Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 89,758 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I have a dark brown leather couch and looking to decorate my living room with a modern/contemptory look. I am looking into buying a new TV stand, side table, pillows, and new curtains for the room. I was thinking of getting dark brown leather ottoman with storage. What color TV stand, side table, pillows and curtain would look good with that?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidsoh View Post
Hi -

I have a dark brown leather couch and looking to decorate my living room with a modern/contemptory look. I am looking into buying a new TV stand, side table, pillows, and new curtains for the room. I was thinking of getting dark brown leather ottoman with storage. What color TV stand, side table, pillows and curtain would look good with that?

Thank you.
I’m not sure about the TV stand and side table, but teals and greens look good with dark brown. I think accessories that are a combination of greenish OR teal OR turquoise with cream would look nice with dark brown.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Thank you. I am trying to make sure I don't get the room too dark. I have looked into getting dark brown furniture but I think that might make the room too dark.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
I like the contemporary look of black and glass. Glass will keep the room from feeling too dark and heavy.
Here is an example of a TV stand:
Black Color Contemporary TV Stand With Three Drawers [SNY-AETV-T801 Black] : Sofas and Living room furniture
As for curtains and pillows, just go with what you like (color-wise). I love pale ice blue or teal blues with brown.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
A storage ottoman is always practical, especially in a room where TV is viewed. But it's very hard to match leather types and dye jobs. It might be better to get a fabric storage ottoman that would contrast with your sofa, instead of trying to get a match. Mixing leather and fabric adds texture and interest to a room. It's never a good idea to overdo the leather. If you like your leather couch, make it the star of the room instead of adding other things that look like it.

I agree that blue tones look good with brown, but it's done a lot these days. A fresh pear green would be less expected. Orange tones would be in keeping with the contemporary trend to nod to the the seventies. Keep in mind what you can see of other rooms adjoining the one you're decorating.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM

I think a fabric ottoman is a great suggestion. With fabric my main worry was if I get a beight/white ottoman the fabric getting dirty.. But i am sure they have ways to clean the microfiber fabric.

Thanks for the great idea. I also like the teal blue or having a pear green decorations on the sofa.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
I'm going this route in my own living room.. dark brown leather furniture... But I am not a fan of the contemporary style... so... not sure about the colors... or the effect your looking for.

Dark brown goes with anything! its like a black. (i'm doing cranberry reds, cinnamon colors, etc with mine) -
If you like the contemporary i would stick with silver colored stands... like the one poster stated... the glass and silver to lighten it up.. Choose really contemporary styled lamps to go in there... some contemporary art peices to go on the wall...

Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I'm going this route in my own living room.. dark brown leather furniture... But I am not a fan of the contemporary style... so... not sure about the colors... or the effect your looking for.

Dark brown goes with anything! its like a black. (i'm doing cranberry reds, cinnamon colors, etc with mine) -
If you like the contemporary i would stick with silver colored stands... like the one poster stated... the glass and silver to lighten it up.. Choose really contemporary styled lamps to go in there... some contemporary art peices to go on the wall...
Maybe you're right. I have dark brown modern furniture in my bedroom and the walls are cream. I decided to do neutral and pink for the bedroom. I definitely could not do warm colors, though. I need cooler colors in my environment to keep my mood steady because I'm a fire sign.

For me a big brown couch and then a bunch of warmly-toned stuff in the same room would be overpowering. But it could also be comfortable and "cosey" depending on personal preference.

I also have another idea, if it's not too boring and fits with the OP's likes: how about "neutrals?"

I have dark brown furniture from West Elm (TM lol) in my bedroom. The walls are a paler cream, and I have a cream/tan rug and a cream/tan silk in big checks for the cushions and curtains. I also have a couple of barfy pink "accents" (aka my Hello Kitty Angel phone). The bed normally has white linens and the "neutrals" I picked are on the slightly cooler side of neutral, so the tans are more 'stone' than 'earth' colored.

I always have a good night's sleep in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating