Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
Huh?

Curtiss "bomb them into the stone age" Lemay did not want to use the Bomb?

BWAHAHA!!!
Yes, that is correct. Both LeMay and the USSBS figured that they could have defeated the Japanese without using the atomic bomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I think what the military thought was pretty much what the navy thought about airpower. It would end their battle ship love affair.In fact it was the military that advised Truman of estimate of casualties to invade japan.Truman basically took over what FDR started. I thnik we can not even come close to the feeling about the japanese of pele in those days. Halsey stated it pretty well when he said Kill japs and keep killing japs.People hated the japanese. Itb wasn't a question of if we could defeat them but how many american life woulf it take. There was no question then in peoles mind that american lifes were worth more than japanese in their minds.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's a pretty loose definition of genocide there Moth, we certainly conquered the Indians and bent them to our will but we never attempted to wipe them out.
whe you say we? what do you mean, who do you include? cause fpr some reason people seem to give britain and their descendants credit for that since we speak english here, and ignore, the spanish, french and dutch, germans etc who had colonized land in the mid section and eastern section of the north america before britain had a actually strong hold and before their was a truly US colonies

Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
whe you say we? what do you mean, who do you include? cause fpr some reason people seem to give britain and their descendants credit for that since we speak english here, and ignore, the spanish, french and dutch, germans etc who had colonized land in the mid section and eastern section of the north america before britain had a actually strong hold and before their was a truly US colonies

Are you bingoed? In any event by "we" I mean The United States.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think what the military thought was pretty much what the navy thought about airpower. It would end their battle ship love affair.In fact it was the military that advised Truman of estimate of casualties to invade japan.Truman basically took over what FDR started. I thnik we can not even come close to the feeling about the japanese of pele in those days. Halsey stated it pretty well when he said Kill japs and keep killing japs.People hated the japanese. Itb wasn't a question of if we could defeat them but how many american life woulf it take. There was no question then in peoles mind that american lifes were worth more than japanese in their minds.
That actually WAS ended by Pearl Harbor, the Navy's love of the battleship. But, it seems that they were right to value its use, since the battleships became a target for those enemy forces in the first place.

Even today, the aircraft carrier is simply a part of a larger battle group that contains submarines, auxiliary vessels, and surface combatants like cruisers, destroyers, and frigates.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, that is correct. Both LeMay and the USSBS figured that they could have defeated the Japanese without using the atomic bomb.
More people (over 100,000) died immediately in LeMay's Tokyo firebombing of August 9-10, 1945, than in either of the atomic bomb attacks.

Truly a horrible event in the history of mankind...

1945 Tokyo Firebombing Left Legacy of Terror, Pain

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

I agree, those were also horrible.

And unnecessary.

I do not think that an invasion would have been required WITHOUT the bomb. We never had to invade, we could have simply blockaded the nation until they were willing to surrender--conditionally.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
I agree, those were also horrible.

And unnecessary.

I do not think that an invasion would have been required WITHOUT the bomb. We never had to invade, we could have simply blockaded the nation until they were willing to surrender--conditionally.
Thus causing a famine which would have probably killed millions.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Thus causing a famine which would have probably killed millions.
No...which would have caused them to surrender...made them more willing.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
No...which would have caused them to surrender...made them more willing.
I'm sure in the 28 pages of this forum this has been discussed ad naseum (it's just too long to read the whole thread), as I am sure no amount of evidence, support, common sense, or logic will change your mind. - but "them" was a military dictatorship, not particularly moved by the influence of the people of Japan. What I am saying is they would have been content to let their own people starve. Leadership that uses human bombs is not particularly concerned about the lives of it's people. Besides, obviously, not one person during that time, military or civilian, was promoting a wait out strategy of blockade. That made no strategic sense, the world just can't go on hold for 5 years. It was invasion or atomic weapons, no other option.

Even to get them to surrendor after two atomic bomb drops took almost a coup within the military leadership. Lucky they did, we didn't have a third bomb to drop so it may have very well been invasion at that point.

Another issue is the suffering of those countries that were still under Japanese occupation. The Japanese were not a benevolent occuping power to put things mildly, even cutoff from the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History