Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:32 AM

3,516 posts, read 2,673,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Correct. And as much as the Left hates it, core US culture came from Great Britain. See our legal system, majority language, religious groups, etc.
You would be wrong, and why would the left hate it? Also English Is a Germanic Language.
1 German 17.1%
2 African American 14.6%
3 English, Scottish, and/or Scotch Irish 12.6%
4 Irish 11.6%
5 Mexican 10.9%
6 American n.e.s. 6.7%
7 Italian 5.9%
8 Polish 3.0%
9 French 2.9%
10 Native American, First Nations, or Alaskan Native 1.6%

Last edited by txfriend; 03-01-2020 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 12:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,216 times
I'm pretty much the epitome of what an ethnic American is. Descended from the West African slaves and European migrants, as well as the Cherokee natives of northeastern Georgia. Picture the American analogue of your prototypical Puerto Rican.

Like many Black Americans and Hispanics, I have a profile that is unique to this specific region of the world, thus undoubtedly American.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:25 PM

654 posts, read 365,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You would be wrong, and why would the left hate it? Also English Is a Germanic Language.
1 German 17.1%
2 African American 14.6%
3 English, Scottish, and/or Scotch Irish 12.6%
4 Irish 11.6%
5 Mexican 10.9%
6 American n.e.s. 6.7%
7 Italian 5.9%
8 Polish 3.0%
9 French 2.9%
10 Native American, First Nations, or Alaskan Native 1.6%

The left hates it because the UK is traditionally "white".

Legal system: common law system, from England.
Language: predominantly English, from where? England.
Religious groups: mainstream ones are still Episcopal (Church of England), Presbyterian (Church of Scotland), Methodist (England), and there are also Baptists (England).

If you can show me that the US legal system and English language are from a country other than England, I welcome that.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:35 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
So you can't tell a white person who is native to Britain from a white person who is native to Spain? Or you mean to tell me that on average, you can't tell, say, an Italian from a German just by looking at them? I guess you think all white people and every nationally and ethnic group in every part of Europe are physically indistinguishable, huh? You're probably also the type of person who thinks everybody who is Asian looks Chinese.
Allighty, I chime in here to say all white people, regardless of their nationality and ethnic group, look European and have identifying traits of the white race. Black people, regardless of our nationality and ethnic, regional, or cultural affiliations, look African or will at least have some identifying traits of the black race. No confusing LeBron James or even Steph Curry with Tom Brady. Brady and Cristiano Ronaldo are different nationalities and ethnicity (put blonder hair on Cristiano - as a black individual, I would probably not see much difference between him and Brady), and yes, both are white to me because they are indeed both of European origins. LeBron and Sadio Mane are different nationalities and ethnicity, yet both are black, African origins. And no, everyone who is Asian doesn't look Chinese. However, everyone who is of Chinese origins will have some distinguishing features which they and others might identify as Asian.

This stuff is becoming more convoluted than necessary. Why can't we just go back to claiming ourselves as African, European, or Asian and leave it at that?

Old 03-01-2020, 01:40 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
The left hates it because the UK is traditionally "white".

Religious groups: mainstream ones are still Episcopal (Church of England), Presbyterian (Church of Scotland), Methodist (England), and there are also Baptists (England).

If you can show me that the US legal system and English language are from a country other than England, I welcome that.
So, zero chance that the English system of law and language were brought in from elsewhere?

Old 03-01-2020, 03:25 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,673,192 times
[quote=GVLNATIVE;57460414]The left hates it because the UK is traditionally "white".

I don't understand this?

I'll give you that.

From England but English is Germanic. Even the word "England" is derived from the Old English*name*Englaland, which means "land of the Angles". The Angles were one of the Germanic tribes that settled in Great Britain during the Early Middle Ages.

Again I'll remind you that all Protestant religions were founded by Martin Luther a German monk, theologian, university professor, priest, father of Protestantism, and church reformer whose ideas started the Protestant Reformation.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,125,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Bad teeth!
...and the inability to pronounce the first letter of most words!

Old 03-01-2020, 07:13 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,874,916 times
THE USA is called a "melting pot". for a reason. Read the Historical records about mass migration from places like England, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Ireland, Scotland, China, etc. and it makes for quite a mix. Add in the ethnic mixing from slavery and things really get interesting. THE ONE THING that has been the glue keeping all these ETHNIC groups together has been a COMMON Language. India may be the largest population on the planet after the USA sharing a common language. From what I understand CHINA has three languages spread among their one billion people.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:02 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
THE USA is called a "melting pot". for a reason. Read the Historical records about mass migration from places like England, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Ireland, Scotland, China, etc. and it makes for quite a mix. Add in the ethnic mixing from slavery and things really get interesting. THE ONE THING that has been the glue keeping all these ETHNIC groups together has been a COMMON Language. India may be the largest population on the planet after the USA sharing a common language. From what I understand CHINA has three languages spread among their one billion people.
As another person pointed out, the US is not a real melting pot. It's a salad bowl: lots of different qualities that mostly keep to themselves. Those of us that are mixed and have roots going back to the colonial days are a minority. We're vastly outnumbered by families that came here over the past few generations.

We share the English language with England, so that could not be the defining American trait.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:44 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
American people mostly share the same culture, language, mentality and values. This makes "American" an ethnicity in my opinion. So, what kind of ethnicity American is? Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Mediterranean, etc?
If there were it would obviously be Native American.

The question asked by the OP steered this thread exactly where I thought it was destined, drawing in this who want us to be Anglo-Saxon, Nordic or Germanic. Obsessed that we are a White Christian Nation. We are not. We never were.

The other group is the "Non Hyphenated Americans" group. I don't care HOW early your ancestors arrived, they ARRIVED. They didn't suddenly appear. They left one country for another.

If you don't identify with any country in Europe that is fine. If you answer a question about your ancestry as "American", frankly you sound ignorant.

You don't have to be an armature genealogist to know where your ancestors came from, and approximately when.

If you came here 300 years ago, you are no better then the people who are attempting to migrate here now.

We are a nation of immigrants. No way around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History