Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think we are all made to eat different things. I have an estrogen dominate body and find soy is fine for me. I do not eat it all the time. But it really gives me a boost to have that silk soy milk. I would like to get an extractor to make my own strait from the bean. That is such a bummer too becuase soy flour chocolate chip cookies are the best! LOL

I do wonder too is this all from other things in our environment like the chemicals we still have in our soils and in our products. Dermal medications are very effective. So smearing lotion with PABA in it would be effective at giving some breast development.

I thin the Asian diet that is water rich and vegetable rich clears the system of excess where an American way of eating does not. The way of eating has one day of fasting in some cultures that clears the system of excess as well. The American system...well if we are not eating every 4 hours we act like someone is going to drop dead. LOL
The hardly eat beef or corn. We eat a ton of it. Those hormones they shove into the cows system is going right into you too.

Also the Asian body usually does not have high amounts of breast tissue in men or women unless a lot of weight is gained. Of course you will have your random one. But as a generally they are not corn fed Nebraska girls.No matter what your sex is..If you have a higher amount of fat you are going to have some more estrogen in there as well. Americans are fatter.
Oh yeaa...shes back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 AM

143 posts, read 377,910 times
Gynecomastia is caused by an increase of estrogen to testosterone ratio.

All humans produce estrogen and testosterone but when a certain level of estrogen is reached, breasts formation is seen.

So instead of bashing soy, people should realize that most Americans get 'man boobs' because they are too fat. Adipose is not merely a repository for fat, it is also one of the main peripheral source for aromatase, a key enzyme for estrogen production.

That's why Sumo wrestlers have gynecomastia. It's not because they slurped too much tofu, it's because they have too much fat on them.

Ah, how I love my endocrine lectures!

FWIW, east Asians have been using soy has their primary source of protein throughout history. Soy, when eaten in it's non processed form, is incredibly cheap and nutritious source of protein (in east Asia). If people want to find something to cut back on to prevent 'man boob's, I'd recommend cutting back on red meat and avoiding processed foods.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post

All humans produce estrogen and testosterone but when a certain level of estrogen is reached, breasts formation is seen.

So instead of bashing soy, people should realize that most Americans get 'man boobs' because they are too fat. Adipose is not merely a repository for fat, it is also one of the main peripheral source for aromatase, a key enzyme for estrogen production.

That's why Sumo wrestlers have gynecomastia. It's not because they slurped too much tofu, it's because they have too much fat on them.

FWIW, east Asians have been using soy has their primary source of protein throughout history. Soy, when eaten in it's non processed form, is incredibly cheap and nutritious source of protein (in east Asia). If people want to find something to cut back on to prevent 'man boob's, I'd recommend cutting back on red meat and avoiding processed foods.
You also should know that there is plenty of research, that shows that soy products cause gynecomastia, and like you said, because of the estrogen levels, soy have high levels of estrogen(or a precursor of estrogen).

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
IMO, the long term, historical soy consumption of many asian cultures is a type of research that has gone above and beyond mere scientific research.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
If people want to find something to cut back on to prevent 'man boob's, I'd recommend cutting back on red meat
Well red meat hasn't given me male boobs and i surely wouldn't tell that to the native american tribes that thrived eating buffalo out here in the west especially the powerfully built Plains Indians and other Hunter Gatherer societies.

If you like soy then i say go for it ...... but many of of us enjoy and thrive on meat as our ancient genome allowed for 1.8 miilion years compared to 10,000 years of grains and legumes. Just eat the grass fed meats and not all the grain fed crap out there.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
Quote:

Yea exactly and soy mimmicks estrogen in the body and seems to cause gyno in sensitive individuals. Anti-nutrients, enezyme inhibitors, estrogenic side effects, and now soy is mostly GMO.

The Chinese did not consider soy a food but rather fertilizer till they learned how to ferment it. Fermented soy is healthy. The soy bought is US stores is not.

Oh great, more anti-red meat BS. Red meat IF fed/rasised properly and humanely is perfectly healthy and has an excellent Omega 3-6 ratio.

If you want to risk getting b*tch **** just do a cycle of steroids because at least you will put on some muscle....lmao.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM

466 posts, read 928,229 times
Quote:

hahahhahahahhahahahahahahahah (breath) hahhahhahahahahahahahh

Ohhhh boy. More lectures needed for you. And stay awake when they talk about "Phyto-estrogens". They are not real and don't work the way human estrogens do.

Soy is NOT a complete protien meaning it doesn't contain at least 10 amino acids. This is NOT a nutritious form of protien. Eat some beef dude.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM

143 posts, read 377,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
You also should know that there is plenty of research, that shows that soy products cause gynecomastia, and like you said, because of the estrogen levels, soy have high levels of estrogen(or a precursor of estrogen).
Eating soy beans and tofu, which is what most east asians eat in large quantities, does not cause gynecomastia as far as I know. I am not familiar enough with the soy products of western foods to comment. I was pointing out that most people who have 'man boobs' have it due to obesity, which is a far bigger problem in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well red meat hasn't given me male boobs and i surely wouldn't tell that to the native american tribes that thrived eating buffalo out here in the west especially the powerfully built Plains Indians and other Hunter Gatherer societies.

If you like soy then i say go for it ...... but many of of us enjoy and thrive on meat as our ancient genome allowed for 1.8 miilion years compared to 10,000 years of grains and legumes. Just eat the grass fed meats and not all the grain fed crap out there.
I was saying that having unhealthy eating habits causes one to gain excessive weight which can lead to breast in men. Red meat itself doesn't cause excessive breast formation (as far as I know). However, it is generally advised that chicken and fish is healthier than red meat, but red meat is consumed in far higher quantities in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Yea exactly and soy mimmicks estrogen in the body and seems to cause gyno in sensitive individuals. Anti-nutrients, enezyme inhibitors, estrogenic side effects, and now soy is mostly GMO.

The Chinese did not consider soy a food but rather fertilizer till they learned how to ferment it. Fermented soy is healthy. The soy bought is US stores is not.

Oh great, more anti-red meat BS. Red meat IF fed/rasised properly and humanely is perfectly healthy and has an excellent Omega 3-6 ratio.

If you want to risk getting b*tch **** just do a cycle of steroids because at least you will put on some muscle....lmao.
I was referring to fermented soy products which is popularily eaten in the East. However, my parents and I have lived in this country for over twenty years and have bought tofu and other fermented soy products in American stores, and have not experienced excessive estrogen problems. Of course, the products are Chinese foods, even if they aren't made in China. Presumably, it is the same processing.

I can't comment on American soy products (like veggie burgers) because American foods can be processed in ways that changes the nutritional contents of the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
hahahhahahahhahahahahahahahah (breath) hahhahhahahahahahahahh

Ohhhh boy. More lectures needed for you. And stay awake when they talk about "Phyto-estrogens". They are not real and don't work the way human estrogens do.

Soy is NOT a complete protien meaning it doesn't contain at least 10 amino acids. This is NOT a nutritious form of protien. Eat some beef dude.
First off, how is soy NOT a "complete" protein? If you mean that it does not contain all the essential amino acids, that does not mean it is not protein. How is it not nutritious? I am honestly curious. Beans and rice gives us all of our essential amino acids---is that what you mean by "complete"? And soy is one type of bean, a good source of protein, even though it does not provide us with everything we need (most foods do not).

Second of all, phystoestrogens are similar to estradiol at the molecular level and can cause estrogenic (or antiestorgenic) effects.

The human body may not be able to differentiate between molecules similar in shape if the molecules can activate the same receptor/transcription factors/etc. Hence, just because the estrogen-like compounds are not exactly the same as those found in the human body, does not mean that they will not have the same affect. (In fact, molecular mimry is the basis for many autoimmune diseases). However, I don't believe that most plant based products, when eaten in it's natural form, will be able to cause any hormonal imbalance.

EDIT: I'm not sure what your background is, but here's a fact sheet written in laymen's term on phystoestrogen from Cornell University. It may provide a better explanation of the affects of phystoestrogens. I do pay attention to my lectures. But as you stated, phystoestrogens are not made in the human body, hence my endocrine lecture will not cover it in any detail.

Last edited by phylogeny; 06-09-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Eating soy beans and tofu, which is what most east asians eat in large quantities, does not cause gynecomastia as far as I know. I am not familiar enough with the soy products of western foods to comment. I was pointing out that most people who have 'man boobs' have it due to obesity, which is a far bigger problem in this country.
As far as you know, unfortunately is true eating soy product leads to gynecomastia.
Just do a simple search and you will find not one but plenty of research that state the same.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Mod cut: rude, personal attack

The point is that soy sucks and it's in everything. They tell you to eat a bagel before a workout but it is filled with soy. Most protein drinks are filled with soy. Most breads are too.

The worst part is that the so called "health freaks" for the most part think it's the most healthy food on earth.
I think the body builders must be for the most part CLUELESS about health if they tell you to eat a BAGEL before a work out. BAGELS are VOID of just about any nutrition.

All anyone needs to do male or female if they see signs of abnormal growths for their gender is to simply figure out what in their die is growing off their homones and causing it to happen. Then STOP eating that food and take a natural hormone balancer until the problem goes away in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness