Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
I never been in army, but I doubt training soldiers will break and run if they suffer from a bayonet charges. I think 99% of them will have the reflex to shoot at you.
A bayonnet charges looks like a suicide and one of the worst decision you can take in a modern battlefield.

I'am not a soldier so I might be wrong. But I don't see a "shock effect" works on regular army. And even on irregular force, I won't try it.
This is a history forum. Then Lieutenant Millett is often credited with leading the last US bayonet charge during the Korean War. He credits it with being in the Canadian Army early in WWII and with their relatively low rate of fire bolt action rifles went into action with fixed bayonets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
A bayonnet charges looks like a suicide and one of the worst decision you can take in a modern battlefield.
Which is why you very rarely see it on the modern battlefield. The US Army doesn't even train recruits in bayonet charges anymore.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
So in WW2 apparently the Italians were effective handful of times, and during those times, they charged in on horses and cut down the enemy with sabres?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K1WsOyxjao&t=717s

Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
This Army soldier earned the Medal of Honor for his actions in Fallujah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFiQnW4hXfw

5 Harrowing Stories Of Hand-To-Hand Combat In Iraq And Afghanistan

Quote:
One common explanation is that the conduct of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan precludes the sort of close-quarters battle conditions that lead to extraordinary acts by combat troops. "[O]ur enemies generally use weapons at a distance from us,” then-Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said of the decrease in valor awards during a 2010 interview with CNN. “So, there's less hand-to-hand or in-close combat than there has been in previous wars."

In general, that’s probably correct. But the fact is that there are numerous stories of heroism in close combat from our generation. What follows are five instances of hand-to-hand combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, drawn largely from award citations for valor; they include moments when the mission went completely sideways, or a service weapon wasn’t always handy, and the only thing standing between life and death for these servicemen and their comrades was their refusal to back down from a fight.
Keep in mind that there are most likely many more incidents of hand to hand combat that were never reported during the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan.

There was this one drone infrared night vision footage I saw a while ago of American soldiers engaging the enemy, might have been Afghanistan. This one enemy had a grenade and an American soldier rushed him and knocked him to the ground, using the enemies' own body to shield the grenade blast and protect his teammates. It was an incredible thing to witness.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:31 AM

827 posts, read 631,716 times
In rwanda, the genocide was mainly made by people armed with machet and knife.
I don't know if you can consider it as a battle as I don't know if the other side really defend themself.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This Army soldier earned the Medal of Honor for his actions in Fallujah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFiQnW4hXfw

5 Harrowing Stories Of Hand-To-Hand Combat In Iraq And Afghanistan

Keep in mind that there are most likely many more incidents of hand to hand combat that were never reported during the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan.

There was this one drone infrared night vision footage I saw a while ago of American soldiers engaging the enemy, might have been Afghanistan. This one enemy had a grenade and an American soldier rushed him and knocked him to the ground, using the enemies' own body to shield the grenade blast and protect his teammates. It was an incredible thing to witness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun

Low on bullets, the heroic group of soldiers decided to 'go out fighting' after being encircled by the brainwashed death cult near Mosul.

In an extraordinary survival story, another Brit soldier killed three militant thugs using his rifle as a club.

The heroic members of the Royal Navy’s Special Boat Service were convinced they were going to die after being outnumbered and encircled after being ambushed by around 50 ISIS fighters near Mosul.

After killing at least 20 of the terrorists, the elite group realised they had around 10 bullets left between them and were trapped in a small river bed.

And faced with the prospect of being captured and tortured, the men opted for a “soldier’s death” and decided to fight like “crazed warriors” to kill as many of the extremists as possible.

Speaking with the Star, the source said: “They knew that if they were captured they would be tortured and decapitated.

“Rather than die on their knees, they went for a soldier’s death and charged the IS fighters who were moving along the river bed.

“They were screaming and swearing as they set about the terrorists.”

The Brits shook hands and said goodbye, convinced they were going to die while charging the remaining 30 ISIS thugs.

They ran towards the depraved militants while firing off their remaining bullets before stabbing and slashing at the death cult members.

One man, a SBS Warrant Officer, drowned one of the ISIS soldiers in a puddle after forcing his face into the ground, claims the source.

The same man then picked up a stone and smashed the skull of another terrorist fighter.

The source added: “Another killed three of the fighters by using his assault rifle as a club.”

After five minutes of hand-to-hand combat, 12 ISIS fanatics were dead or severely injured while the rest of the cowardly jihadists fled in fear.

Miraculously, everyone of the Brits survived despite all of the proud men sustaining injuries. At least two of the brave fighters received gun shot wounds.

British soldier drowns ISIS thug in puddle as SBS troops fight like ‘crazed warriors’ killing extremists with their bare hands after being ambushed in Iraq - The Sun (2017)

Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
That is amazing, but at the same time kind of shows how incompetent the terrorists are. They have guns, the brits had no bullets. It should have been a shoe-in for the terrorists.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:38 AM

827 posts, read 631,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That is amazing, but at the same time kind of shows how incompetent the terrorists are. They have guns, the brits had no bullets. It should have been a shoe-in for the terrorists.

I live in a big city who suffer from some islamist attacks.
And i made myself the same conclusion the terrorists are pretty stupid.
There are some metro station at some hour, who are literrally so full of people that you can't walk. A panic movement and you might get hundreds of injuries just with people running on each other.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Shout out to our Brit comrades in arms. Not a lot of publicity but they have been in this fight with ISIS from the start and don't always get a lot of recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History