Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM

32 posts, read 36,558 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have read a million different "wood trim or not" posts and still cannot decide what to do with all the wood in my house.

Looking for some suggestions on whether to paint it white or not - I posted a couple of pics here.

Also, at what point would you consider replacing trimwork rather than painting or staining?

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
paint wood trim?-house1.jpg   paint wood trim?-house2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
We've been painting our home for the past few months (weekend warrior). Our house is 17 years old and needed some refreshing. First we had the ceilings all painted bright white (flat). That made a huge difference in itself. Once we had that done, we could easily tell that we had no choice but to repaint the dingy white trim with a fresh coat. That too made a massive difference. Then we painted the walls.

I can tell you without question, the painting of the trim in our house has been a tremendous help in reversing the effective age of the home. We're using ultra white semi-gloss paint. Really makes a huge difference.

Mix in some Floetrol into the paint, and the finish will be perfect (no brush marks).

Here are a few photos to show the difference it can make. The one of the corner with the shutters, look closely at the crown molding heading from left into the corner and you can see where I was in the process when I took the photo. The door, look at the bay window above against the door trim below. The photo with the furniture, is the room when I was done with it. Baseboards, window trim, crown, all the same bright white semi-gloss. Wall is called "on the rocks", a light grey.

I'm waiting on the warmer weather, then all of the shutters are coming down and getting sprayed with the same bright white paint. Doors too.

I personally love ultra bright white trim. I think it lifts the mood of a home, brightens up the lighting, and really gives a nice "finished" look. But that might just be me...

I'm using builders-grade paint from Sherwin Williams. Duran paint, 2-gallons at a time, and last a long time. Each gets two coats. It's not the Ralph Lauren of paint brands, but it sure seems to hold up to two active little kids and their dirty friends. Easy to wipe clean, doesn't seem to fade or oxidize, and looks great!
Attached Thumbnails
paint wood trim?-img_5480.jpg   paint wood trim?-img_5270.jpg   paint wood trim?-img_5271.jpg   paint wood trim?-img_5868.jpg  

Old 03-27-2017, 01:46 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Looking at your pictures again, I agree with your friends, paint it bright white! With those white window inserts, it would take your bay window from a "hiding place" to "look at me". Would be beautiful, in my opinion!

I'd only replace it if it were rotten or overly damaged. I can't tell if the existing paint is oil based or not though. Might want to check on that first. Painting over oil-based is no picnic, is my understanding, and might need to be stripped first.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
NO! DON'T PAINT IT! My husband & I love stained wood. Unfortunately, all the trim in our house was painted. We thought about stripping it but man, it was just too much in the way of work & expensive so we painted it a dark brown (French Roast is the color name) to make it look like wood.

It just seems like a tragedy to paint wood trim.

Cat

Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

32 posts, read 36,558 times
Thanks ! Yes , I keep thinking that too ..just the thought of all that work and I am lazy ..

Your house looks lovely and it does make SUCH a difference. Thank you for all the pointers ..this is going to be my project for the next year

Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
We use Sherwin Williams Pure White (7005) in Semi Gloss on the trim, and could not be happier.

Want a really great look?........ Paint the trim Pure White and then paint the doors a darker color to contrast with the walls. We use Latte (6108) on the walls and Tavern Taupe (7508 in Satin finish) on the doors. Take the doors off and remove all the hardware so you can do a good job and it makes the knobs and hinges POP!

Google up "Contrasting interior doors" and you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I would definitely paint it. ASAP

Trust me, there is NO CRIME in painting over the wood trim in houses from the 80s/90s. It's not like we're talking about an antebellum foyer or handmade coffered ceiling.

Paint it, and be amazed at how new and up to date your home looks.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasv View Post
Hi,
I have read a million different "wood trim or not" posts and still cannot decide what to do with all the wood in my house.

Looking for some suggestions on whether to paint it white or not - I posted a couple of pics here.

Also, at what point would you consider replacing trimwork rather than painting or staining?

Thanks for any input.
How many different wood types make up your woodwork? If they are all the same, then simply freshen up the finish. If the seal is good, simply clean the woodwork....liquid gold, or Murphys oil soap cleans up woodwork nicely.
If you are seriously considering painting, staining...do not use a wood cleaner like Murphy's or Liquid gold.....I believe they have an oil that prohibits paint adherence.

Personally, if I had actual woodwork, rather than painted woodwork, I'd do everything I could to maintain the existing finish.

But, if your woodwork is not the beautiful wood of the older home....then perhaps painting it all one nice trim color.....a creamy white would look great. If that is your desire, do some research....you may have to sand it to get the finishes to accept paint.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasv View Post
Hi,

Thanks for any input.

It depends. Do you like the wood color? If you like it keep it. If not then paint. I would paint it white and also paint a nice color on the walls. I love having white trim pop against colored walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We've been painting our home for the past few months (weekend warrior). Our house is 17 years old and needed some refreshing. First we had the ceilings all painted bright white (flat). That made a huge difference in itself. Once we had that done, we could easily tell that we had no choice but to repaint the dingy white trim with a fresh coat. That too made a massive difference. Then we painted the walls.

I can tell you without question, the painting of the trim in our house has been a tremendous help in reversing the effective age of the home. We're using ultra white semi-gloss paint. Really makes a huge difference.

Mix in some Floetrol into the paint, and the finish will be perfect (no brush marks).

Here are a few photos to show the difference it can make. The one of the corner with the shutters, look closely at the crown molding heading from left into the corner and you can see where I was in the process when I took the photo. The door, look at the bay window above against the door trim below. The photo with the furniture, is the room when I was done with it. Baseboards, window trim, crown, all the same bright white semi-gloss. Wall is called "on the rocks", a light grey.

I'm waiting on the warmer weather, then all of the shutters are coming down and getting sprayed with the same bright white paint. Doors too.

I personally love ultra bright white trim. I think it lifts the mood of a home, brightens up the lighting, and really gives a nice "finished" look. But that might just be me...

I'm using builders-grade paint from Sherwin Williams. Duran paint, 2-gallons at a time, and last a long time. Each gets two coats. It's not the Ralph Lauren of paint brands, but it sure seems to hold up to two active little kids and their dirty friends. Easy to wipe clean, doesn't seem to fade or oxidize, and looks great!

It looks great. I never heard of Floetrol but I will keep it in mind. I haven't had any brush marks in a lot of years but you never now. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We use Sherwin Williams Pure White (7005) in Semi Gloss on the trim, and could not be happier.

Want a really great look?........ Paint the trim Pure White and then paint the doors a darker color to contrast with the walls. We use Latte (6108) on the walls and Tavern Taupe (7508 in Satin finish) on the doors. Take the doors off and remove all the hardware so you can do a good job and it makes the knobs and hinges POP!

Google up "Contrasting interior doors" and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks…I will check those colors out. Can you take a picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating