Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 08:30 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
When Lowe's re-did our bathroom, I wanted to just put a shower in. I was discouraged from this since there is only one regular sized bathroom here and for future sale purposes, a tub is apparently a good idea...particularly for people with kids. I was also discouraged from putting doors on the shower/tub for the same reason....Mom bending over and around doors to bathe kids. That was fine, too because we put that curved shower rod up and that gave a good bit of space.
If you are not going to sell, and can make your shower big enough for a stool or seat of some kind for when you and hubs are older and could 'sit' in the shower, then I say go for it. You could even build the seat into the shower wall, if hubs has skills.

Good luck!
I agree about shower doors. I don’t mind a curtain. Glass is a big pane, haha. We have a regular tub in the guest bathroom, so a family wouldn’t need a tub in our bathroom. The small shower we have is not big enough for a seat, but a foot or two would make a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 09:34 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I notice you are in Florida...as am I. Apparently they don't put gutters on new construction! Who knew?!?

Anyway, do you mind sharing the cost of your gutters? And how much you had to install? We will have to do that soon.

Thank you!
Sure.

Total cost was $1875. Our house has over 200 feet of linear gutters, plus downspouts for a 2 story house, and labor.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:35 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I just had a bunch of tile installed and today a guy is coming by to put in the baseboards.

Last week I noticed the window (double pane) over my kitchen sink has a "T" shaped crack running the entire width and down to the bottom so that's my first January 2021 project.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:53 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
A list of all the things that need to be done in each room.
Also trying to decide if we should take a chunk of money and do some bigger things like replace appliances or re-do the finish on the kitchen cabinets. And there's a lot of cosmetic stuff that needs repair in the basement, IMO, which all need to be done if we are going to consider selling this house.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Out of curiosity, because if we stay in this house, I would like to re-do the cabinets, did you consider refinishing & repainting existing cabinetry or was that like way too much work (which it seems to be).
I have 17 (!!) cabinet doors in this kitchen...standard oak-looking, not expensive (that I know of). If I took the doors off, it seems easy enough to refinish the 'frame' (if that's the right word). The doors will be the bigger job.
17 ain't nothin'! We have 33 cabinet doors + 9 drawer fronts, and we re-did ours a few years ago. Yeah, it was a big job, and time consuming, but they turned out great.

We used Insl-x Cabinet Coat which we had tinted to an antique white. This product was the absolute key to our success. Lays down beautifully with no brush strokes. I have even used it (just the plain white) to freshen up trim work around the house, and I plan to use it to re-paint our bathroom vanity cabinet that is sorely in need.

We removed all cabinet doors and drawer fronts and the hinges/hardware, of course. Then cleaned, repaired (small dents and dings with wood filler), and did a light-to-medium sanding job on everything. DH did the frames, keeping a shop vac handy to pick up the sanding dust. We did not empty out our cabinets; just pushed items out of the way as much as possible and taped some plastic up inside the frames to block the dust.

For the doors/drawer fronts, we set up shop under a pop-up canopy out in our driveway (we're in California and did this during the summer, so long days with no rain). Because we had so much painting to do and it was taking forever using brushes and rollers (needed a primer coat + 2 finish coats to get it right), we ended up using a sprayer to finish the job. Brushes and rollers worked well, though, because this paint product is awesome. Spraying just became a matter of saving time.

We set up a "spray station" out in our back yard under a canopy, away from the house and everything due to overspray. There was a lot of wasted paint using the sprayer, which we expected, but it did make the job go very quickly. The hardest part was finding places to set each piece to dry because we had so many. I think we used every available surface in the garage and under any sort of cover on our patio. If I were to tackle this huge job again, I'd try to plan out how to do the doors & drawer fronts in logical batches.

The only thing we could've done better was some extra caulking around the interior panels on our cabinets. A few of them have small "dots" where air bubbles developed in those seams (they aren't noticeable until you're looking for them, but still...).

I don't remember all the details, but I believe I posted about this project somewhere here on C-D when things were still fresh in memory. And I know others have posted about this Insl-x product, so you can do a search for that if you're interested. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2020, 05:58 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
17 ain't nothin'! We have 33 cabinet doors + 9 drawer fronts, and we re-did ours a few years ago. Yeah, it was a big job, and time consuming, but they turned out great.

We used Insl-x Cabinet Coat which we had tinted to an antique white. This product was the absolute key to our success. Lays down beautifully with no brush strokes. I have even used it (just the plain white) to freshen up trim work around the house, and I plan to use it to re-paint our bathroom vanity cabinet that is sorely in need.

We removed all cabinet doors and drawer fronts and the hinges/hardware, of course. Then cleaned, repaired (small dents and dings with wood filler), and did a light-to-medium sanding job on everything. DH did the frames, keeping a shop vac handy to pick up the sanding dust. We did not empty out our cabinets; just pushed items out of the way as much as possible and taped some plastic up inside the frames to block the dust.

For the doors/drawer fronts, we set up shop under a pop-up canopy out in our driveway (we're in California and did this during the summer, so long days with no rain). Because we had so much painting to do and it was taking forever using brushes and rollers (needed a primer coat + 2 finish coats to get it right), we ended up using a sprayer to finish the job. Brushes and rollers worked well, though, because this paint product is awesome. Spraying just became a matter of saving time.

We set up a "spray station" out in our back yard under a canopy, away from the house and everything due to overspray. There was a lot of wasted paint using the sprayer, which we expected, but it did make the job go very quickly. The hardest part was finding places to set each piece to dry because we had so many. I think we used every available surface in the garage and under any sort of cover on our patio. If I were to tackle this huge job again, I'd try to plan out how to do the doors & drawer fronts in logical batches.

The only thing we could've done better was some extra caulking around the interior panels on our cabinets. A few of them have small "dots" where air bubbles developed in those seams (they aren't noticeable until you're looking for them, but still...).

I don't remember all the details, but I believe I posted about this project somewhere here on C-D when things were still fresh in memory. And I know others have posted about this Insl-x product, so you can do a search for that if you're interested. Good luck!
Wow!! thank you so much for sharing how you handled this project!! It gives me hope that I can actually do it. On second count, I actually have 26 doors. I will look for the Insl-x Cabinet Coat. Did you get it at one of the big stores?

Also really appreciate the tip to place plastic inside the frames and keep the dishes where they are and to do some caulking. I will look at that. Our home is small, so finding space to stack stuff is a chalenge.

I also assumed, as you describe doing, that I would have to come up with a plan to almost assembly-line this job. We live in VT but if it takes that much paint (primer + 2) I might have to rent or purchase a canopy to do the painting and then dry in the garage, or a covered overhang in back of the house. We had a fantastically warm, dry summer last year but that's never guaranteed, and I know painting can be very weather sensitive and will try to plan for a long dry stretch.

Thank you again for sharing all this great info with me!

Old 12-28-2020, 06:24 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Sure.

Total cost was $1875. Our house has over 200 feet of linear gutters, plus downspouts for a 2 story house, and labor.
Thank you!

I'm thinking we really only need gutters in the front and back, so about 100 LF plus downspouts. Thanks to you I have a rough idea of the cost.

Today we have a fence contractor coming out for an estimate. I only need fencing across the front sides of the house (all my neighbors already have fencing). The guy on the left has white vinyl. The couple in the back has beige vinyl, and the guy on the right has wood. We're going with black chain link! LOL. Apparently wood is in short supply right now and they don't think they can get all the necessary supply for 3-4 weeks. I can't wait that long. Our beloved dog passed in March and I have been waiting to adopt a dog (or two) since July. We waited because we knew we were moving and didn't want a dog to get used to one situation and then have to adapt again. We've been in our house a month and I'm at the point where I NEED a dog!!! So, whatever fence I can get up fastest is what I'm going with. Approximately 20 ft and a gate on each side of the house.

Some small stuff accomplished over the long holiday weekend. Hubby is working on the cedar lining of the small linen closet. I ordered shelving supplies for the master bath linen area.

Baby steps...

Old 12-29-2020, 07:29 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Thank you!

I'm thinking we really only need gutters in the front and back, so about 100 LF plus downspouts. Thanks to you I have a rough idea of the cost.

Today we have a fence contractor coming out for an estimate. I only need fencing across the front sides of the house (all my neighbors already have fencing). The guy on the left has white vinyl. The couple in the back has beige vinyl, and the guy on the right has wood. We're going with black chain link! LOL. Apparently wood is in short supply right now and they don't think they can get all the necessary supply for 3-4 weeks. I can't wait that long. Our beloved dog passed in March and I have been waiting to adopt a dog (or two) since July. We waited because we knew we were moving and didn't want a dog to get used to one situation and then have to adapt again. We've been in our house a month and I'm at the point where I NEED a dog!!! So, whatever fence I can get up fastest is what I'm going with. Approximately 20 ft and a gate on each side of the house.

Some small stuff accomplished over the long holiday weekend. Hubby is working on the cedar lining of the small linen closet. I ordered shelving supplies for the master bath linen area.

Baby steps...
I couldn’t stand that mish mosh of fencing. It sounds very unattractive.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I couldn’t stand that mish mosh of fencing. It sounds very unattractive.
I'm not a big fan of that either. The lot where my house was built had been empty - overgrown with bushes and trees. None of the neighbors ever really saw the others' fence. I will say that at least they are all in great condition. The neighbor behind just replaced their fence during construction of our house. The wood fence on the south side is new (the owner has only been in that house for a year or so) and the white vinyl on the north side needs cleaned, but is in good condition.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:06 AM

417 posts, read 456,058 times
When we remodeled in our last house, we had a similar step to the jacuzzi. If you do keep a tub, I think the newer codes do not permit the steps. Just thought I would mention that to anyone following along.

I have a similar tub ( without steps) in our new house under 2 windows that face the front of the house. I would love to just rip out the tub and make it a big big shower but those darn windows! We do have a stall shower at the other end of the room but it's really cramped. (we have another full bath - a guest bath - that has a regular tub so we would still have one)
Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating