Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Well, ok now that you know there is a problem, and I think you always did, what are YOU going to do to eliminate your alcohol consumption?

You say you are in your 20's so , in truth, it's now or never. True story.........

Any further discussion is irrelevant until you answer THAT question.
I will report my progress in this thread every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Fair enough. Hopefully the members here will continue to give you support that you need. I know I will........

Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
^^^^^^Popping Popcorn

Subscribed to thread

Quote:

Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

To be truthful, I actually don't have any friends that I hang out with on a consistent basis. I haven't had any for several years now. So yes, I almost always drink alone. While it is a good way for me to truly relax at night, I guess I'm going to have to detox myself from this stuff and figure out a new way to relax, because it sounds like it's just not going to work out. I'm the most sensitive person in the world (and have moderate social anxiety) so whenever someone says something even slightly insulting to me during the day, I go crazy in my head for the rest of the day and I end up drinking that night. Otherwise I won't be able to relax and sleep.

Anyway, I think I need to quit. I like what someone else said: stop drinking for a month and see how that works out.

If you need to drink as a mood stabilizer there is a problem. Who diagnosed you with social anxiety? Have you seen an MD or is this something you heard on TV because the term is used a lot on TV in drug ads trying to promote various drugs.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
I drink because I just don't have a life. I don't have friends. I live far away from my family. I'm either at my apartment or at work. Other then the usual errands, I don't go out. I'm afraid of people. I don't know how to be social. I don't get people around my age. I always end up getting along with people who are older. I feel like I'm a baby in some ways inside and in other ways an old soul inside.

I see what you're saying though. I can see it getting even worse as I grow older. I just think that for a sensitive human being like me, it's just not going to work out.

You drink because you don't have a life? No, drinking takes away your life....for years and years my husband worked and did little else, but, come home and pass out drunk on the bed every single night and **** himself. We couldn't speak at night because he was passed out. On the drive home from work I knew if I broke down I couldn't call him since he was drunk. There would be no after work plans since he would be drunk. There was also the possibilty he could become agitated and cause a rage and a fight as drunks tend to do. You just never know. The day after my father died instead of comforting me my husband got drunk called me a ******* ***** and claimed I ruined his life. He also was going to knock my block off, but, that was nothing new. NOW THAT IS WHAT I WOULD CALL NO LIFE. Thankfully my husband and his friend are now sober one year and hopefully they will stay that way, but, who knows when and if the hurt will ever go away.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
If you need to drink as a mood stabilizer there is a problem. Who diagnosed you with social anxiety? Have you seen an MD or is this something you heard on TV because the term is used a lot on TV in drug ads trying to promote various drugs.
I diagnosed myself. I read on SA forums and I'm just so sure of it.

And night #1 is finished. I'm drinking decaf coffee.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:32 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Since you don't seem to mind excercise why not do a run or take a brisk walk in the evening when you're tense and anxious to clear your mind and calm down.
Look up counted breathing also. It's damn near impossible to think of anything else when you're doing breathing excercises........think of the effectiveness of 'counting to ten' ....same idea but extended.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Day #2 done. Decaf coffee again. This is the real start of the test for me as I would probably be drinking otherwise.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Day #2 done. Decaf coffee again. This is the real start of the test for me as I would probably be drinking otherwise.
If you think and/or feel that this is an issue, you are very wise to "nip it in the bud".
I had a friend, years ago, who drank way too much .... just beer but lots of it.
Everyone said that she wouldn't stop drinking until she "hit bottom".
She didn't want that and made the decision to quit.
At the time she was 30 yrs. old.
She just stopped.
It's 20 years later and she hasn't had a drink since ... not a drop.
The mind set to take is that it just isn't an option.
With that approach you're not struggling with it, thinking about it, fighting it, etc..
It just isn't an option.
Alcoholism runs in my friends family and she saw the trajectory of her life and didn't want to go down that road.
If you see that your potential future involves drinking too much or alcoholism, you are very fortunate to have that awareness and change the course of your life at a relatively young age.
You will be saving yourself (and others) from a lot of pain and anguish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness