Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,527 times

Advertisements

I am amazed at the number of people in this country who choose to smoke and have often wondered why they would want do so in the first place. Unlike a few decades ago, it is no secret that smoking is very hazardous to your health. Heart disease, cancer, increased risk of heart attacks and lower immune systems are the most serious consequences. Yet, millions of people voluntarily fill their lungs with carcinogens and pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year in the process.

I confess that I really don't understand the mindset behind smoking. I realize that it is addictive and there are many people trying to quit. But why start smoking and why are there so many who seem oblivious to the effects on their health? What is so attractive about smoking that people will risk destroying their health and cutting their lives short? Don't you want to see your kids grow up?

Some people probably think they would rather sacrifice a few years of their life since the extra time would be no good to them if they can't smoke. I attended a funeral of a woman who was a heavy smoker and had a massive heart attack. She was only 46. She could have easily lived another 40 years. Amazingly, many family members were outside smoking after the funeral. I have also known people at work who died of lung cancer and heart attacks in their 40's. It does not seem worth it to take the risk of dying young or, if you do live longer, having a very poor quality of life because your health has been so damaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
I started smoking cigars when I was 14, because my dad and uncle did, then I would drink and smoke cigarettes around 18, 19. It wasnt until I had kids of my own and the doc told me that my BP may be gettin a little high did I quit at 28--cold turkey. havent had another since. I guess it scared me, cause I want to be around to play with my Grandkids!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
A better question would be, "why do people use crack?" If you think someone has poor health from smoking tobacco, have you ever seen a meth user? They all knew going into it the first time what they were up against, and I would bet that "living long enough to raise their kids" was not the thought on their mind when they took their first hit. So, do you have as much contempt for your local crack smokers, as you do for the tobacco smokers?

Old 06-13-2007, 04:37 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
Because nicotine and all the chemicals they put in cigarettes are highly addictive. They have done studies in the last 10 years that they are adding more addictive substances to cigarettes which makes it more difficult to quit.

I don't think most people "choose" to smoke. Experts have said that nicotine addiction is right up there with heroin and as painful to try to stop for some people.

If you have never smoked, good for you!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
Try visiting other countries ... smoking is still very much alive and popular.

I smoked for a summer in college when I lived abroad. It was a social thing but after I came back to the states, I stopped. I never even bought a pack of cigarettes ... I just bummed off people.

Now, I can't stand it!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
see, I do believe people choose to smoke....the very first time someone asks them if they want one or go and buy that first pack. It's the initial choice and the few after that will determine an addict. Why make that first choice?

I've just always made the choice not be ANY kind of addict. I choose to have the control over my life.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM

23 posts, read 97,496 times
Some people say they can't stop and other's say they enjoy it. Either is OK with me. If that is what they want to do.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,728 times
it's because smoking makes you look cool and smell great

Old 06-16-2007, 08:51 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
I have never met anyone yet who liked their first cigarette. Yet they continued with smoking, peer pressure, wanting to be cool whatever the reasons, I am still amazed people do it.
I had about half a cigarette at 14 , was virtually sick it was so vile and thought never again. How can people become addicted to something so vile tasting, also knowing it is bad for you and the people around you? I will never get it.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
smoking did not shorten George Burns life he lived to 100

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness