Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

I recently picked up a new hobby. Throwing things.

Axes, knives, shovels, atlatl, spears, tent spikes, . . . anything and anything that will stick into an old stump or a bale of hay. We have a throwing range set up in the back yard and an atlatl range in the front yard.

Everyone seems to like to learn throwing, but I rarely encounter anyone who actually does it as a hobby. I am curious whether this is an unusual hobby or relatively common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I threw a dish of non-fat yogurt at my husband a few months ago. I still find remnants of the dried on goo.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Hurts my shoulder and elbow enough that there is no point. I would get no range and need to deal with the insult to the joints. The only throwing activity that ever caught my fancy was skipping stones on a lake. There is something satisfying watch a stone go fast and try to float.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:49 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Throwing things wasn't a hobby with me, it was a compulsion. I was told I would throw things out of my crib at people that walked by. When I was a kid I couldn't walk down the street without picking something up and throwing it. I made money off kids in school that bet me I couldn't throw my pencil point-first into the pencil sharpener from 5 feet away. I once threw my house key into the lock in the door from the same distance, it took a number of attempts but I wouldn't quit until I did it. I have boxes of ribbons and trophies that I won in dart tournaments and other contests in my basement. The bad thing was everyone knew I was a thrower so whenever there was a broken window in the neighborhood, I got blamed. I got banned from a carnival because I kept winning and they ended up hiring me to show people the contests were not impossible to win. One of the hardest shots I ever made was flipping a quarter into the coin slot of a soda machine from a few feet away. That was hard for me because it really wasn't throwing. We used to throw hatchets,knives and even axes into tree stumps, those all involved revolutions and after a while you pretty much knew how many it takes to stick them. We had a bunch of those 4-way lug wrenches we got from the junk yard and would cut the sockets off each end and sharpen the remaining ends on a grinder until they were razor sharp. Those were guaranteed to stick in a tree stump every throw.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I recently picked up a new hobby. Throwing things.

Axes, knives, shovels, atlatl, spears, tent spikes, . . . anything and anything that will stick into an old stump or a bale of hay. We have a throwing range set up in the back yard and an atlatl range in the front yard.

Everyone seems to like to learn throwing, but I rarely encounter anyone who actually does it as a hobby. I am curious whether this is an unusual hobby or relatively common.

I don't know as I'd call it a hobby in and of itself but it's a part of one of my hobbies. I make tomahawks, knives and atlatl sets, and hand spears as well. So I always test them and like to play with them as you describe. Hitting a target with any certain thrown or launched missile is fun. And also fun to devise games for.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't know as I'd call it a hobby in and of itself but it's a part of one of my hobbies. I make tomahawks, knives and atlatl sets, and hand spears as well. So I always test them and like to play with them as you describe. Hitting a target with any certain thrown or launched missile is fun. And also fun to devise games for.
Speaking of atatls, do you know this guy...

Occoquan Paleotechnics

He's very knowledgeable when it comes to primitive technologies.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Throwing things wasn't a hobby with me, it was a compulsion. I was told I would throw things out of my crib at people that walked by. When I was a kid I couldn't walk down the street without picking something up and throwing it. I made money off kids in school that bet me I couldn't throw my pencil point-first into the pencil sharpener from 5 feet away. I once threw my house key into the lock in the door from the same distance, it took a number of attempts but I wouldn't quit until I did it. I have boxes of ribbons and trophies that I won in dart tournaments and other contests in my basement. The bad thing was everyone knew I was a thrower so whenever there was a broken window in the neighborhood, I got blamed. I got banned from a carnival because I kept winning and they ended up hiring me to show people the contests were not impossible to win. One of the hardest shots I ever made was flipping a quarter into the coin slot of a soda machine from a few feet away. That was hard for me because it really wasn't throwing. We used to throw hatchets,knives and even axes into tree stumps, those all involved revolutions and after a while you pretty much knew how many it takes to stick them. We had a bunch of those 4-way lug wrenches we got from the junk yard and would cut the sockets off each end and sharpen the remaining ends on a grinder until they were razor sharp. Those were guaranteed to stick in a tree stump every throw.
This is awesome. I wish you were my neighbor.

You should go on tour and do shows.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Speaking of atatls, do you know this guy...

Occoquan Paleotechnics

He's very knowledgeable when it comes to primitive technologies.
It appears they have nice looking stuff, but expensive. I would never actually throw a dart with an obsidian tip though. I do not buy expensive darts often. They break with some frequency (especially if you hit a tree or a rock by accident). Atlatl is like baseball. Even the people who are really good are doing extremely well if they hit more than 1/3 of the time (at 40 yards).

I met a guy who hunts with Atlatl. He said when you hit a deer, the dart goes through them and pins them to the ground. I think it woudl be pretty hard to hunt with atlatl. It is pretty hard to throw without being noticed.

We have a fun game we play with hay bales and a lot of throwers. (Atlatl Cattle battle). It is complicated and involves some strategy. Problem is you need at least 14 players and a football field or larger area with no people walking through it ever.

Atlatl in particular is addictive. I go out to throw "a few" and end up throwing until my arm is too sore to keep going (which does not take all that long). I never understood the appeal of golf until I got addicted to atlatl. I think it woudl be fun to play atlatl golf. Put a hay bale on each green. The distances are about the same I think. You could even have a caddy. They will give you a 4.5' bamboo dart for the initial drive, a 7' dart to hit the green. Putting would be kind of lame though. If you miss from the green or near it, you are doing pretty bad.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
...Atlatl in particular is addictive. I go out to throw "a few" and end up throwing until my arm is too sore to keep going (which does not take all that long). I never understood the appeal of golf until I got addicted to atlatl. I think it woudl be fun to play atlatl golf. Put a hay bale on each green. The distances are about the same I think. You could even have a caddy. They will give you a 4.5' bamboo dart for the initial drive, a 7' dart to hit the green. Putting would be kind of lame though. If you miss from the green or near it, you are doing pretty bad.
That would actually be quite entertaining.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:03 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Throw a throwing party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation