Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,121 times

Advertisements

Our family spent several vacations in the Sixties exploring western ghost towns before many sites became totally looted or turned into tourist traps. It was a fascinating way to learn some western history.

This is a terrific site for photographs:

Ghost Towns | Hundreds of Pictures of Ghost Towns from Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho and Montana

Any abandoned place has thus drawn me in like a magnet ever since. I wander around trying to "read the ruins" and guess at the lives of the people who lived there. I guess they call it "urban exploring" nowadays:

Abandoned Places | WebUrbanist

Dark Roasted Blend: Abandoned Places & Urban Exploring

Is this a hobby for anyone here? Any secret places and/or tips you'd like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 03:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,299 times
Around my area many state forest areas have an abandoned villege by a river that was turned into a dam or by an old railroad. If they have a graveyard the stones are typically from late 1800s or early 1900s. Its hard to find much older than that though, those are typically found mixed in everyday historic towns.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Got some places you will not readily find on the Internet unless you know where to look. If you are ever in California in the Eastern Sierra PM me and I'll share a few with you. Mind you its a half days 4X4 ride into some serious back country. They are not on your lists. BTW

Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 PM

77 posts, read 89,370 times
Default another site with photos and information...

and some forums is Ghost Towns and History of the American West

Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
White Oaks, just NE of Carrizozo, NM is one of my favorite places. It has a museum which is open much of the time.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Cool idea but need pictures

Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Got some places you will not readily find on the Internet unless you know where to look. If you are ever in California in the Eastern Sierra PM me and I'll share a few with you. Mind you its a half days 4X4 ride into some serious back country. They are not on your lists. BTW
Everyone likes hitting the beaches or the slopes, or downtown to get inebriated off their behind.
The best kept secrets of CA usually lie in the areas you just mentioned, like time passed the area by and kept it sort of fresh for the untrained eye.

Yes, aside from bicycling and shooting things, this would be on my list of fun things to do when I don't have anything else important to attend to.
Taking pictures, sifting through long-forgotten records, and just the hair-raising feel one would get from the all-out eeriness is an adventure all on its own, never mind the journey it takes to get to the abandonment.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,121 times
My family likes to hike to the ruins in Glorietta when they visit. I have a picture of one of the abandoned cars with a dark shadow behind the car that my daughter insists is a ghost.
Backpacker Magazine - Glorietta Ghost Town, New Mexico

I go to Cerrillos State Park to hike and see the abandoned mines and never thought about Cerrillos being a ghost town until I read this site. Ghost Towns and History of the American West

The Santa Fe Botanical Garden does tours of the Ortiz Mines. I've done of few of their events - they're fun and informative. Ortiz Mountains Educational Preserve | Santa Fe Botanical Garden

Another site with more info:
Ghost Towns & Forgotten Villages

When I read the first site suggested I wondered what made them ghost towns since the towns still exists (Cerrillos, Madrid) but after reading other sites I see why. Thanks for posting--this makes me want to get out and explore more of the ghost towns in my area.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:39 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,121 times
Eerie photos of abandoned "ghostscrapers:"

Falling from the sky: Inside the abandoned 'ghostscrapers' that litter America | Mail Online

As a booklover, it pains me dearly to see all those books lying there unread and unwanted in the Detroit book depository.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I couldn't agree more. That is really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation