.

I also have to remember to be careful when I eat because there were a couple of times long ago now when I inhaled a piece of food when I was eating. I went to urgent care for one of them.

Funny because I had similar with a lung x-ray about the same time. Mine was on an MRI for over a year then went away right before COVID. I was due to go back in June 2020 but haven't.

I'm still dealing with acid reflux, nothing really helps, so yes, I have the cough where I still bring stuff up.

Keep after the doctor to run tests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness