Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,704,111 times

Advertisements

MSG: Is This Silent Killer Lurking in Your Kitchen Cabinets?
Quote:
A widespread and silent killer that's worse for your health than alcohol, nicotine and many drugs is likely lurking in your kitchen cabinets right now.[1] "It" is monosodium glutamate (MSG), a flavor enhancer that's known widely as an addition to Chinese food, but that's actually added to thousands of the foods you and your family regularly eat, especially if you are like most Americans and eat the majority of your food as processed foods or in restaurants.

MSG is one of the worst food additives on the market and is used in canned soups, crackers, meats, salad dressings, frozen dinners and much more. It's found in your local supermarket and restaurants, in your child's school cafeteria and, amazingly, even in baby food and infant formula.

MSG is more than just a seasoning like salt and pepper, it actually enhances the flavor of foods, making processed meats and frozen dinners taste fresher and smell better, salad dressings more tasty, and canned foods less tinny.

While MSG's benefits to the food industry are quite clear, this food additive could be slowly and silently doing major damage to your health.

Last edited by tao; 04-22-2009 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: edited to include a snippet of the article. Posting full articles is a violation of the TOS - it's copyright infringement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
I like Chinese food though, those stray cats are damn good eating.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,370 times
its soy..a natural glutamic acid which once ingested is turned into msg........

also called "natural flavoring" natural cuz it comes from the soy bean....

sneaky huh.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:38 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
Yeah, it's sneaky allright. I had health problems for years caused by this crap, and I didn't even know I was eating it. I avoided anything labelled 'monosodium glutamate' because I knew it was supposed to be bad for you, but I didn't know about all of the other sneaky ingredients they use to get MSG into the food.

I would have sore throats, inflamed sinuses, headaches and shortness of breath. The reactions I would have to the MSG were delayed for about 12-14 hours, so that made it harder to figure out.

I finally found out what was wrong with me in 2002 when I discovered the book "Food Allergies, The Complete Guide to Understanding and Relieving your Food Allergies" by William Walsh, MD. What a lifesaver that book was for me.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,496,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
This is weird, do you know that MSG is a natural substance?
I thought you like everything natural?
So how come you know which natural substance are good or bad, especially when soy product have been used for centuries

Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
This is weird, do you know that MSG is a natural substance?
I thought you like everything natural?
So how come you know which natural substance are good or bad, especially when soy product have been used for centuries
Poison Ivy's a natural substance, too. Doesn't mean it's good for you.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
......"worse for your health than alcohol, nicotine and many drugs"

Oh the humanity!!!!

People are literally dying in the streets from this insidious poison

Certainly this info MUST be true if it came from a Mercola publication

Old 04-23-2009, 03:49 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
And surely MSG must be okay, since after all, it's FDA approved.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,747 times
I know of a lady at my place of worship that invited us to dinner, and I saw the bottle of
what appeared to be MSG, and I said to her (mind you , she was just dumping it into everything)
while she was using it in a matter of fact tone, that I'm not going to be able to have anything with MSG in in it, I'm allergic to it" and she showed me the bottle and it was not, it was a tenderizer made from natural veg and fruit sugars.. The food tasted great, and I was semi embarassed.
But her 91 year mother uses msg in everything I mean, "Accent", not seasoning salt...
I told her that i haven't seen this bottle since the seventies ; when I used to consume it.
it makes my head feel like it's going to explode...
But check out the tenderizer on google , I can't think of the name of it off hand..

Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Oh the humanity!!!!
exactly what I scream with each dibilitating migraine caused by the stuff..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness