Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 04:47 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The premise of your argument is flawed, if you can call this woman ugly, then you need to go see a doctor.
I clearly said in the my posts

Quote:
I've researched and seen how the early 60s had a very clean cut look like the 50s but progressed into crap on towards the 70s.
Audrey Hepburn during the Breakfast at Tiffany's era is precisely the definition of timeless and classic. I most certainly wasn't referring to her when I made this posts!! She has nothing to do with the psychedelic crap that evolved during the mid-60s and 70s. Just compare her with the 70s for goodness sake and see the wide differance. How did we go from that to that?!

Last edited by allenk893; 04-03-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
These are also some very ugly clothes from the era.

If this isn't ugly, then I don't know what it is.

I'll take the cleaned up, classic look of the 40s and 50s anyday.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

Exactly! I don't understand how that style caught on compared to the previous decades. The colors didn't even match and the patterns were off base and wacky and the hair was a mess. Why would anyone (whose not a hippy) want to look like that?

Quote:
Amen.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Probably the developments in Plastics Technology, the space age and the classic age (IMO) of industrial design. It was a perfect storm of creativity not only in many different fields, but the ability to combine fields. New synthetic fibers and materials. Everything had to look like it could fly and was so named. The Satellite was a car, the Starcaster was a guitar, the Jetsons was a TV show.

I think most of all advertisers began to realized that young people had this immense buying power and a lack of taste. The baby boom created a big population of people who were new to the marketplace. The difference between a cool 1950's bike and a cool 1960's bike shows there was not a gradual evolution but a "big Bang" in design during that period. Kids no longer wanted to look like their parents.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Yeap they were.

Then again so was the 90's grunge look.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:

Bolded pictures
Nothing at all ugly about the first, just casual. The stripes are interesting but the styles are very classic

the classic stuff...

That dress with the huge skirt and scrunched in waist (that required a shaper) I'd pass on. Reminds me of the stuff for renfair, which is fun but I wouldn't wear it every day. Give me jeans and boots and cotton shirts anyday. (and I'm female). The second photos, dullsville. Blah. What we wanted to escape.

Unless your female, don't be telling women they should dress in stuff that required a multitude of layers underneath to make them fit right and your willing to wear them daily on a hot day yourself.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
The 60s and 70s were all about finding yourself and not going along with the ideas that belonged to a bye gone era. It was a time of peace love and understanding including our relationship with the planet. Something as simple as Woodstock will never happen again especially with your generation. You would rather play shoot em up bang bang they learn how to come together under adverse conditions and remain civilized. As far as clothing goes how attractive do you think those baggy pants that fall down are ?? As if anyone wants to see your boxers and of all things emulating prisoners. Wow they are people I would admire and want to dress like. All that "body art" which today is a ladybug but years from now will look like a dragonfly due to gravity. How about all that piercing stuff that sets off the metal detectors and when you realize you cant get a job looking that way you remove it leaving big holes all over your face. How about all the car accidents you cause with all that texting looking at your cell instead of the road. Geez you sure are one wonderful generation - please spare me.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
It was a time of peace love and understanding
Which is obviously deader then a doornail if someone is going to complain about flower power patterns and bell bottoms.

Pity they are so close minded that they can't appreciate something for what it was. And what's really weird is that the 20-somethings are uptight about the same things the 50-somethings were in 1968. (I swear some of these guys sound just like my Grandmother. Who voted for Nixon. **shiver down my spine** )

What's up with that?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I think my mother's favorite phrase in 1972 was: "You're not going out looking like that, are you?" Her mother probably said the same thing to her. And so on throughout the millenia. The beat goes on. La de da de de, la de da de da.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
The 60s and 70s were all about finding yourself and not going along with the ideas that belonged to a bye gone era. It was a time of peace love and understanding including our relationship with the planet. Something as simple as Woodstock will never happen again especially with your generation. You would rather play shoot em up bang bang they learn how to come together under adverse conditions and remain civilized. As far as clothing goes how attractive do you think those baggy pants that fall down are ?? As if anyone wants to see your boxers and of all things emulating prisoners. Wow they are people I would admire and want to dress like. All that "body art" which today is a ladybug but years from now will look like a dragonfly due to gravity. How about all that piercing stuff that sets off the metal detectors and when you realize you cant get a job looking that way you remove it leaving big holes all over your face. How about all the car accidents you cause with all that texting looking at your cell instead of the road. Geez you sure are one wonderful generation - please spare me.
That's a pretty gross generalization and is a classic example of one generation looking down their nose at a younger generation. The same could be said of those who were coming of age during the 60s and 70s. I'm sure not all of them were drugged, peace-loving hippies, just as not all individuals from my generation are emulating the thug lifestyle. It doesn't matter what time period one is living in. There are always going to be subcultures. And at the end of the day, we're all human and we all have flaws. Whether one was born in 1947 or 1987 doesn't change that.

BTW, teens aren't the only ones who text and drive: Adults Text While Driving Too! - Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History