Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymom View Post
1,350!

Did you pay a professional? I looks amazing, better than mine but ours is also a two car garage and a mudroom; we spent around $200 and did all work ourselves.
Professional. Given the time I would have done it, but we were at the end of a cross-country move and a remodel. At the same time we were taking bids for the next remodelling project. There was simply no time to do it. We also had cleaners come in and clean the garage.

The installers used a floor buffer to clean the concrete and repaired some damage from a water softener that leaked before we bought the house. There were a few areas with chipping, etc and they fixed all those as well.

Of interest: The installer told us to recoat, or have them recoat, the surface with the clear protectant every two to three years. Doing so will extend the life of the epoxy coating indefinitely. Not recoating will cause the epoxy to have problems when it becomes exposed. Mostly due to parking on it. I already have a note in my calendar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
This morning I pulled the tape off to reveal the BEAUTIFUL trim only to see that it looks like crap! The blue paint got under the tape and now I am going to have to touch up the white (actually Ice Cube) paint of the walls. I am SOOOOO upset!

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THIS HARD!!!!

Cat

Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Professional. Given the time I would have done it, but we were at the end of a cross-country move and a remodel. At the same time we were taking bids for the next remodelling project. There was simply no time to do it. We also had cleaners come in and clean the garage.

The installers used a floor buffer to clean the concrete and repaired some damage from a water softener that leaked before we bought the house. There were a few areas with chipping, etc and they fixed all those as well.

Of interest: The installer told us to recoat, or have them recoat, the surface with the clear protectant every two to three years. Doing so will extend the life of the epoxy coating indefinitely. Not recoating will cause the epoxy to have problems when it becomes exposed. Mostly due to parking on it. I already have a note in my calendar.
How long did it take for them to complete this project? I've thought about doing this as well, but I have a lot of crap (toolbox, workbench, lawn stuff, etc.) in my garage that I would have no where to put it except inside the house.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
This morning I pulled the tape off to reveal the BEAUTIFUL trim only to see that it looks like crap! The blue paint got under the tape and now I am going to have to touch up the white (actually Ice Cube) paint of the walls. I am SOOOOO upset!

Cat
I hate painting trim so much. It's always harder than it should be.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
How long did it take for them to complete this project? I've thought about doing this as well, but I have a lot of crap (toolbox, workbench, lawn stuff, etc.) in my garage that I would have no where to put it except inside the house.
Four days. Five if you need to clean it. That may not be necessary depending on the condition of your garage. Ours was filthy because the previous owners didn't maintain or clean anything.

One to clean and fix the concrete then put down the epoxy.

One for that to dry.

One for the over coat.

One for that to dry. Move stuff back in on the fifth day. We had a lot of stuff in the house for a few days!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Starting some new projects.

New chairs for the kitchen table, which is about 30 years old. I repainted the legs last summer and we've been using folding chairs since. Found some at a local store and need to do a little research online about one of them as the info in the catalog was sparse.

Bought a tabletop and legs at Ikea today. I need to cut down the length from 72" to 62", but that's a piece of cake. This is for the "dungeon", which is the office next to the kitchen. Also buying a three drawer 30" lateral file and matching file cabinet that has one deep drawer at the bottom and two shallow ones on top. Shelving/cabinets for over the table, and some shelving for the other end of the room on both sides of a window.

Looking at sleeper sofas and their ilk for the guest bedroom. Found some at Ikea, but none are easy to sit on. I'm still pushing for a sofa sleeper so it's a good use for sitting and sleeping. Also trying to find a low storage unit to put a TV on for that room. All the while leaving space for her sewing machine.

And I'm trying to talk her into a new laptop for her office and get rid of the old desktop in there.

No idle time around here!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
That tape only works in TV commercials. Next time you try that buy one of those rollers they use to press laminate down after gluing. Big box stores carry them. Use it to press the tape to the wall. Sometimes it works quite well.

Edit: The one I have doesn't show up on Lowes or HD sites. It cost about $5.00 and the ones they have now are over $30.00.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 AM

154 posts, read 259,925 times
I need to repainted the master bedroom trim which is what can only be described as doody color. I am a bit concerned as I have carpet in the so that's a disaster waiting to happen

Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
We're getting a bid for remodeling our master bath. Hope to start on that in a few weeks! Or right away - just don't want it torn up over the holidays.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're getting a bid for remodeling our master bath. Hope to start on that in a few weeks! Or right away - just don't want it torn up over the holidays.
That's exciting.

I am getting a bid for redoing my kitchen cabinets. I was an idiot and didn't redo them when I remodeled my kitchen because I thought what I had would work. No, it looks really, really dated. So I am getting new fronts and having the rest restained. Also having hidden hinges put in. Now I get the pleasure of taking everything out of them again! I need a break though so I will not be starting anything until the spring. I just want to get an estimate now of how much it will cost me.

Also had the interior designer come and am looking at new drapes for a couple of rooms and new light fixtures for my sun room/atrium. The lights that are in there now are outdoor light fixtures from before it was enclosed. When the cabinets are done, I will also have some built in bookshelves refinished. I am banishing all the golden oak from my house!

The backyard is finished and looks great. I just need to figure out how to post pictures. Still waiting on some cabinets and slat walls for the garage. Once they come in it will be done.

I had the same coating Tek_Freek used installed on my garage floor (mine's beige not grey though) and am very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating