Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the Acura RDX 2012. It takes "premium gas"?
I see the 2013 is a TOTAL new design. I really want to purchase this SUV, however "Premium" gas @ .30-.40 more per gal. is NUTS! $4.09 for premium.

I was also checking out Acura's ILX coming out this year. That too takes premium gas. Do all Acuras take premium gas? I'd figure since it was made by Honda, it would have better gas/octane levels like my Accord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The RDX is turbocharged. While modern cars are tuned to be able to run on regular gas even when premium is recommended, I consider it a very good idea to always run premium when forced induction is involved unless it has been optimized by the manufacturer to run on regular even with forced induction. I don't know of any such forced-induction cars off the top of my head but I'm sure there's at least one or two.

When premium is recommended, it's usually best to follow the recommendation even when the car is normally aspirated. While you "can" use regular, it will result in degradation of engine performance, occasional pinging, and reduced fuel economy.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The RDX is turbocharged. While modern cars are tuned to be able to run on regular gas even when premium is recommended, I consider it a very good idea to always run premium when forced induction is involved unless it has been optimized by the manufacturer to run on regular even with forced induction. I don't know of any such forced-induction cars off the top of my head but I'm sure there's at least one or two.

When premium is recommended, it's usually best to follow the recommendation even when the car is normally aspirated. While you "can" use regular, it will result in degradation of engine performance, occasional pinging, and reduced fuel economy.
Oh I agree with you 100%
The results of NOT using premium, are exactly what I have read with the Acura's.

I think I'll stick to Another Accord (coupe) when it gets redesigned this year.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Oh I agree with you 100%
The results of NOT using premium, are exactly what I have read with the Acura's.

I think I'll stick to Another Accord (coupe) when it gets redesigned this year.

Thanks!
There's no guarantee it won't have "recommended premium" as well. The reason why so many cars have gone to the premium recommendation is because it's easier to achieve fuel economy targets with higher compression ratios, which in turn are easier to manage with premium fuel. On the other hand, with gasoline direct injection becoming more common and the improved combustion chamber cooling that comes with it, maybe we'll see the trend toward "premium recommended" slow or even reverse.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
There's no guarantee it won't have "recommended premium" as well. The reason why so many cars have gone to the premium recommendation is because it's easier to achieve fuel economy targets with higher compression ratios, which in turn are easier to manage with premium fuel. On the other hand, with gasoline direct injection becoming more common and the improved combustion chamber cooling that comes with it, maybe we'll see the trend toward "premium recommended" slow or even reverse.
I doubt the new Accord will require premium fuel. It just wouldn't fit with the Accord's target buyer. Otherwise I agree with you.

Note that Mazda's new "Skyactiv" engines achieve very high compression ratios (>13 to 1) with regular fuel.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:

I thought the newest RDX was dumping the turbo-4 and going to an N/A V6.

Either way, it still probably uses Premium. The imports typically use it as a way to get better performance out of their premium brands. If you want a luxury SUV that uses regular, you will have to buy a Cadillac SRX or a Buick Enclave.

As far as turbos go, most will say premium required, but I believe both the Buick Regal Turbo (not the GS) and Hyundai/Kia Sonata/Optima can run on regular (and not just in emergency limp home conditions.)

Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I was looking at the Acura RDX 2012. It takes "premium gas"?
I see the 2013 is a TOTAL new design. I really want to purchase this SUV, however "Premium" gas @ .30-.40 more per gal. is NUTS! $4.09 for premium.

I was also checking out Acura's ILX coming out this year. That too takes premium gas. Do all Acuras take premium gas? I'd figure since it was made by Honda, it would have better gas/octane levels like my Accord.
The American motorist is always very sensitive to $/gallon, but not inclined to figure out $/mile. If you did, you would probably find that the Acura costs little more per mile as it gets better MPG on premium. My M3 gets better cruise mileage than a same year 325i (I have owned both).

Or maybe not, maybe the Acura is just set up for performance rather than economy - if you want a more economical Acura, what you want is a Honda, IMHO.

Acura cars are not aimed at a frugal buyer.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
I was told by an Acura sales rep at the LA International Auto Show three months ago that all Acuras require premium fuel, and I'm sure that's been the case for a few years.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Acura is a joke. Premium fuel for non premium products.

Hilarious

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
The new ILX is pretty much a luxary Civic, I'm surprised that it will also require premium gas given the engine lineup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura