Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

IMO;alot more deaths. I thnik it hard for us to undersatnd the hate for the Japanese among the public; so there was no question on if really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't even think we need THAT much government. The person to keep others from stealing from you...is you.

Then when two guys band together to rob me I have to band together with others to protect myself. The next thing you know we have.........government!

Just how do you think governments got started in the first place?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Then when two guys band together to rob me I have to band together with others to protect myself. The next thing you know we have.........government!

Governments didn't get started in order to protect you - they got started in order to screw you.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Governments didn't get started in order to protect you - they got started in order to screw you.
No, corporations got started in order to screw me. People started governments to protect themselves from brigands (thieves before they'd thought of corporations) and to solve problems inherant in living in groups.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

Why would they band together, when they can't trust each other?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Why would they band together, when they can't trust each other?
I don't know why, but band together they do.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
I don't really have a lot of trust for other people, and bond to only one person at a time. That being said, I don't join them in any of their pursuits, save for the obvious one.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

737 posts, read 1,037,171 times
I haven't kept count,...but I think more than 2 nukes have been dropped in this thread!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I don't give a damn about the Japanese. They started that lemminglike onslaught across Asia and the Pacific and killed far more civilians in than the Americans ever did at Nagasaki and Hiroshima. In fact, in the Sack of Nanking, at least 200,000 Chinese civilians died, possibly 300,000, and every one of them were brutally killed by bullet and bayonet. My uncle was in the liberation of the Philippines and the Japanese during the last days of the Battle of Manila amused themselves by tossing infants out of maternity ward window of a hospital and catching them on bayonets. His unit overran the hospital and saw for himself.

So while, 65 years after the fact, we're all debating the niceties of whether or not atomic weapons should have used or not, I'm personally glad we flattened two Japanese cities if it ended the war. It ultimately saved more lives than an invasion would have, one of whom was my father whose unit was slated to be one of the first ashore.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Mitsuo Fuchida, a pilot who lead the attack on Pearl Harbor and who was the last surviving flight leader in that attack at the end of the war, stated that had Japan possessed nukes during WWII they would have used them.
And lets not forget the predations of Unit 731.

Look, when you enter into war, you risk getting things rammed back in your face in multiples of the force you exerted. Japan decided to attack the U.S. (one of the biggest military blunders in history) and thus forfeited any claim to the moral high road. Admiral Yamamoto knew the risks and those completely foreseen consequences came to fruition for Japan. They had ample opportunity to surrender before the atomic bombings, but even with their ability to viably make war completely in shambles the Japanese military establishment decided to carry on.
The suppressed stories of Japanese sadism go on and on, they could fill a Britannica.
Unfortunately sometime in the 90s the US government banded together with the still-unrepentent Japanese government to block POW/slave lawsuits demanding reparations. You know, the sort of reparations we paid the relocated west coast Japanese? The story that still works for guilt-tripping, year after year?

Quote:
An intelligent people want a government that has very little power or influence over their everyday lives. So why is there so much law and government involvement in OUR lives, as Americans--assuming that we're an intelligent people?

An emperor is in some lofty tower, and doesn't really affect the lives of the peons he's not in direct contact with.
Because the servants have taken over the master's manor. And it looks (I hope) like The Law of Unintended Consequences is taking hold of PO'd Americans, with a passion. (Mod Cut) History here.. not politics. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't give a damn about the Japanese. They started that lemminglike onslaught across Asia and the Pacific and killed far more civilians in than the Americans ever did at Nagasaki and Hiroshima. In fact, in the Sack of Nanking, at least 200,000 Chinese civilians died, possibly 300,000, and every one of them were brutally killed by bullet and bayonet. My uncle was in the liberation of the Philippines and the Japanese during the last days of the Battle of Manila amused themselves by tossing infants out of maternity ward window of a hospital and catching them on bayonets. His unit overran the hospital and saw for himself.

So while, 65 years after the fact, we're all debating the niceties of whether or not atomic weapons should have used or not, I'm personally glad we flattened two Japanese cities if it ended the war. It ultimately saved more lives than an invasion would have, one of whom was my father whose unit was slated to be one of the first ashore.
Unremitting cruelty and sadism, that in a nutshell is Japan, Inc. in WWII and before. God knows how many millions of innocent souls suffered unimaginable--except for Stephen King's imagination--horrors at their evil hands.

The 180 degree contrast in how Allied POWs were treated compared to Japanese POWs picked up, for example, by US submarines is an amazing story to read.

Last edited by Thyra; 09-23-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History