Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What contraceptive methods are you confortable with?
I am a man and not a big fan of condoms 8 30.77%
I am a woman and not a big fan of barrier method e.g condoms, diaphragms and cervical caps. 5 19.23%
I am a man condoms is best way possible unless otherwise 4 15.38%
I am a woman barrier methods are the safest way possible 5 19.23%
I am a man hormonal contraceptive aren't safe for her unless otherwise 1 3.85%
I am a woman hormonal contraceptive methods are not safe, unless otherwise 3 11.54%
I am a man hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
I am a woman hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Whatever happened to the good old fashioned "pull-out" or "withdrawal" techniques? Damn progressives...
It's called Kid-Roulette. If our grandparents had anything better then this half of us would not be here today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Pill (actually got pregant with this method because I got the flu)
Depro-Provera shot (liked the convenience but has side effects)
Surgically Fixed!! - LOVE IT!!

OMG, the Depo shot was the worst for me!!!! (And many other women that I know.) I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy. It's also a likely reason why my husband ended up divorcing his first wife. She went off the deep end, but neither one of them ever considered it could be the hormones. I was fortunate in that I caught myself from falling over the edge and my husband was willing to stick with me for 3 months until the hormones/shot was out of my system.

I'd prefer not to subject my body to hormones again unless it's a medical necessity.

We've been living by the "what will be will be" motto, but next year might by another story. We've been discussing my husband having a vasectomy.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Get out and go sleep on the couch usually works.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,510 times
Quote:
No, the pill was GOOD. They aren't quite sure why yet, but it's a huge study and there was a very discernable disparity of disease between those who have taken the pill and those who didn't.
I think they do know why, or at least there are theories. Women's bodies are not designed to cycle as often as they do in our modern times. Through the vast majority of our evolutionary history, women started cycling later (menarche came at a later age when we were not so overnourished), shortly thereafter were usually pregnant, and then continued to either breastfeed or be pregnant for most of the rest of their childbearing years. When you instead have a lifestyle of long periods of cycling with no or few pregnancies or breastfeeding to interupt it, your hormone levels spike and fall quite a bit. You're exposed to overall higher levels of certain hormones. And so, cancers that are affected by those hormones increase.

It also might explain one reason why girls who start menarche much earlier than their peers have higher rates of cancer later on too. Why women who have had no children have higher rates of cancer. Why women who don't breastfeeding have higher rates of cancer. More years of cycling!

So, I personally would not subject my body to long strings of time of so-called "natural cycling", and it doesn't suit the time/culture to be having babies constantly either. I'm a big fan of BCP, and in fact take it continuously (no placebo week) for reasons other than contraception, but it works well for that too. I'm not a screaming banshee and I don't have diminished sex drive on it. I'm sure others can have different side effects, but it's a mistake to think those are inevitable. I think I would find it a lot easier to take a pill daily as part of my routine than to have to remember to replace something or go to the doctor once every 3 weeks or 5 years or whatever as well.

Anyway, clearly it's something that is up to your girlfriend, but that's my experience.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 AM

275 posts, read 687,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Find a hobby or interest and forget about the women!!!LMAO...........

my women is my daily motivation i have lots of hobbies and interest, so has she but then there is always a time for romance. Interesting replies though i have to be honest to her by sitting down together for a talk about the risks of each methods and what actions we as a couple would mutually agree on, and we are also prepared for unplanned pregnancy, good thing we both love kids but we are not thinking about having them now or before marriage

Last edited by jackdonekings; 03-16-2010 at 04:24 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 AM

252 posts, read 660,952 times
As someone who had experience extreme aggressiveness while on the pill (I got into fistfights with EVERYONE, including two with my mum in 3 months. never like that before or after the pill) and has two cousins and a handful of friends that got knocked up while using the shot, I'm gonna mention something no one else has that works like a charm for me. The Nuvaring.

Yeah, this sounds like advertising, but OMG ITS AWESOME. Its a plastic hormone-releasing ring inserted into the vagina and it chills by the cervix. That's it. I don't get crazy or hormonal and I've only had one guy (out of three) say he felt it at all and it didn't bother him any. And it only has to be replaced every three weeks. It doesn't interact with antibiotics (except rifampin) and it costs me the same as the pill did.

As for condoms, I'm still pro-using them. Only the male ones though... anyone here actually try using the female one? its hard to insert and its like having sex with a giant rubber sock. It wasn't the "less sensitivity" issue... no. I'm serious. giant rubber sock. My bf at the time and I agreed that we'd rather have no sex it was so awful. and spermicide (as long as no one is allergic) always helps too. I haven't had a single baby scare yet.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
my women is my daily motivation i have lots of hobbies and interest, so has she but then there is always a time for romance. Interesting replies though i have to be honest to her by sitting down together for a talk about the risks of each methods and what actions we as a couple would mutually agree on, and we are also prepared for unplanned pregnancy, good thing we both love kids but we are not thinking about having them now or before marriage
Here is another idea...instead of asking a bunch of anonymous internet posters about which birth control to use....maybe ask a dr? For the majority of birth control, you will need a doctor's Rx.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
As for condoms, I'm still pro-using them. Only the male ones though... anyone here actually try using the female one? its hard to insert and its like having sex with a giant rubber sock. It wasn't the "less sensitivity" issue... no. I'm serious. giant rubber sock. My bf at the time and I agreed that we'd rather have no sex it was so awful.
I've heard that before, as well.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Default What contraceptive methods do you use with your spouse or long term partner?

Old age!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM

271 posts, read 785,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Oh man, that's a tough one, because I also don't want to subject myself to birth control pills, but I absolutely hate condoms, just as much as any man does. It makes such a difference in feeling.
I don't have the answer, my husband and I have been together for a while, therefore we don't use any protection besides pulling out, but I don't know if I would recommend that in your situation.
What about the copper IUD? It is non-hormonal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness