Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,082,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I see nothing at all racist in his writings. He’s relating his observations of specific people in specific settings, not discussing all members of a ‘race’ everywhere.

Plus, stop trying to apply today’s ideas and morality to people of the past. Trust me, our current culture will be judged just as harshly a hundred years from now as we judge our past.
Just in case someone misses it, the above post can be described as "wisdom".

Modern folks sitting on their sofa eating Lucky Charms and watching the Telly, and judging (for instance) the Mormons that pushed two-wheeled carts by hand from Illinois to Utah over broken ground to escape religious persecution, don't get a say, IMHO. Until you've lived the hardships of the people that you're judging by today's standards, your credibility just isn't there. Survival was a constant struggle back then, and there was intense competition for just about everything, and as a result there was a lot of violence, suffering, and injustice. Young people, especially, who believe that food comes from the supermarket and energy comes from the wall outlet, just don't get it, and hopefully, will never have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 09:29 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,919,029 times
Have a bio of him on my to read table...it's by Walter Isaacson....will be interesting to see how this is addressed.

I agree with others...he's dead and we are certainly the better off for his contributions...

Old 11-17-2018, 09:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
I suppose it is one of those things not to take in a vacuum.

A and B.

A: One has to consider the time in which it was written and not see it from the present. I just got done watching a 1st season, 1973, episode of Kojak, in which they were able to use the Q word "*****" in a double meaning, both for the homosexuality (gay wasn't the word back then) in the story which was pretty difficult a story to do then and for the bad money involved.

One has to appreciate the surroundings for when something was done.

B: Hard to say with diaries what one might have actually meant when they wrote it. Here's a paragraph from my diaries .... "Rescheduled my engagement for Friday, tomorrow, at 1330. Going up to Austin, even to Slaughter, late afternoon when I have to work puts a strain on systems, especially when I'm reeling from Mossie et al bites.".

What the blazes could all that mean? A and B. A: I suppose if someone wanted to, they could work out a script reading all my diaries to determine a pattern of my writing to figure out its lexicon. They might come up with a correct translation guide....or not.

B: Even the most clear plain text may have an alternate meaning to it. Just look at ......
Where is, repeat, where is Task Force Thirty Four? The world wonders.......

Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,256,012 times
I agree, continuing to view past figures with today's glasses on is a pointless endeavor. People live their lives and develop their own opinions that way. The man was brilliant and discovered through his travels and his life that people arent what you think they are and was an anti racism speaker. In the '20s he only knew what he saw up to that point and made observations accordingly.

But they do seem to be more travel observations that racist remarks. When I travel I observe people and remark on. Not necessarily as a judgement of an entire populace but as an observation of what I am seeing in front of me.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:06 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,199,387 times
Ever notice how only negative opinions are racist? If Einstein had written "The Chinese struck me as an industrious, obedient population, for whom manners are very important"..that would be a judgment of the entire race just as saying the opposite would be. In the case of the first, no one would be complaining about a sweeping judgment, in the case of the latter, they would.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:15 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,470,994 times
Hmm. Originally posted on Faux News, then ... featured on the NY Post. Looks like some credible sources right there.

I'm sure they didn't just cherrypick some quotes from the actual diaries (see here) and then package them into some ridiculous overblown drivel that would be appealing to their right-wing fanbase

Old 11-17-2018, 11:25 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,705,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Watch some old videos of the Riots in major US cities. Read about the Chinese exclusion act and Japanese Internment. Relearn about the civil rights movement and why it was necessary and was resisted by many.

The world has been racist for a long time. Hell, most of the colonial settlers who came to the US did so because they were being discriminated against back home. Doesn't mean they themselves weren't prejudiced.
Why are you telling me what I should do? This is the history forum, not the political forum. This is a forum for the dispassionate discussion of historical facts, not a forum for attacking the U.S. or the rest of the world for the moral ramifications of their actions.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM

8,950 posts, read 11,817,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I see nothing at all racist in his writings. He’s relating his observations of specific people in specific settings, not discussing all members of a ‘race’ everywhere.

Plus, stop trying to apply today’s ideas and morality to people of the past. Trust me, our current culture will be judged just as harshly a hundred years from now as we judge our past.
Good point! People of the past lived in a different time. These days I am worried I might be labeled a racist if I say I don't like an ethnic food.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-17-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,703,408 times
Regardless of his views, whether wrong or right, the man was a genious.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,798,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I'm sure they didn't just cherrypick some quotes from the actual diaries (see here) and then package them into some ridiculous overblown drivel that would be appealing to their right-wing fanbase
He was a man of European heritage at perhaps the modern-era peak of that culture (at least, in their own regard). It is not unusual that he would see another culture as inferior. Technically, yes, that's racism. But across the span of human time, it is very difficult for even the most enlightened figures to be completely free of their era's influences.

It makes for a fuller picture of the man, who is widely misunderstood anyway. Not a nice addition, but believing he was just a kindly ol' rumpled grandpa who happened to unravel key secrets of the universe is cartoon nonsense. (For one thing, he was quite a meticulous and natty dresser. Only very late in life, after his wife died, did he get "rumpled" as we commonly imagine him.)

(He also had a daughter out of wedlock that he may have abandoned to adoption because of the social inconvenience.)

Misinterpreting cultural perceptions is hardly limited to him, or that time. Differences in how daily life is lived has tripped up many an otherwise acute observer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History