Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM

437 posts, read 929,779 times

Advertisements

Well i love history and right now i am in an American History class. i will tell you what i learned then i will ask my Q and you can give an answer if you want. well the chapter starts off as: How does a Teenager start a world war? well it goes on to explain that Bosnia and Herzigovina was controlled by Austria-Hungry and a teen assassinates the arch duke. they arrest the teen and find out Serbia supplied them weapons so they declare war on Serbia. well Russia protects Serbia and declares war on Austria-hungry. well Germany protects them and declares war on France and Russia. so Germany attacks belgium and Great Britain declares war on Germany. So we have Britian, France, and Russia VS. Germany, Austria-Hungry and i forget the other country. well we the U.S. did't really care. let them deal with it. Well Germany sent a note to mexico which we referr to it as the Zimmerman Note and Mexico said no. but why exactly did we get involved? What side was Italy on? why didn't some of the other european countries get involved?

Last edited by Bo; 05-27-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
The United States got involved because Germany kept bugging us.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Well, ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Well i love history and right now i am in an American History class. i will tell you what i learned then i will ask my Q and you can give an answer if you want. well the chapter starts off as: How does a Teenager start a world war? well it goes on to explain that Bosnia and Herzigovina was controlled by Austria-Hungry and a teen assassinates the arch duke. they arrest the teen and find out Serbia supplied them weapons so they declare war on Serbia. well Russia protects Serbia and declares war on Austria-hungry. well Germany protects them and declares war on France and Russia. so Germany attacks belgium and Great Britain declares war on Germany. So we have Britian, France, and Russia VS. Germany, Austria-Hungry and i forget the other country. well we the U.S. did't really care. let them deal with it. Well Germany sent a note to mexico which we referr to it as the Zimmerman Note and Mexico said no. but why exactly did we get involved? What side was Italy on? why didn't some of the other european countries get involved?
...there's the sinking of the ocean liner the Lusitania, the ongoing submarine warfare that Germany was engaging in against British and American shipping, and there was also an effective anti-German campaign waged by the media in this country which gradually swayed public opinion away from neutrality and against the Central Powers (Germany, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Bulgaria, Turkey).

Italy was on "our" side in WW1, against us in WW2 ( although became somewhat neutral later in WW2).

Hope that helps..

Last edited by MassVt; 05-26-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...there's the sinking of the ocean liner the Lusitania, the ongoing submarine warfare that Germany was engaging in against British and American shipping, and there was also an effective anti-German campaign waged by the media in this country which gradually swayed public opinion away from neutrality and against the Central Powers (Germany, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Bulgaria, Turkey).

Italy was on "our" side in WW1, against us in WW2 ( although became somewhat neutral later in WW2).

Hope that helps..
Exactly right. Except Italy began as part of the Central Powers and then switched sides once they realized they were losing. Because of that, Italy was not rewarded much in the Treaty of Versailles, and their dissatisfaction was one of the tensions leading to WWII.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:52 PM

61 posts, read 79,210 times
Cuz Brittan always cons its big, dumb brother USA into winning fights it starts.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Wilson did not want the Central Powers to win or even arrive at an amicable settlement with the Triple Entente. Wilson's vision (which appeared in the League of Nations) was a precursor of modern liberal utopian globalism seen in the present day UN. The existence of rising monarchy based powers in the heartland of Europe was seen as a grave threat to "Wilsonian global democracy" which reputedly warranted our entry into the war to turn the tide. Of course, the flawed Armistice which resulted led to quite a few unpleasant things beginning 15 years later.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:43 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Exactly right. Except Italy began as part of the Central Powers and then switched sides once they realized they were losing. Because of that, Italy was not rewarded much in the Treaty of Versailles, and their dissatisfaction was one of the tensions leading to WWII.
Sorry, I can't let this go uncorrected, as someone someday may read this thread and become misinformed...

During WWI Italy was a member of the Allies against the Central Powers. After that war, in which Italy was on the winning side the entire time, she received a few minor territories at the Versailles conference - the Southern Tyrol, and the Istrian Peninsula which includes the port of Trieste, plus a temporary mandate over some Greek islands.

Italy began WWII as part of the Axis powers and switched sides once the Allies invaded the boot of Italy. As a result of starting out the war on the wrong side, Italy lost the Istrian peninsula except for the port of Trieste.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Because the US is always in other people's business.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 AM

437 posts, read 929,779 times
guys thanks tho i did forget about the Lusitania....i'm like a total history fanatic. U.S. only gets in others business when others mess up take Japan in WWII for instance. you blow up pearl harbor and we declare war on Japan.

Last edited by iColt1; 05-27-2009 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Sorry, I can't let this go uncorrected, as someone someday may read this thread and become misinformed...

During WWI Italy was a member of the Allies against the Central Powers. After that war, in which Italy was on the winning side the entire time, she received a few minor territories at the Versailles conference - the Southern Tyrol, and the Istrian Peninsula which includes the port of Trieste, plus a temporary mandate over some Greek islands.

Italy began WWII as part of the Axis powers and switched sides once the Allies invaded the boot of Italy. As a result of starting out the war on the wrong side, Italy lost the Istrian peninsula except for the port of Trieste.
Oh wow... Thankyou for the correction. I guess I didn't understand that section of the reading. I feel like a total idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History