Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

I am not sure when Rush or Savage started, but I do recall that late night shows hosted by local talk show hosts covered the gamut of subjects, not just politics. I remember when sports radio started to become popular, and fans of the locals teams would always call in to say this was the year to go all the way.

I think conservative talk radio became so popular because most of the news in print and on TV is more liberal than neutral. Hence the reason FOX is now the most popular, because America is a right leaning society, but the news was slanted to the left.
I remember listening to a liberal radio show called Air America for a little while back in the late 90's. It was horrible, because the hosts were far left wing loons with little sense of humor. Even when they got people like Al Franken to host, his normally funny side was masked by the hateful vitriol coming out of him and hosts like Janeane Garofalo. That is part of the reason it went under, and now most of talk radio is just conservative hosts and sports radio programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
In the "National Lampoon" Nov. 1985 "Hate Issue",filmmaker John Waters described talk radio as (paraphrased because I can't remember the exact quotation):

"Militantly stupid stay-at-homes calling professionally obnoxious hosts because they don't have any friends to bother with their inconsequential opinions."

Old 04-27-2015, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I remember listening to Rush when I was working full time for a locksmith service company. Another guy I liked to listen to back then was G. Gordon Liddy. Loved that show probably more than Rush's show.

I don't see these guys as abrasive. I see them as entertaining.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:55 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
In the "National Lampoon" Nov. 1985 "Hate Issue",filmmaker John Waters described talk radio as (paraphrased because I can't remember the exact quotation):

"Militantly stupid stay-at-homes calling professionally obnoxious hosts because they don't have any friends to bother with their inconsequential opinions."

That shows exactly what Rush changed in talk radio.

He took control of the talk format away from the callers-"militantly stupid" or not, and took it upon himself to thoroughly control the programming.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That shows exactly what Rush changed in talk radio.

But remains as the prime example of "professionally obnoxious host".

Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Calmer, more sane and less emotional. Where the caller could pick a topic and express their views without being interrupted and talked over. Less one sided.
Oh puhleeze. It was *even more* like that back then.

The big difference then vs. now was that all talk radio then was "Local Local Local". The idea of a nationally syndicated show, other than folksy Paul Harvey and a few others, was not contemplated.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Joe Pine was one of the earliest Talk Shows I remember.

Joe Pyne switched to television in the 1960's, before passing away of cancer in 1970.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
There were all-talk stations before Rush, not counting the all-news formats. Chicago had all-sports stations, along with all talk stations, including WIND. That was the home of "Chicago" Eddie Schwartz and Dave Baum, along with others I don't remember.

The shows would sometimes be on political or social subjects, sometimes about what kind of pets you had.

A big reason for the change in the talk format was that more talk was needed to fill the schedule of stations that had previously been all-music, like WLS-AM in Chicago. As FM stations range extended, then the inferior quality of AM could not sustain music formats.

Add to that the arrival of shock-jocks. Steve Dahl in Chicago started with a music show, then progressively talked more and played less music, while keeping or gaining ratings, until the point where it was all talk.

There were also late evening radio-advice-psychiatrist shows which I would switch off quickly.

KFI in Los Angeles had to morph from a music to talk station, and for years presented both right and left points of view. Tom Leykis had a talk show in the afternoon, but listners in SoCal tired of a daily hour on abortion. As KFI grew to understand the audience, they drifted to a right-leaning format, with a local emphasis. They used to have Rush on in the AM, but switched him to an affiliated station and added a local host to KFI.

That need for talk over music had to have been a factor in the rise of Rush as AM stations looked for content, which is why it appears that Rush was the beginning of the talk format.
This is a good point. As "no static at all" FM took over music, AM stations had to fill the void, and talk radio was their usual choice.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Mushy pablum.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am a big time KFI listener. Love listening to Bill Handel in the Morning and on Saturdays he has his Handel in the Law segment where people can call in about legal issues. That show is about as funny a show on talk radio. Most of the people are very entertaining as is Bill. The success that Bill Handel has had allowed him to take over the Rush time slot, right after Handel and the news that starts at 6AM I think. I still listen to Rush but seem to switch back to Bill.
I remember Michael Jackson on KABC would be my parents talk radio and when I would drive home from work I would listen to Leykis on KFI. As he had a more libertarian liberal slant than Rush when they would bring all the host in on a meeting of the mouths special broadcast. I remember a general talk show, and the Leykis 101 convince her to get an abortion stuff started after he was fired in favor of chief Daryl Gates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History