Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,597 times

Advertisements

LOVE the 1796 bacon-y cabinet, what a fun bit of history! How amazing that it still has most of the original paint! I'm giggling at how my cat would react if I had a piece of furniture that smelled like bacon, though.

You've got a terrific eye for balance and scale. =) Clustering objects is something I struggle with sometimes.

The mirrored buffet is gorgeous, but I will admit that I spent a lot of time keeping it clean and polished, especially since my cat decided it's a great place to sit and watch the world. It's a really fun piece, though. I love the look of mirrored furniture and would love to have a few more pieces, but now that I know how much work it can be to keep them looking great, I'm not sure if I'm willing to make the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
My style can best be summed up by the house in the movie, " Something's Gotta Give". Beachy, casual, elegant, comfortable.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Heres another pic of the mirrored buffet, from my old house. It was in the foyer then, and I used it as my bar cabinet. You can see the lines better, since there isn't a table in front of it.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Beachy, casual, elegant, comfortable.
That sounds wonderful. What I'm attempting might be impossible, but I'm trying for colorful, beachy, casual and comfortable (elegant not so much) with a bit of modern and primitive! LOL! Works for me, almost. Always looking for ideas here.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Heres another pic of the mirrored buffet, from my old house. It was in the foyer then, and I used it as my bar cabinet. You can see the lines better, since there isn't a table in front of it.
I am so jealous of this piece! I wish I had a place for something like this!

Actually, I could put one or two mirrored nightstands in the master...hmmmm....

Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I have several mirrored pieces I got from Overstock and Target. Check them out-- great prices. LOVE THEM. My "steal" was a 6 foot high mirrored lingerie chest that I found at a TJ Maxx for $189 in perfect condition except that one of drawer pulls was loose. I replaced the hardware and it is truly magnificent!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,138 times
I love the idea of a fuchsia wall! That would probably make me smile in the morning, too.

When I design, I like to keep the significant elements (wall color, furniture, etc.) in a simplified, modern color palette and design; to keep things fun and lively, I like to accessorize with bright or funky paintings, stools, vases, etc. Anything that is simple to add or remove into a room. I like to change the look often (I can get tired of a look easily) so with accessories it's fun and easy!

Plus if I ever want just a very sleek and simple office, I have all the furniture and wall colors ready.

I love hearing about all of your places!!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
I'm not sure that I have a set style. Hard for me to say.

It's easier for me to say things like, "I don't like country" or "I don't like super modern."

I like simple. And there are a lot of things I like that I might not even put in my own home.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

They have some at Pier 1.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
My problem is I like too many styles and often have trouble putting it all together. I tend to pick up items that make me feel good with less thought to how it will look once I get it home. It eventually falls in place, but what a headache I give myself.

For the most part, I buy vintage, some antiques, and good used quality items. I'm a sucker for unsigned paintings and water colors at second-hand stores [poor mans art].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating