Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 AM

270 posts, read 593,329 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a new house right now. It's a Move in Ready one with already finished kitchen. But we did not like the appliances and after my husband told them that the kitchen is priority #1, plus we want a professional standard, the builder promised to upgrade to their "top of the line" stuff.

Problem is, I'm not familiar at all with the brand they use and the online reviews were mediocre if even. It's GE.

Before, we were thinking about getting Viking or Wolff appliances, Bosch dishwasher and maybe a Subzero fridge.

What are your opinions on GE? And should we just get the basic appliances, sell them and buy the stuff we want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default My opinion, experience

1. GE has a wide range of appliances. You should look at GE Monogram Professional Appliances

2. I love Sub-Zero. Had one for 24 years until we sold the house. Built in. Inexpensive to repair. Well built.

3. I love Bosch dishwashers. Have owned 3. Only consider those that have a list price of over $1K. That will get you the quiet operation you desire. I think the ones for $2K are over priced. My only negative experience with Bosch was with the lowest price one that the builder installed. Somewhat noisy. Gave it to our daughter for her condo and bought a replacement.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
are you not familiar at all with the brand/company GE?? Or are you simply saying you have never owned GE kitchen appliances?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Rather than go with the top-of-the-line Sub-zero or Viking, which cost a fortune, I would suggest going with the brands that have good reliability but are still affordable, Samsung and LG. We have been replacing all of ours, laundry and litchen and have found both of these brands to be really good compared to the usual GE, Whirlpool, and Kenmore junk.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
I can't say GE is like this everywhere but I refuse to put their crap in any of my houses. The biggest issue is warranty....or lack of. If an appliance has an issue it can take up to 90 days just for them to look at it. It may be another 90 days before they do anything with it, if they do anything at all which is most likely. Their warranty sucks at best and they have no clue about customer service. That's the way it is here, don't know about where you are. FWIW, their dishwashers, regardless of model or cost, are some of the worst designed machines in the world. They don't clean and won't bring water temp up to 140F to sanitize dishes. Its been a GE issue for years. If all your builder offers is GE, how about no appliances and you buy them to be installed before closing.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
are you not familiar at all with the brand/company GE?? Or are you simply saying you have never owned GE kitchen appliances?
I've never heard of GE at all before yesterday. BUT! I'm in/from Germany, so I'm used to Miele, Gaggenau, Bosch, Liebherr, etc.

We're moving to Texas and did some research. The builder we considered in the beginning (Tollbrothers) offered Wolff and Sub Zero for their professional chef's kitchen. And after reading many Kitchen remodeling magazines, we came to the conclusion that if we want the best, we'd have to buy them.

Getting no appliances at all is another good idea. So we don't have to deal with selling the other stuff. We are a little hard to please when it comes to the kitchen, cause I cook daily and very well. So I need a convection oven, build in steamer, very good stove top and huuuuuge fridge.

Your advises are very welcome! Thanks!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM

41,973 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I don't find GE appliances offensive in the least, but if you're that fussy, tell the builder to skip the appliances and buy your own. I would hope you'd get some sort of a credit.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't find GE appliances offensive in the least, but if you're that fussy, tell the builder to skip the appliances and buy your own. I would hope you'd get some sort of a credit.

me either, actually who would get offended by an appliance. seriously???

If the flame works, whats the problem?
and if my cake rises, them I'm good.

PS; I'm still a lousy cook anyway, so if it were "GE" or "Sub Whatever" "Viking", my food still sucks, and reservations are always a better alternative.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
me either, actually who would get offended by an appliance. seriously???

If the flame works, whats the problem?
and if my cake rises, them I'm good.

PS; I'm still a lousy cook anyway, so if it were "GE" or "Sub Whatever" "Viking", my food still sucks, and reservations are always a better alternative.

See...and I am different. That's why I was asking here and think I got some qualified answers. I wouldn't post in a car forum to tell them that I don't care about cars and my rusty bike is fine enough for me.

I'm a very good cook, so high end appliances matter to me.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
I wouldn't post in a car forum to tell them that I don't care about cars and my rusty bike is fine enough for me.

I'm a very good cook, so high end appliances matter to me.
I know many very good cooks who have never cared about high end appliances... myself included.

Sounds like you need to pass on the appliances and buy what suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating