Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What contraceptive methods are you confortable with?
I am a man and not a big fan of condoms 8 30.77%
I am a woman and not a big fan of barrier method e.g condoms, diaphragms and cervical caps. 5 19.23%
I am a man condoms is best way possible unless otherwise 4 15.38%
I am a woman barrier methods are the safest way possible 5 19.23%
I am a man hormonal contraceptive aren't safe for her unless otherwise 1 3.85%
I am a woman hormonal contraceptive methods are not safe, unless otherwise 3 11.54%
I am a man hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
I am a woman hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think its changed since then. Many doctors nowadays are very evasive about putting IUDs in young women who have not had children.
A few years a co-worker went to the IUD. She had never had children. Last year she decided she wanted to, had the IUD removed and is due in a couple months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM

294 posts, read 1,107,314 times
As far as I know, most doctors will not just give anyone an IUD. They will steer you towards other methods first, because as I said, it is more painful and difficult for those who have not had children. If you do get one, you have to sign a release form. I have never been on any form of birth control, so I don't know if the release form is just standard IUD procedure across the board.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
As far as I know, most doctors will not just give anyone an IUD. They will steer you towards other methods first, because as I said, it is more painful and difficult for those who have not had children. If you do get one, you have to sign a release form. I have never been on any form of birth control, so I don't know if the release form is just standard IUD procedure across the board.
A release form for what?
Some doctors will steer bc in one way or another to support their own agenda, but good Doctors will discuss the best bc with their patient depending on the patients life style and medical conditions. I dont know anyone that asked for an IUD and was refused because it would hurt. Think thats painfull and difficult, try passing a head the size of a soccer ball out your hoo hoo.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Marriage.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
hmm...Mirena is the one I was talking about that will not give it to you if you do not already have a child, period. Is Mirena a form of IUD? haha.. I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I seem to know more than some people. The amount of people who just have unprotected sex all the time and just hope they don't get preggo is shocking and scary to me. I would be freaking out ALL the time.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
A release form for what?
Some doctors will steer bc in one way or another to support their own agenda, but good Doctors will discuss the best bc with their patient depending on the patients life style and medical conditions. I dont know anyone that asked for an IUD and was refused because it would hurt. Think thats painfull and difficult, try passing a head the size of a soccer ball out your hoo hoo.

LOL. Well my births were easy, so I'm one not afraid of that. No, I didn't mean they were refused because of the pain. But...wouldn't one want to consider trying another form first before putting themselves through any sort of pain? I think I read somewhere that Doctors actually get more compensation for IUD's....can anyone confirm this? I'll try to see if I can find it. The release form basically says you understand what the procedure is, possible complications, etc. My guess is any procedure in which a Dr.has to go inside any part of you, there would be some type of medical release form.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
hmm...Mirena is the one I was talking about that will not give it to you if you do not already have a child, period. Is Mirena a form of IUD? haha.. I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I seem to know more than some people. The amount of people who just have unprotected sex all the time and just hope they don't get preggo is shocking and scary to me. I would be freaking out ALL the time.

Yes, Mirena is an IUD. Are there really that many people out there just having reckless sex? That's just a dumb move, period.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:09 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Old age!
Yep...menopause worked for me!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
We use none. But pregnancy isn't an issue to worry about for us.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,251 times

It is true that no contraceptive method is 100% effective. It is important that both partners take responsibility for family planning. The cervical cap when used with a female condom is 100% effective when a female is NOT Ovulating. It is always best to obstain from sex during this time or to talk about safer ways during this time to prevent unplanned pregnancy.

Some partners just don't have sex during this time or only please their male partners during this time. The chances of both cervical cap and female condom breaking are very unlikely, but using a spermicide jell is also a good idea when a cervical cap is the only method of contraception being used for pregnancy prevention.

The ryhythm method works well. Most friends that I know use the rhythm method and obstain from close encounters during ovulation, and that is probably the best time to be extra careful, as you have mentioned that no contraceptive is 100% safe.

Good post!!!

Thanks for reminding females that no contraceptive method is 100% effective. A friend had only 1% chance of getting pregnant, and they did become pregnant after their boyfriend forced them during ovulation to have sex, and the odds of that happening are 1 out of 100 chances, so it reminds us that mother nature always has the upper hand when it comes to the creation of life.

A good idea for some couples is to use toys during ovulation times. I guess old fashioned methods are out these days, but in the old days women just opted out at that time of the month, as most men don't like condoms, and some women don't like cervical caps, female condoms, or hormone therapy, due with the dangers associated with different contraceptive methosds.

Unfortunately for females, unplanned pregnancies will happen from time to time if extra caution is not implemented by both committed partners during ovulation cycles.

The best prevention is to communicate effectively with your beloved one to ensure that the health and safety of your relationship remains priority at all times.

Thanks for sharing your great ideas. Excellent Post!!!

Have a great day!

Chandra VallesdesMars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness