Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

Attorney General Robert Kennedy concluded his brother was ambushed by enemies in his own government. So did the widowed First Lady, Jackie Kennedy.
https://www.justsecurity.org/63826/j...assassination/

I was never a particular fan but I have always wanted to know the truth of what happened. We will probably never know as it has been so well covered up and continues to be covered up. But probably it was associated with political enemies within the CIA, the FBI, the Mafia (remember, it was the Mafia who actually helped get him elected and they were old buddies of his low life dad, old Joe Kennedy.

It was his own enemies within our own government. He wasn't war-like enough, he liked blacks too much, he didn't support the military industrial complex enough, and so on. The above article says that Fidel Castro of Cuba believed this and so did his polar opposite, De Gaulle of France. Both were well aware of how governments operate at high levels.

It was not the work of one person. And it wasn't LBJ and it wasn't any other one single person. JFK was different and some people in high places didn't like that. The CIA in this country apparently has great power. J. Edgar Hoover of the FBI despised JFK and probably helped. I think G Bush Sr may have known--he was CIA and he testified before the (fake) Warren Commission on the assassination. There's so much more and too many people have been mysteriously killed or have "committed suicide."

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-06-2019 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
I'm always amazed at the human tendency to rely on conspiracy theories, even when evidence is proved to the contrary, even when competing conspiracy theories conflict with each other.
The below link pretty much explains the reasons:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...iracy-theories

The desire for understanding and certainty
The desire for control and security
The desire to maintain a positive self-image

I think in terms of JFK, it's hard to accept that an event of such importance was done by a loser like Oswald. There needs to be a greater purpose, and it seems to give people comfort to believe that there were greater powers involved.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think in terms of JFK, it's hard to accept that an event of such importance was done by a loser like Oswald.
Correct. Then there are the "technical" aspects like his mediocre shooting skills and the utter crap rifle he useed.
These nagging FACT's are the basis for most of the "patsy" thinking.

Quote:
...and it seems to give people comfort to believe that there were greater powers involved.
Comfort? Hardly. But in the absence of clear answers (which are not likely to ever come) ...
the void between supposition/plausible and the rather little known truth doesn't narrow.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Correct. Then there are the "technical" aspects like his mediocre shooting skills and the utter crap rifle he useed.
These nagging FACT's are the basis for most of the "patsy" thinking.

Comfort? Hardly. But in the absence of clear answers (which are not likely to ever come) ...
the void between supposition/plausible and the rather little known truth doesn't narrow.
I don't want to argue the same topic for the upteenth time but once again you are relying on bad information that keeps on being repeated again, and again, and again. It's really tired arguing the same point so I will argue this and let it go:

1.) The Carcano is not a "crap rifle". HOW DO I KNOW? I own one, same model. It's accurate and the cycling of the bolt is smooth as butter. It's still being used in combat in fact in conflicts in Algeria and Syria. The shots have been successfully repeated with the same model rifle numerous times.
2.) Oswald was a marine, and was qualified as marksman. Not the highest qualification (which explains why he totally missed the target on one shot), but regardless, in comparison to a non-marine, he was highly qualified. Besides that, it was an easy shot. HOW DO I KNOW? I visited the snipers perch in Dallas some years back and saw his viewpoint and was frankly surprised in how close a shot it was.

PLEASE don't respond with the typical blog sights and youtube videos by conspiracy theorists that start on this topic, which has been covered many times in the forum and certainly in this thread. Do you own a carcano? Have you been to the Texas School Depository? If not then you are not qualified to answer.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
I don't want to argue the same topic for the upteenth time but once again you are relying on bad information that keeps on being repeated again, and again, and again. It's really tired arguing the same point so I will argue this and let it go:

1.) The Carcano is not a "crap rifle". HOW DO I KNOW? I own one, same model. It's accurate and the cycling of the bolt is smooth as butter. It's still being used in combat in fact in conflicts in Algeria and Syria. The shots have been successfully repeated with the same model rifle numerous times.
2.) Oswald was a marine, and was qualified as marksman. Not the highest qualification (which explains why he totally missed the target on one shot), but regardless, in comparison to a non-marine, he was highly qualified. Besides that, it was an easy shot. HOW DO I KNOW? I visited the snipers perch in Dallas some years back and saw his viewpoint and was frankly surprised in how close a shot it was.

PLEASE don't respond with the typical blog sights and youtube videos by conspiracy theorists that start on this topic, which has been covered many times in the forum and certainly in this thread. Do you own a carcano? Have you been to the Texas School Depository? If not then you are not qualified to answer.
I started this thread and it amazes me that six years later someone still wants to continue it.

I do not understand the fascination that these conspiracy theories seem to have whether it is about JFK, the Kennedy family, or some entirely different person.

I personally am satisfied that Oswald was the lone gunman in this assassination and that its very likely he acted alone and was not part of a conspiracy.

This topic has been covered ad nauseam and people who want to believe there was a conspiracy will not be convinced otherwise. As the person who started this thread, I would at this point encourage the moderator(s) to simply close it down.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I started this thread and it amazes me that six years later someone still wants to continue it.

I do not understand the fascination that these conspiracy theories seem to have whether it is about JFK, the Kennedy family, or some entirely different person.

I personally am satisfied that Oswald was the lone gunman in this assassination and that its very likely he acted alone and was not part of a conspiracy.

This topic has been covered ad nauseam and people who want to believe there was a conspiracy will not be convinced otherwise. As the person who started this thread, I would at this point encourage the moderator(s) to simply close it down.
Necroposters! Gotta love 'em.

I think CityData pays the search engines (google, etc.) so that if you enter a search term (JFK assassination) it appears first, so new users see a post from years ago, become a member, because they just gotta say something about it.

Regardless, this topic, like the "causes of the civil war" and "was the atomic bombing of Japan justified" seems to pop up every few years. Mods will probably close this if you request them to. It is tiring debating the same old topics and continously correcting the same old misstatement.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I'm always amazed at the human tendency to rely on conspiracy theories, even when evidence is proved to the contrary, even when competing conspiracy theories conflict with each other.
The below link pretty much explains the reasons:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...iracy-theories

The desire for understanding and certainty
The desire for control and security
The desire to maintain a positive self-image

I think in terms of JFK, it's hard to accept that an event of such importance was done by a loser like Oswald. There needs to be a greater purpose, and it seems to give people comfort to believe that there were greater powers involved.
It's provides zero "comfort" to simply assume that Oswald did it. if you want to feel good about it, then continue to believe that he acted alone. But those of us who lived through it and have read some of the best researched books on it, feel the same way that the Kennedy family feel. It was our CIA plus elements of the mob plus no one knows.

The further away we get in time, the more people forget and the more people will be content to swallow the kool aid. There was stuff seriously wrong in our government back then. There's stuff wrong now. Does no one even notice?

Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM

BTW, Oswald was not a "loser." He spoke English and Russian (was taught Russian by our government), traveled to the USSR and then our government allowed him back in again, which is unusual. I am not up on the correct terminology, but he was a low level agent for the CIA. In a way he was a loser because he did what they told him to do.

The had him pretending to like the Communists and they had him handing out leaflets that were pro Castro. This went against our government who, if you remember, tried to poison Castro with a drink. They had him working down around New Orleans, I think, as a courier who delivered secret messages. He'd do anything--so he was a bit of a loser in that way. Made him feel important, probably. Assassination was supposed to take place in Florida? I can't remember, but something got in the way so it happened a little bit later in Dallas. Sure, he probably shot a gun and he probably hit JFK. No one knows.

LBJ, who was VP and became president, said at a party in Dallas the night before, something to the effect that it would all be over tomorrow, thank goodness. LBJ was not in on it, although someone told him about it.

If even the Kennedy family knows it was not simply the work of LHO, who are we to think we know better? And that's one reason this country is now is such a mess. People do not care.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
BTW, Oswald was not a "loser." He spoke English and Russian (was taught Russian by our government), traveled to the USSR and then our government allowed him back in again, which is unusual. I am not up on the correct terminology, but he was a low level agent for the CIA. In a way he was a loser because he did what they told him to do.

The had him pretending to like the Communists and they had him handing out leaflets that were pro Castro. This went against our government who, if you remember, tried to poison Castro with a drink. They had him working down around New Orleans, I think, as a courier who delivered secret messages. He'd do anything--so he was a bit of a loser in that way. Made him feel important, probably. Assassination was supposed to take place in Florida? I can't remember, but something got in the way so it happened a little bit later in Dallas. Sure, he probably shot a gun and he probably hit JFK. No one knows.

LBJ, who was VP and became president, said at a party in Dallas the night before, something to the effect that it would all be over tomorrow, thank goodness. LBJ was not in on it, although someone told him about it.

If even the Kennedy family knows it was not simply the work of LHO, who are we to think we know better? And that's one reason this country is now is such a mess. People do not care.
You are just repeating tired old conspiracy fables, mixed in with a few facts in order to sound legitimate (yes, our government wanted to assassinate Castro, yes Oswald lived in Russia and was such a loser that even Russia didn't want him). There is absolutely zero evidence that Oswald worked in any capacity with the CIA. There is absolutely zero evidence that LBJ was in any way, shape, or form connected with the assassination.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/04/polit...emo/index.html

Why don't you do your moderator job and close this thread as the OP requested?

Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
You are just repeating tired old conspiracy fables, mixed in with a few facts in order to sound legitimate (yes, our government wanted to assassinate Castro, yes Oswald lived in Russia and was such a loser that even Russia didn't want him). There is absolutely zero evidence that Oswald worked in any capacity with the CIA. There is absolutely zero evidence that LBJ was in any way, shape, or form connected with the assassination.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/04/polit...emo/index.html

Why don't you do your moderator job and close this thread as the OP requested?
That wouldn't really be her job. That would be mine (or PJSaturn) as the assigned moderators for this forum. I'm not planning to close this thread because my interest in the JFK assassination resulted in my posting in some of these threads, which resulted in PJSaturn asking me if I wanted to moderate this forum. Besides, there really isn't a reason that the thread should be closed, and City-Data doesn't want us to close threads unless there is a good reason.

Oswald wasn't a very good shot. He just barely managed to qualify with a rifle in the Marines (I believe it was by one point). There is no evidence that he ever practiced shooting a rifle in the 4 years between his discharge from the Marine Corps and the assassination. (Actually, there is a book that describes the times that Oswald and Jack Ruby practiced together at a shooting range, but few in the research community give it any credence.) His Carcano was so badly out of alignment that the FBI had to install shims before they could test it. Yes, the 3 shots in 5.6 seconds have been done in reenactment tests. Now, let's find a guy that could barely qualify, hasn't shot a rifle for 4 years, has a badly misaligned rifle, and is under extreme stress, and see if he can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History