Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 05:19 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

This went sideways. I'm out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-12-2022, 06:14 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I've had IBS-D for many years and in 2017 was dx with an IBD called Microscopic colitis. Spent years in misery and lost 40lbs because I couldn't absorb any nutrients from food. Both were diagnosed through colonoscopy with biopsies.

There is a lab called EnteroLab, that diagnoses food sensitivity through a stool sample. It's kind of pricey though, I didn't do that, I did elimination diet. Quit gluten, dairy, fiber, soy, fresh fruit, fresh veggies. I started with chicken and rice. for 3 days, then added potatoes, 3 days and so on. I have a very limited diet. High protein, seems to work best for me.

There is no cure. I do get IBS symptoms which are different for me that IBD symptoms.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:17 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I've had IBS-D for many years and in 2017 was dx with an IBD called Microscopic colitis. Spent years in misery and lost 40lbs because I couldn't absorb any nutrients from food. Both were diagnosed through colonoscopy with biopsies.

There is a lab called EnteroLab, that diagnoses food sensitivity through a stool sample. It's kind of pricey though, I didn't do that, I did elimination diet. Quit gluten, dairy, fiber, soy, fresh fruit, fresh veggies. I started with chicken and rice. for 3 days, then added potatoes, 3 days and so on. I have a very limited diet. High protein, seems to work best for me.

There is no cure. I do get IBS symptoms which are different for me that IBD symptoms.
If you can't have any fresh fruit or veggies, how do you get enough vitamins and minerals? Supplement pills?

I LOVE good healthy food, would hate to give that up. But I really want to minimize the misery.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I guess we just have to pay attention to what goes into our stomach and how we feel. I used to not worry about it.

If the effects are delayed that can be a real problem though. Because then it would be so hard to figure out what caused what.

I figured herbal tea was safe, but maybe not.
Unfortunately everyone is different. I know on here that someone mentioned rice, but that much rice would just make me feel bloated and lethargic. The issues can also change over time. I am also a heavy mint tea drinker because it can help with stomach issues and headaches, but there was a time when I couldn’t have it. I also like chamomile and ginger for stomach problems. After a while you do figure it out. For me a real trigger is some of the TJ’s Indian meals. Thai red curry is almost guaranteed, but I don’t have a problem with green at all. I think the last time I tried to do a combination of avoiding items that were high FODMAPs and items that contributed to severe reflux. I also had to take some reflux medications because the effects were just unbearable.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Unfortunately everyone is different. I know on here that someone mentioned rice, but that much rice would just make me feel bloated and lethargic. The issues can also change over time. I am also a heavy mint tea drinker because it can help with stomach issues and headaches, but there was a time when I couldn’t have it. I also like chamomile and ginger for stomach problems. After a while you do figure it out. For me a real trigger is some of the TJ’s Indian meals. Thai red curry is almost guaranteed, but I don’t have a problem with green at all. I think the last time I tried to do a combination of avoiding items that were high FODMAPs and items that contributed to severe reflux. I also had to take some reflux medications because the effects were just unbearable.
Reflux is really horrible, but I seldom get it. I think I used to get it only if I drank a lot of coffee.

I have been avoiding all hot peppers and salsa, even though I love them, because I suspect they might be one trigger.

If I can just have one cup of coffee every day, please God, I can give up all the rest.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:51 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Can be kinda tough.

I have been tested twice for food-allergies, nothing, not even a blip with regards to
me being allergic to any food that was tested.

But I know that I do indeed have reactions to certain foods.......may not be technically an
allergic-reaction, but still a negative response to some foods when I eat them.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Can be kinda tough.

I have been tested twice for food-allergies, nothing, not even a blip with regards to
me being allergic to any food that was tested.

But I know that I do indeed have reactions to certain foods.......may not be technically an
allergic-reaction, but still a negative response to some foods when I eat them.
I think food allergies and food sensitivities are two different things, but I am not sure what the difference is. The only food allergy I have, according to allergy tests, is peanuts. But peanuts don't actually bother me, and I don't usually eat them anyway.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:18 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
I never had anything like IBS in my entire life, and I am old. This started suddenly, after covid vaccines. So I guess it must be autoimmune. It might actually be hopeless, if anything and everything can trigger it.

I knew someone who had autoimmune IBS her entire life, but it was mostly constipation. Doctors gave her various harmful drugs but nothing really helped.

I know that medical doctors are not much use with autoimmune diseases. That is why I am not rushing off to see one. They are also mostly very closed minded about covid vaccine side effects.

I want to do as much as I can, on my own, to try to narrow down triggers. I don't think it's a food allergy. I think it's autoimmune, involving the nerves, but some things might trigger it more than others.

I also know another person who got this right after the vaccines. She said avoiding gluten helped a little.

You don't seem to need a doctor. You seem to have it all figured out based on hunches.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:24 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
I think food allergies and food sensitivities are two different things, but I am not sure what the difference is. The only food allergy I have, according to allergy tests, is peanuts. But peanuts don't actually bother me, and I don't usually eat them anyway.
Yes, they are different. I am gluten sensitive, not celiac.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You don't seem to need a doctor. You seem to have it all figured out based on hunches.
If you want to debate, go to the controversies forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness