Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
LOL... That's what my friends from FL say about Raleigh! Hence the whole "talent" debate when comparing the Triangle to other regions..
What does "talent" have to do with physical activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenpartygirl View Post
It's not a stereotype. Click on the link below to see a heat map of obesity rankings in the US.

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/0...t-states-2008/
NC = 27%, Calif = 23%. Not what I'd call a massive gap. Thanks for backing me, if unintentionally. That doesn't exactly back the stereotypes of people in the South walking around shoving sticky buns and greasy burgers down their throat all day while the Calif's are dining on carrot sticks and tofu shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Cardiologists and, well, the data disagree: Stroke Statistics | Internet Stroke Center
This says nothing about obesity in one area of the country vs another. In fact it doesn't say anything about obesity at all.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I am sorry, but you and ApexIntruder don't get it. You are probably walking time bombs for a stroke/heart attack/etc. Just b/c you are thin does NOT mean you are in good shape. Only on the outside may it appear that way, but oh boy, how you are deteriorating your blood vessels/organs/blood over time. Eating well is essential to living long, not just to maintain weight, but to keep your "pipes" staying unclogged and being healthy on the inside. You are the type of people that drop dead of a heart attack and everyone wonders "but they weren't overweight". Well you now know the reason why. Plus, not just diet-related, you must get weight-bearing physical exercise (atleast 30/40 min a day) for 4-5 days a week. Its essential. And yes, I am a doctor, so I am not just shooting off at the hip.
Well, maybe I am a walking time bomb. Okay, well maybe not me since I am physically fit but maybe ApexIntruder is but I doubt it. You tell me if I should be worried about having a triple bypass anytime soon since you're the doc. My LDL is 62, HDL is 46, and total is 108. Those numbers are coming from my physical results I just had 2 months ago and I get one annually.

IT'S CALLED "EXERCISE", PEOPLE. DO IT!!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
This says nothing about obesity in one area of the country vs another. In fact it doesn't say anything about obesity at all.
I'm sorry, I lost track of the discussion, whether it was about obesity, eating habits or overall health, all of which are related to stroke stats. Whatever it is, this part of the country does not fare well. I'm just presenting facts, not using terms like "sheeple" and then in the same breath criticizing "stereotypes."

Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Well, maybe I am a walking time bomb. Okay, well maybe not me since I am physically fit but maybe ApexIntruder is but I doubt it. You tell me if I should be worried about having a triple bypass anytime soon since you're the doc. My LDL is 62, HDL is 46, and total is 108. Those numbers are coming from my physical results I just had 2 months ago and I get one annually.

IT'S CALLED "EXERCISE", PEOPLE. DO IT!!

"It's also important to remember that high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol counts, too. A low HDL level increases the risk of heart disease. For women, a low HDL level coupled with excess weight after menopause may increase the risk of breast cancer as well. To help prevent heart disease, aim for an HDL level of 60 mg/dL (1.5 mmol/L) or higher."

Cholesterol level: Can it be too low? - MayoClinic.com

Wondering how to do that? Among the suggestions:

"Choose healthier fats. A healthy diet includes some fat, but there's a limit. In a heart-healthy diet, between 25 and 35 percent of your total daily calories can come from fat — but saturated fat should account for less than 7 percent of your total daily calories. Avoid foods that contain saturated and trans fats, which raise LDL cholesterol and worsen inflammatory effects. Trans fat is found in many margarines and commercial baked products, and anything that contains partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. On the other hand, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats — found in olive, peanut and canola oils — tend to improve HDL's anti-inflammatory abilities. Nuts, fish and other foods containing omega-3 fatty acids are other good choices for improving your LDL cholesterol to HDL cholesterol ratio."

HDL cholesterol: How to boost your 'good' cholesterol - MayoClinic.com

Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I am sorry, but you and ApexIntruder don't get it. You are probably walking time bombs for a stroke/heart attack/etc. Just b/c you are thin does NOT mean you are in good shape. Only on the outside may it appear that way, but oh boy, how you are deteriorating your blood vessels/organs/blood over time. Eating well is essential to living long, not just to maintain weight, but to keep your "pipes" staying unclogged and being healthy on the inside. You are the type of people that drop dead of a heart attack and everyone wonders "but they weren't overweight". Well you now know the reason why. Plus, not just diet-related, you must get weight-bearing physical exercise (atleast 30/40 min a day) for 4-5 days a week. Its essential. And yes, I am a doctor, so I am not just shooting off at the hip.
Exactly! Another thing that most forget is that metabolism tends to slow down as you age and just because you can be carefree about your diet now doesn't mean you'll always be able to be that way without packing on the pounds. Menopause and andropause are REAL. Thyroid conditions tend to affect women more as they age which means weight is gained regardless of strictness of diet and exercise. Men's testosterone levels decrease with age which means a decrease in lean muscle mass.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Fat and slim... but I don't agree with them... I don't think losing weight would help the majority here either... IMO

Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think they mean "talent" as in the women, not the ability to sing or dance or throw knives etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I think they mean "talent" as in the women, not the ability to sing or dance or throw knives etc.
Thanks for the answer--that's a slang term I hadn't heard yet.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I think it's hard to find healthy (especially organic) food in the Triangle compared to other places I've lived (Vermont and N.J.)

Whenever I come down to visit my mil, I always make a trip to the grocery store to buy some healthy foods and snacks. (My mil tends to eat a lot of starchy, fried, southern-style food that I don't enjoy).

Anyway, I've noticed that produce is very expensive at the supermarkets. I would have thought it would be cheaper considering the long growing season. I bought ingredients to make my favorite salad and I spent about twice as much as I would in N.J. and a third more than I would in Vermont.

Also, it's difficult to find organic or all-natural foods. When you do find them the selection is limited and the prices are high. (I haven't checked out the local Whole Foods, which might have more to offer).

And, the restaurants don't seem to cater to vegetarians. The choices, if any, are very limited.

On the bright side, during my last visit we went to a farmer's market outside of Raleigh and bought amazing strawberries and salad greens for really good prices. And of course, with the long summers there's nothing stopping you from having your own organic garden for most of the year.

Also, most of the people I've met down there look pretty fit so I guess they've found a way to work off the extra calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness