Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:09 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times

Advertisements

Oh, just one more question. Are there any particular times of the year when stores selling good down/wool comforters may have them on sale? Or do high-quality, natural fiber comforters never go on sale?

I thought that summer might be a good time to catch a good comforter on sale. After all, in the cold season everyone will be looking for them; but I didn't see any significant sale anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I thought that moths might be problem during storage. But would they come even during use, when they lie on the bed? ???

OK, I read up a bit in a hurry and maybe I understood incorrectly, but it seems that opting for down is not a guarantee against moths or other bugs, though it does sound like they may like wool more.

I plan on keeping the wool comforter on the bed almost year round, except during the hot summer months when hopefully good brief storage would take care of the problem.

We have wool clothes but we never found any holes in them and without any special considerations given to storage.

It's good to be aware though.
I know they can strike things that aren't in storage since they can go after wool carpeting. Just be vigilant. If you see one hole in any of your wool clothes or the blanket, bomb your house. That way you can prevent further damage and stop it from spreading to other items.

Quote:
Oh, just one more question. Are there any particular times of the year when stores selling good down/wool comforters may have them on sale? Or do high-quality, natural fiber comforters never go on sale?

I thought that summer might be a good time to catch a good comforter on sale. After all, in the cold season everyone will be looking for them; but I didn't see any significant sale anywhere.
January is white sale month. That's when you get the best deals on bedding, towels, linens, etc..

Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know they can strike things that aren't in storage since they can go after wool carpeting. Just be vigilant. If you see one hole in any of your wool clothes or the blanket, bomb your house. That way you can prevent further damage and stop it from spreading to other items.

January is white sale month. That's when you get the best deals on bedding, towels, linens, etc..
Thank you, Hopes! :-) I was kind of looking forward to cool weather and a new soft comforter. I probably should have thought about it this past January....but maybe it will be worth the wait. :-)

Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
When it comes to down don't be cheap! It's investment if you take care of it it last many, many years...You'll need put a Duvet cover to protect it ! I've own two from Three Dog Downs, Queen & King the queen over 20 years old still in brand new condition and my son has it, so when we bought a king bed 6 years ago we purchased a new one from the same company! There super friendly will walk you through on what you really need and teach you the end and outs on down... Shop At Three Dog Down
Wildcard,

If you're still around, do you happen to know whether Three Dog Down ever has any sales on their goose down comforters?

I looked more closely and they do sound like they offer quality. The fact that they are not trying to pass the luxuriousness of the comforter based on the cotton cover - inspires trust.

At the same time, what they have does go for significantly more than what I would like to pay even for a nice comforter.

If I knew they had sales in January, I would wait until then for one of theirs.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Zimbo - they look great. I will definitely consider this because I grew up with wool, never down.

The weird thing is that I touched a few pillows and comforters that were a combination of feathers and down - and if the feathers were guaranteed not to feel hard and poke through the fabric, I actually love the extra weight that feathers give.
It looks like there must be a ton of down in a comforter to get the weight that I love - otherwise, it feels too...well...kind of light and non-existent around me (be it warm), which I actually don't like that much.

So maybe wool might be the right choice for us - as I heard it is weightier than down.

In the meantime, I ordered this from Overstock for one of my children's room.

Australian Wool-filled Sateen 233-thread Count Cotton Comforter | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Prices on Down Alternative Comforters

I read great reviews online, including a pick from Good Housekeeping who said it's the next best "soft" after a down comforter; so I guess I will have a chance to see how wool feels like and then we'll take it from there.

I wonder if anyone here had a chance to try this product.
Just a little follow up on the above, for those interested.
Again and again, the old dictum "you get what you pay for" rears it's ugly or pretty head, depending on where you stand.

It arrived and it's going back fast. It feels scratchy, even a bit itchy and rough, and it probably would feel the same even through a duvet cover. I didn't even try to put one on, it's clearly not the feeling I was going for.

So down it is for everyone.

Even the lower quality down/feather combo I tried at ikea and target feels way better than this wool.

Going by reviews apparently doesn't work. Based on what everyone was writing, this wool comforter was supposed to walk on water. It's not.
Oh well. Research sometimes has return shipping costs.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
You are probably right.
I think I need to establish a list of top 5 nice options and when one has a sale, just pull the trigger, get it, and have it out my system. I have had in the system for over 4 years now and I was never quite able to take the leap. Kept waiting for that awesome bargain and then, for a while, I quit looking.

I saw the ones at BB&B and honestly, they feel disappointing. Very uneven distribution, many completely empty spots - definitely not something I would want to sink several hundred dollars in.
Never mind that I became really suspicious of them after trying their highest end down pillows on store display and then comparing it with the actual pillows for sale. It was Grand Horizon and Palais Royale.
The difference in fill between the display product and the corresponding items for sale was outrageous. The display item was much, much fuller and hefty whereas those they sold were very flat and flimsy. So BB@B is out, even with the 20% coupon.

Yes, I read about the LL Bean - some great reviews online, and this is the one I had in mind when I said you must pay 300+ for a good one (in king, which is what we need). The LL Bean is about 400 in King - so ouchy. I saw many at 800+ - all the way to "obscene"(including some examples here, on this thread)... and I am sure they are fantastic, but 400$ for a cover still feels ouchy to me.

My husband, who could not care less about bedding and who seems to be sleeping blissfully even on a rock with polyester covers (the height of horror to me), would probably not be 100% enchanted with the expense. But he'd probably tolerate it. :-)

By the way, people say it is "noisy". Would you confirm?

I also looked at the Company Store too but I have read too many reviews saying their products have taken a dive in quality lately. I understood they used to carry very nice products but not so much anymore.
The cover is down proof, and I think it is the coating that makes it so, and the coating is probably what causes the sort of crunchy sound. I don't even notice this any more. If you go LL Bean, you will probably want to buy one of their duvets as well. Bean's comforters are sized a bit oddly, although perhaps the King is more in line with other manufacturers.

We bought new pillows at BB&B with success. I bought the down that is very soft, and DH chose the down pillow that had more support. He is OK with his new pillow, but I love mine. I never understood why anyone would fluff pillows, but now I know. You can smash them almost flat, and then fluff them and they puff up wonderfully. And I've washed the pillow cover a couple of times, and they have come out of the wash very well.

Last winter, we couldn't decide what to get ourselves for Christmas, and I suggested we revamp our bedding. We both are quite happy with our down. But it took me 40 years to get it.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
We bought wool comforters, still have one, and loved them. We recently got some good wool blankets, Woolrich, from Sierra Trading Post online for a great price. They carry some higher end (better than discount stores) items, sometimes overstock and other times seconds but great value. Once you sign up for their deals, you can easily save 30% off the prices they show. We had down comforters but the wool were SO much better. It pays to not buy something cheap because the down will separate. Although you were not supposed to wash the wool comforters, I did it anyway being very careful. Dry clean only means nothing to me except a great deal!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
spend the money.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
spend the money.
And go to stores where you can see and feel what you're buying.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
spend the money.
How much for a king - would you say is "money"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating