Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 06:19 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
So, I am pretty good at visualization but not always and yours is an example of one of those times. Can you explain a little bit for for me. I am getting a headache trying to figure this one out. Go gently as you have made me think harder than I am sure is necessary. I am trying to visualize a commode on top of a cat box. I am assuming a human commode too.

I'm talking about a commode like this:

This one is obvious that we couldn't be a catbox inside. But some have two doors instead of one and no drawers on the other side.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
A "French commode"-

The French ones were almost always black (they were made from a certain wood that was very dark- almost like ebony; and a marble top.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_3137.jpg  

Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
An "English/American" commode-
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-img_3136.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are in process of deciding on a new kitchen floor. I am unhappy with our decision to use sheet vinyl. But I don’t have much of a choice. At any rate, I am not thrilled with what I am seeing. We’ll see what I choose.

We’ve ruled out tile, laminate, wood, vinyl planks. So, sheet vinyl is the only choice.

But I have known since the day I moved in over 5 years ago that we would have to replace the floor.
Why have you ruled out the other options?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
We are in process of deciding on a new kitchen floor. I am unhappy with our decision to use sheet vinyl. But I don’t have much of a choice. At any rate, I am not thrilled with what I am seeing. We’ll see what I choose.

We’ve ruled out tile, laminate, wood, vinyl planks. So, sheet vinyl is the only choice.

But I have known since the day I moved in over 5 years ago that we would have to replace the floor.
Why'd you decide to rule out vinyl planks?

We're working on our basement now. It was totally unfinished and it's been a slow process, but we're making progress. My husband did all the framing and electrical. We hired someone to do the drywall. Then we painted it ourselves and we've done all the lighting and the floor/doors/trim ourselves.

We went with vinyl plank floors and I really like them so far. I think they'll look even better once we get the trim on and add some color to the space. Right now it's very gray, but we have a lot of color that we're adding in through the furniture and art. We have a blue velvet sofa, for example. I can't wait to get to the point that we can bring the furniture in.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see the progress there are pictures in this album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/012qCjM4tOEKGUE22

Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Why'd you decide to rule out vinyl planks?

We're working on our basement now. It was totally unfinished and it's been a slow process, but we're making progress. My husband did all the framing and electrical. We hired someone to do the drywall. Then we painted it ourselves and we've done all the lighting and the floor/doors/trim ourselves.

We went with vinyl plank floors and I really like them so far. I think they'll look even better once we get the trim on and add some color to the space. Right now it's very gray, but we have a lot of color that we're adding in through the furniture and art. We have a blue velvet sofa, for example. I can't wait to get to the point that we can bring the furniture in.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see the progress there are pictures in this album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/012qCjM4tOEKGUE22
It's getting there!!! Very, very nice!

Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
It's getting there!!! Very, very nice!
Thanks! What you can't tell from those pictures is how incredibly dusty everything is (including the rest of the house). I am so happy to be mostly done with the extremely dusty stuff like drywall and grinding the floor so it's level.

I really cannot wait to be done. My daughter's toys have taken over our family room, along with a pinball machine we bought for the basement. I dream of the day my family room will be a nice space again.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Thanks! What you can't tell from those pictures is how incredibly dusty everything is (including the rest of the house). I am so happy to be mostly done with the extremely dusty stuff like drywall and grinding the floor so it's level.

I really cannot wait to be done. My daughter's toys have taken over our family room, along with a pinball machine we bought for the basement. I dream of the day my family room will be a nice space again.
Yeah, the construction dust is a PITA. You're almost done! Definitely let us know so we can see pictures of the finished spaces.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How come you had to rule out everything else?
Tile. Too hard on my feet and too costly

Wood. Too costly and we would have a hard time matching adjoining hardwoods. And DH is opposed to wood, besides.

Vinyl plank. All of these are fake woood grains. We have real hardwoods adjoining the flloor so the vinyl would look super fake next to the real stuff.

Laminate. Almost all of it is wood grained. See above. What is not wood grained looks awful, IMO.

We brought home samples, but I don’t like them. I don’t know how I am going to make this decision. I found an all over commercial pattern that I do like. It is not fake stone or tile. But with seams I don’t know if it woukd look OK. We’ll know more after we get measurements.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Tile. Too hard on my feet and too costly

Wood. Too costly and we would have a hard time matching adjoining hardwoods. And DH is opposed to wood, besides.

Vinyl plank. All of these are fake woood grains. We have real hardwoods adjoining the flloor so the vinyl would look super fake next to the real stuff.

Laminate. Almost all of it is wood grained. See above. What is not wood grained looks awful, IMO.

We brought home samples, but I don’t like them. I don’t know how I am going to make this decision. I found an all over commercial pattern that I do like. It is not fake stone or tile. But with seams I don’t know if it woukd look OK. We’ll know more after we get measurements.

How about the groutable vinyl tile? My stepdaughter used one in her bathroom and it came out really nice.

Something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/STAINMASTER...ile/1000213263

You can get a tile look without the hardness of tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating