Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 AM

165 posts, read 304,744 times

Advertisements

Honestly I just don't think a lot of these guys payed that close attention in History class IMO. Because I went to school in the 90s and 00s and knew all about the Nazi's not being communists, that's hilarious to think of actually IMO. After the USSR was invaded by Nazi Germany, they effectively became enemies. Again, they actually defeated the Nazi's more so than any other nation of the Allied Powers. How kids don't know this is on them IMO, because I learned this when I was in school. I also LOVE history and learning though, so that could be a reason why I took this away and others didn't.

Guess I'm one of the rare ones in this instant gratification generation. I've been disciplining myself (my parents sure as hell wouldn't do it) since I can remember. Maybe I'm just wired different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am appalled to read this. I went to school in a small town in the 50's: It was made very clear that the Communists were the Nazi's opponents and that the Nazi party moved very early to eradicate them.
My son, who is going on 20, got interested in history from me. He had a few classes in high school where he was engaged and would call up and ask me question. But his World History class... ugh. He's smart enough to figure out that she had an agenda, but it was so befuddled he never quite figured out what. And he asked question not on the class guidelines so she didn't like him. A whole class of kids who thing history is not only boring but confusing...

Sad since part of her idea of using first hand stuff was good. But she picked very carefully, which was bad.

I doubt she ever got to WW2 much at all if it didn't fit in the agenda, what ever it was.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I would never depend on High School history to teach anything to anybody. It is easy to pass HS history without really learning anything of substance, and most HS graduates are woefully ignorant in that field.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
I am a girl. When I was growing up, (60's) we could aspire to be teachers, nurses, wives and mothers. I had no use for history, just didn't see the point in learning it. My favorite subjects were art and english.
All I remember of history is a bunch of memorization to pass a test - it was all meaningless to me at the time. Now, I am seeing the significance of history, and how fascinating and relevant it can be.
Keep in mind, my role models were Ozzie & Harriet and Donna Reed. You probably don't even know who they are.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Here is comes full circle. We are all pawns in a much larger game.

‪Wall Street, Freemasonry and the Bolshevik Revolution‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Keep in mind, my role models were Ozzie & Harriet and Donna Reed. You probably don't even know who they are.
No inspiration from June Cleaver?

I was watching back then, but relating more to Eddie Haskel and Maynard G. Krebs.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
No inspiration from June Cleaver?

I was watching back then, but relating more to Eddie Haskel and Maynard G. Krebs.
I knew my mom had almost been an animator for Disney but wasn't since Dad didn't want her working. June Cleaver didn't much impress me. When I was a kid, the adults in shows were just more or less there. Love the Beaver. And Manard, now there was someone you had to like.

I got my love of history not from class but from the library. I read two levels above my grade, so I spend a lot of time with books from the school library. I read every non-fiction book the elementary school library had. Went on to reading all the history in Jr. High and lucked out in HS.

I still intend to get the last two years of the history ba, but had to find a job. But the wonderful thing about the net is you find a lot more people who love it and can talk about it on the phone for three hours with you than in the general populace. I still buy books and read them too.

Overall I have more self taught knowlege than from 'school'.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Overall I have more self taught knowlege than from 'school'.
A person who has learned a great deal after completing formal education is called an autodidact. A person who hasn't is called a fool.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I believe that you didn't look at enough countries in southeastern Europe. The top 4 for Muslim population are:

Kosovo
  • Muslims - 90%
  • Orthodox Christians - 6%
  • Roman Catholics - 3%
  • Other - 1%
Albania:
  • Muslims - 70%
  • Orthodox Christian - 20%
  • Roman Catholic - 10%
Bosnia and Herzegovina:
  • Muslim Bosniaks - 44%
  • Orthodox Christian Serbs - 31%
  • Roman Catholic Croats - 17%
Macedonia:
  • Orthodox Christians - 63%
  • Muslims - 33%
  • Other - 3%
There was a particularily nasty civil war fought in Bosnia and Herzegovina from 1992 to 1995, mostly along the ethnic/religious lines noted above.
I still remember time when all these nations were part of one small country, called "Yugoslavia" and "Yugo" means "Southern," so technically speaking all those nations are not even part of "Eastern Europe," ( unless you use it in political terms) but "Southern Europe" that includes such countries as Portugal, Spain, Andorra, Monaco, Italy, Vatican, San Marino, Greece, Malta, Cyprus, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, Macedonia and Turkey.
List of countries in Southern Europe
And since those nations you are talking about are close to Turkey, then yes, at a certain point in time they ( being originally Christian countries, part of Byzantine culture,) became part of the Ottoman Empire. Russia, considering itself a successor of Byzantine Empire, and having in mind the protection of Southern Slavs ( Serbs and Bulgars in particular), with whom she shared the Orthodox Religion, fought a series of wars with Turks, until she succeeded to set Serbs and Bulgars free from Turks and Islam.
History of the Russo-Turkish wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since a lot of Serbs were brutally slaughtered by Turks and Serbs have never forgotten it, they didn't want anything to do with Islam, which was practiced by some other small surrounding nations, Albanians in particular, who had tendency to slaughter Serbs as well through the history. A lot of them moved to historic Serbian land Pristina and then claimed it as their own land, ( to make the long story short,) which was unanimously supported by the US in the 90ies, so that's how "Kosovo" ( the new, independent state) sprang to life. Russia ( ultimately situated in Eastern Europe) didn't come to the rescue as she did before in history, which Serbs considered a betrayal. Mr. Putin ( or whoever was in the office at that time) was too busy pocketing the state money, but it's not like Russians didn't take the note of the events.
The next time the US was planning its move in Caucasian Mountains, supporting its own geopolitical interests in the quest for oil, Russia quickly supported the secession of Southern Ossetia and Abkhasia ( with its seaport) from Georgia, that was US handpicked ally in Caucasus. As earlier events in history ( such as the beginning of the WWI) had its precedent because of the historical connection between Serbia and Russia, based on shared religious and cultural ground, as you can see the events that followed later in Caucasian Mountains had the same root. So when someone casually speaks of "Islam being common in Eastern Europe" putting it in the same sentence with Middle Eastern countries, it creates a distorted view of the world.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When you have a society which exercises the degree of total control over its citizens as did both the Soviet Uniion and Nazi Germany, left and right becomes just a word if your subject to it. Control is control no matter the choice of means of achieving it. Both are totaliarian over any other catagory.
When I was talking about "someone being greedy" and "far right," I was talking about different thing - the US bankers that were behind the reason that Germans were starving, and then - the same bankers again ( American and British) that heavily invested in German military complex.
How the Allied multinationals supplied Nazi Germany throughout World War II | libcom.org

When people are going hungry, they have tendency to turn to the most radical ideas, as it was a case in pre-revolutionary Russia and post-war (WWI) Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History