Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,032 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it is just in Houston or all over.... but have you visited the schools lately and noticed all the zombie kids. Talking with the teachers it sounds as if half the kids today are on drugs for various forms of attention deficient disorders.

What's going on? Is it from the over processed foods altering the brain chemistry or perhaps the growth hormones given to our food sources? It is awful...these poor kids are missing out on their own lives and the parents are running in circles trying to find answers.

Heartbreaking....Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:44 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Yep, you said it.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
imho and in my dads as well-lol, barring real problems, I think most "attention" disorders could be treated with a good old trip behind the woodshed more often. then unplug the video games, the cell phones and mtv, the cartoon channel, and find something constuctive for the kids to doo.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
imho and in my dads as well-lol, barring real problems, I think most "attention" disorders could be treated with a good old trip behind the woodshed more often. then unplug the video games, the cell phones and mtv, the cartoon channel, and find something constuctive for the kids to doo.
violence begets violence whether it's directed toward one self or others.
so i'll just assume you're kidding about the woodshed.
sure, it's a good way to control a child ... although, not really and studies show that corporal punishment is not as effective as people (people who beat their kids that is) would like to believe.
perhaps, in the past, it was an effective way to achieve control and conformity but we're living in am entirely different society.
hit an adult, you get arrested but hit a child and it's called punishment.
i think that we're seeing the "fruits" of that kind of punishment.
but yeah, the cell-phones, computers, t.v., etc. .... the entire hyper stimulated culture isn't helping to raise balanced and healthy children.
i see these kids as "canary's in the coal mine".
they're manifesting the ills of the entire culture and instead of seeing that and dealing with that, we medicate the kids ..... it's criminal.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I don't know if it is just in Houston or all over.... but have you visited the schools lately and noticed all the zombie kids. Talking with the teachers it sounds as if half the kids today are on drugs for various forms of attention deficient disorders.

What's going on? Is it from the over processed foods altering the brain chemistry or perhaps the growth hormones given to our food sources? It is awful...these poor kids are missing out on their own lives and the parents are running in circles trying to find answers.

Heartbreaking....Sunny
It's called television and video games. Studies have proven that these types of electronic devices actually remap the synaptic functioning of the brain. They make us think differently and behave differently. Those parents who are running in circles, need to run over to the television and turn it off.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Branson, do you have documentation for this? I'm very interested in credible research that I can pass on to a friend.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
violence begets violence whether it's directed toward one self or others.
so i'll just assume you're kidding about the woodshed.
sure, it's a good way to control a child ... although, not really and studies show that corporal punishment is not as effective as people (people who beat their kids that is) would like to believe.
perhaps, in the past, it was an effective way to achieve control and conformity but we're living in am entirely different society.
hit an adult, you get arrested but hit a child and it's called punishment.
i think that we're seeing the "fruits" of that kind of punishment.
but yeah, the cell-phones, computers, t.v., etc. .... the entire hyper stimulated culture isn't helping to raise balanced and healthy children.
i see these kids as "canary's in the coal mine".
they're manifesting the ills of the entire culture and instead of seeing that and dealing with that, we medicate the kids ..... it's criminal.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
nope. wasnt kidding at all. what the problem is, is that parents dont wanna discipline their children, and when their children get a little older and they cant handle them, then they wanna take them to a doctor to "medicate" them. what the problem is, is that we live in a society today that is politically correct or just flat out lazy that people would rather let their child grow up and be someone else problem when it come to behavior. Id really like to see a study of how many people who grew up in the early 1900s whose parents did take them behind the woodshed verses todays society where punishment is sometimes not even there, just tral la la, let the doctor give little johnny some more meds. ..ill get off my soapbox now

Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,285 times
Parents need to get their kids off the video games and stop them watching so much TV. A lot of parents are too busy working or too lazy to take their kids out or get them into some physical activity or sport.

Also all this Attention Deficit - some of it is rubbish - the kids are bored, they act up - mummy thinks they have attention deficit, takes them to the Dr who fills them up with drugs to numb the brain.

Kids have full batteries. You can't just sit them down doing nothing all day, boring them out of their minds then expect them to be little angels.

I feel sorry for the kids.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Parents need to get their kids off the video games and stop them watching so much TV. A lot of parents are too busy working or too lazy to take their kids out or get them into some physical activity or sport.

Also all this Attention Deficit - some of it is rubbish - the kids are bored, they act up - mummy thinks they have attention deficit, takes them to the Dr who fills them up with drugs to numb the brain.

Kids have full batteries. You can't just sit them down doing nothing all day, boring them out of their minds then expect them to be little angels.

I feel sorry for the kids.
I've also noticed parents are too concerned about "self esteem" that they don't set boundaries or discipline their kids. Children need and want boundaries, routines, and structure. Learning how to behave in society and having good social skills is one of the best ways to develop a healthy self-esteem.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
Touchy subject, mainly because I don't want to offend anyone who does have their child on medication. I applaud parents for doing what they can to try and get their children well. So I'm not trying to discredit the efforts that are being made.

There have been some threads on here lately about people being over-medicated, and children these days are no exception. Just like with adults, doctors and drug companies are creating disorders that don't exist, and giving children medication which is only masking what the real issues are.

It's not as if ADD has been around since the very beginning, it's still a fairly new disorder when you think about it. There are many things you can point the finger to in terms of children dealing with these issues, but is it truly ADD? Or is it a poor diet, excessive sugar intake, problems at home, etc. that are the real source? I tend to lean towards it being many different issues, rather than a child just having something called ADD, and being told he or she was just born with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness