Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times

Advertisements

I don't get it, what's wrong with painting white over oak?? They're cheapo unfinished oak from Lowes in a 90K house and look really great in white with the mocha sandstone counters and dark walls. Is that some sort of cabinet faux pas, lol?

Usually I find the people that say that something can "never" be stylish are the people that end up looking incredibly outdated, as they hang onto whatever trends are going on instead of trying new things or going with what is best for a particular space. Sort of like the old ladies that still refuse to wear white shoes after Labor Day. Used in the right place and way, most things can be stylish. Personally, I am really happy with the choice of white cabinets in my kitchen and don't give a hoot what anyone else may think. I'd rather try something different that I enjoy than be another person with the dark cabinets and dark granite and stainless steel that every new McMansion has since it's the "safe" choice designed to impress the Jones'. Usually by the time most people think something's stylish it's actually a little passe and people with a true sense of style are trying something new. 'Trendy' is easy, you can just look at whatever everybody else is doing, in my opinion 'style' is more personal and creative than that; most of my favorite designers, for example de Giulio, know how to balance the two.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I shut up for awhile and just read. For the person who said they can not believe that a debate on white kitchens could be so ferocious, I agree. This topic surpassed some of the McCain VS obama threads.

The fact that there are quite a few people who still like such out of date white cabinets surprise me. If all these people exist why have they never walked in my store. I wonder if some are just hopping on the band wagon here.

We have one guy who is as wealthy as Brad Pitt bragging about white while others say yea yea yea. Then we have people painting white over oak. Then when proof is posted why white is out of style, some one lifts pictures from any site he can find showing large big money white kitchens. Yea that really looks like what most of us peons own.

So the debate carries on.......................................
Good summation I am one of those who have painted white over oak, well not me but my better half. White can be clean looking, but in a high end home it just seems like it needs some glaze or something JMO.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
LOL I had many of the same thoughts. Remember the double-sinks debate?

People are pretty ferocious about their homes .

I, personally am a fan of white cabinets, BUT i live in a 1930's home, in a 300K neighborhood in the Midwest and appreciate vintage furniture and design.

Is this "look" right for everyone? Of course not! People have to take 1) their personal taste and 2) the local (location location location!)real estate market in mind when ever making those choices.

Obviously (I would hope) one would make choices based upon their budget AND their real estate plans (i.e. is this my "dream home" or do I just want to cash out in a few years?).

The important thing to me? What can I cook in that kitchen?
Will my friends and family enjoy gathering there and what kind of parties/food will they remember?

Cherry, or ash, or painted, or even -gasp-white laminate, let's not lose sight of the big picture here folks!
Equally good points

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
I don't get it, what's wrong with painting white over oak?? They're cheapo unfinished oak from Lowes in a 90K house and look really great in white with the mocha sandstone counters and dark walls. Is that some sort of cabinet faux pas, lol?

Usually I find the people that say that something can "never" be stylish are the people that end up looking incredibly outdated, as they hang onto whatever trends are going on instead of trying new things or going with what is best for a particular space. Sort of like the old ladies that still refuse to wear white shoes after Labor Day. Used in the right place and way, most things can be stylish. Personally, I am really happy with the choice of white cabinets in my kitchen and don't give a hoot what anyone else may think. I'd rather try something different that I enjoy than be another person with the dark cabinets and dark granite and stainless steel that every new McMansion has since it's the "safe" choice designed to impress the Jones'. Usually by the time most people think something's stylish it's actually a little passe and people with a true sense of style are trying something new. 'Trendy' is easy, you can just look at whatever everybody else is doing, in my opinion 'style' is more personal and creative than that; most of my favorite designers, for example de Giulio, know how to balance the two.
More good points. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. For the most part, I just don't see white cabinets being popular in my area. I think that was the OP's question. I don't recall if she was asking from a resale perspective though. If you like it that's what's important. I also don't really care for the dark look many seem to be doing. I prefer the lighter wood tones with darker colors as accents.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
More good points. There is nothing inherently wrong with it. For the most part, I just don't see white cabinets being popular in my area. I think that was the OP's question. I don't recall if she was asking from a resale perspective though. If you like it that's what's important. I also don't really care for the dark look many seem to be doing. I prefer the lighter wood tones with darker colors as accents.
That's what I been saying all along. If you like it then by golly buy it. But the fact of the matter is white is out of style. I hate maple toffee but it is my #1 seller. I think it's the most gross color available but few agree with me. I dont like stainless appliances but everyone else does. And stainless is very in style now. Buy it if you like it but dont argue it is popular just cause you like it.

Nothing is more beautiful then a warm finish on wood. Most white kitchens are high gloss which is fugly. White paint is just plain disgusting especially if brushed on oak. Just ask the future home buyers what they think of it.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
That's what I been saying all along. If you like it then by golly buy it. But the fact of the matter is white is out of style. I hate maple toffee but it is my #1 seller. I think it's the most gross color available but few agree with me. I dont like stainless appliances but everyone else does. And stainless is very in style now. Buy it if you like it but dont argue it is popular just cause you like it.

Nothing is more beautiful then a warm finish on wood. Most white kitchens are high gloss which is fugly. White paint is just plain disgusting especially if brushed on oak. Just ask the future home buyers what they think of it.
I have to point out though, that oak can look "good" painted over. My husband did an excellent job. You can't see any grain. We are currently trying to sell the house and have had nothing but compliments from agents, photographer, open house visitors, but alas no buyer yet. We did add a new, hopefully matching, glass fronted white cabinet which helps. At any rate we look better than some of our comparables.

Every kitchen will sadly someday look dated, so unless you're planning to stay just a short time, one should really get what they like.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
I shut up for awhile and just read. For the person who said they can not believe that a debate on white kitchens could be so ferocious, I agree. This topic surpassed some of the McCain VS obama threads.

The fact that there are quite a few people who still like such out of date white cabinets surprise me. If all these people exist why have they never walked in my store. I wonder if some are just hopping on the band wagon here.

I honestly find your posts to be really quite rude and am not surprised at some of the comments Cootr made to you.
Many posters have pointed out to you that current kitchen magazines are full of white kitchens. Even if those of us who chose white kitchens are so out of date, the fact that kitchen magazines are full of white kitchens indicates that white kitchens are, in fact, currently very much IN style.

I have also told you that I am an agent who sells homes. A cheap, poorly done white kitchen will often be one of the things a buyer wants to get rid of. Especially the shiny cabinets unless they are super high end.
Wood cabinets painted white (either oak if done well, or like my old kitchen) can be absolutely beautiful and are often far more appealing to buyers than dark cabinets. A lot depends on the type of house the kitchen is going into.

Anyway, it sounds like you will be convinced that you are right and that those who like white cabinets are out of touch dinosaurs no matter what anyone says to you. It also sounds like you are trying to get people riled up. So don't be surprised when they get riled up.

For those people installing new, cheap cabinets with resale in mind - I would go with a wood finish (not oak). For those with oak cabinets, a professional looking painted finish can be beautiful and add a lot of value, especially with new hardware added. For those looking for a high end kitchen - the world is your oyster! When done well white kitchens are often more popular than wood colors, as pointed out by the poster who said that the Something's Gotta Give kitchen is the most copied kitchen ever. That alone speaks volumes in this discussion, no?

Last edited by Hobokenkitchen; 01-20-2009 at 06:32 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Ok, I'm surprised this thread is still going on.... Sorry to cause such a stir....

We were mainly looking for an easy cosmetic fix that will take us through the next 4 or 5 years. The kitchen is an eyesore to both me and my husband although I think a lot of people will probably say it's fine. But since we have to replace the counter and sink anyhow, we also thought to figure out what to do with our cabinets. But after reading through these posts and looking at pictures of white painted cabinets, that is the route we will go. A buyer will either like them and keep them or switch them out, no biggie I think. I'm not sure that white cabinets would be a deal breaker in my neighborhood. We will make them look very nice (my husband is a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that).

Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post

Also, do you have close up pictures of the fossils in the countertops. That sounds very organic and very unusual. This was a limestone?? [off to google "limestone"]
It is brushed limestone. I actually loved the 'polished' look of limestone, but it's very porous, and you would see inperfections quickly. Honed was an option, but the same problem really. Brushed gives it the organic look you mentioned, so inperfections blend in better. It was funny while we were choosing we would go out for dinner carrying three small samples of granite and limestone, and dump sauce and wine on them to see how they would hold up.
I will admit that we sealed, and resealed the counter 5 odd times before I felt comfortable putting red wine on it.

I can't find my files of photos on my computer to see if I have super close ups. I took so many pictures that I would think I must have some! DH will look when he gets home. I did find these on kodackgallery which is where I back up almost all of our pictures in case the computer crashes. I know it's not what you're looking for, but you may get a better idea of the texture and color at least. The best 'fossil' was a small white shell. It was an absolute hit when kids came to look at the house when it was for sale too.

From before the kitchen was complete. You can kind of see the wavy lines/ veins and inperfections in this picture a bit better. Just to add that we spent a lot of time looking for the exact brushed slab that we wanted too. No two are exactly alike so you need to find one you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Ok, I'm surprised this thread is still going on.... Sorry to cause such a stir....

We were mainly looking for an easy cosmetic fix that will take us through the next 4 or 5 years. The kitchen is an eyesore to both me and my husband although I think a lot of people will probably say it's fine. But since we have to replace the counter and sink anyhow, we also thought to figure out what to do with our cabinets. But after reading through these posts and looking at pictures of white painted cabinets, that is the route we will go. A buyer will either like them and keep them or switch them out, no biggie I think. I'm not sure that white cabinets would be a deal breaker in my neighborhood. We will make them look very nice (my husband is a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that).
Sandycat - don't be worried about causing a stir - your thread is a hit!

Would you like to post pictures of your current cainets so that we can give you ideas? I am sure the white will work great! Of course there are so many different shades of white (and you don't want pure, brilliant white), so no doubt you'll have hours agonizing over just which shade of white to go for. Ahh the joys of kitchen remodels!

Last edited by Hobokenkitchen; 01-20-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Ok I'm going to try to post some pics of my kitchen. Any ideas are welcome. This is what we are thinking: wood floors through kitchen and dining, paint cabinets white, new counter (not sure what kind, thinking solid surface like corian), paint on the wall (not sure what color, dining room is yellow on top, brown on bottom, kitchen opens to family room which is green).
Attached Thumbnails
Are white cabinets ever stylish??-diningroom.jpg   Are white cabinets ever stylish??-kitchen1.jpg   Are white cabinets ever stylish??-kitchen2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating