Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're forgetting all the Italians, Germans, Polish, and Hungarian especially in NJ and the tri-state area.
Sorry, I was listing early settlers to areas that predominated. It doesn't mean that others were not contributing.

My neighborhood was originally settled by Dutch, but became well known for its Italian and Jewish population. It is currently predominately Chinese. The Chinese have not brought up removing any Italian, Jewish and Dutch monuments yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 05:18 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
All of my ancestors have the same ethnic identity that I do, "Homo Sapiens". There is no other human race. In terms of national origins: Great Britain, Scotland, Ireland and Germany, but that only goes back a couple of handfuls of generations. Who knows where their ancestors came from. Humans have been extraordinarily mobile since they left Africa.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:01 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
All of my ancestors have the same ethnic identity that I do, "Homo Sapiens". There is no other human race. In terms of national origins: Great Britain, Scotland, Ireland and Germany, but that only goes back a couple of handfuls of generations. Who knows where their ancestors came from. Humans have been extraordinarily mobile since they left Africa.
This is so true, some people in the US seem to think that the US is the only country in the world that has a population of mixed ethnic heritage. British people in some people's eyes are all 'Anglo Saxons'. The reality is of course somewhat different, Europeans (originally) were always invading and settling each others countries and In the case of Western Europes old colonial powers people have settled from further afield for quite a time now. A very long time ago people from Iberia settled in Britain, then the Celts then Romans, tribes from modern Germany (yes including the Angles and the Saxons), the Vikings, the Normans (who caused genocide in the whole of northern England (see 'The cleansing of the north)) etc, etc, I'm sure I've missed many, in the last few hundred years there have been large immigrations from Italy, China, the Jews, India (other parts of Asia), Jamaica and the West Indies (of course),Nigeria and most recently of all Eastern Europe. If you are American then just having British heritage already makes you a 'mongrel', I reckon most of Europe has had the same flow of settlers too.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,894 times
HG R1b mostly, imo.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 851,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv199 View Post
American people mostly share the same culture, language, mentality and values. This makes "American" an ethnicity in my opinion. So, what kind of ethnicity American is? Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Mediterranean, etc?
germans are the largest non hyphenated american ethnic group

they were so scared post ww1 that they completely forgot their language and culture

Old 07-18-2020, 12:36 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
America is a distinct culture. Is that the same as an ethnicity? I don't know, you tell me. Does it really matter?
Yeah, OP, you may not have noticed, but America is a mix of ethnicities. And NO, Anglo-Germans do not think the same as Slavs or Italians or Hispanics, not to mention: Native Americans, African-Americans, and East Asians, West Asians, Central Asians, Tibetans, Mongols.

Not sure where you got the idea, that everyone thinks alike. You should get to know diverse people. REALLY get to know them.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
American people mostly share the same culture, language, mentality and values. This makes "American" an ethnicity in my opinion. So, what kind of ethnicity American is? Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Mediterranean, etc?

I think "American ethnicity" would be its own thing as we are nothing like the Germanic, Celtic, Slavs & Mediterraneans today. i think we will look more like people on our own hemisphere (Brazil, Mexico) considering we are all mix indigenous blood and european blood.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,839,475 times
Quote:
Irish, English, Germanic, Italian, maybe some French maybe some mix of whoever was living in Britain at the time. Everyone primarily from Christopher Columbus's boat....

Old 08-25-2020, 12:43 PM

491 posts, read 324,427 times
Quote:
It would be Anglo-Saxon with a dash of black.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:42 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Homo sapien is a species, not a race, and not an ethnic identity (both of which are different things from each other too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History