Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 AM

241 posts, read 543,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
My F-150 fits perfectly in them! No one is going to get mad at you or punish you for doing it.
I disagree; you WILL be annoying people. SUV's parking in compact spaces usually leave very little room for the rest of us who are trying to use those spaces with genuinely small cars. Major pet peeve of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,414,824 times
I park my TSX in them all the time. It fits with plenty of room to spare. My legacy is a little tighter. There's no law...just common courtesy.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
But it's still a bit wide. No? Or wider than a true 'compact car." Putting it in a slightly narrower space still is inconsiderate, or at least not wise. If you get a dent in the side....don't complain.

When people squeeze me in by parking to close to the side line, I make sure I bump their car with my door (which has protective guards on the edges.). If you don't want to get bumped don't park on the line of the space, or put an SUV in a compact spot. Is it that hard to park in the middle of a parking space?

The current CRV is about 2.5" wider than a Civic.
So you purposely try to damage other people's cars? Nice.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,030,089 times
we have a newer crv as well as a mustang; i avoid those 'compact' spaces whenever i can. Heck seems many spots in parking garages these days were made only for smart cars and our rides are tight enough in those regular spots, let alone grabbing something designated for a car i do not own.

The idea is not to bang someone else's door, and have them not bang mine, so i'll park where it makes sense space-wise even if that means a few more steps walking. If i cant deal with that, then no sense being out there in the first place.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Just use common sense and park in a space that provides enough room for you and any passengers to exit without bumping the cars next to you. Even some spaces not marked compact are too small, as people try to squeeze in as many as they can. I often park my Ranger (compact truck 202.9" long, 70.3" wide) in compact spaces, unless it's a short space or the other people are crowding the line. There are no parking space police except when it comes to handicap spaces. If you are so wide that you go right up to both white lines, someone may get mad and key you if they can't fit next to you and have to park farther away.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,354,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
In my work parking garage and others "compact" spaces are SHORTER. So if your car is too long it won't fit into the length of the space. So it risks getting hit. In some garages they're also a little narrower, to the parking is tighter.
As I'd stated in the OP, the spaces are the same length/width as all others... no need to SHOUT. I've seen some short spaces, too (more rare here, from what I've seen)... & some compact only spaces which are oddly angled, almost in a semi-circle, mainly in office complexes... even with my old 2-seater Geo Metro, I wouldn't use those spaces... they're just a bit too tight for comfort.

Quote:
But this is another example of people not being courteous or caring about others.
Common sense - which isn't so common -- is that a Honda CRV is NOT what's meant by a compact vehicle, and not should be parked in a 'compact' space. (whether the garage is full or not)

AND people with long trucks, or hummers, or vans -- park some place else. If you get keyed you deserve it. That's no different from parking on the line between spaces and hogging up two spots. If your truck is so long that the rear encroaches into the spot behind it, why can't you be courteous enough to park farther away from the first parking spots?
I guess because that would meaning of someone OTHER than yourself.
Calm down, cranky old man & take a refreshing walk. I simply inquired... I'm not driving about the city in an RV looking to pilfer handicapped spots from little old ladies or take up spaces I don't belong in... it was a question on definition as Honda lists my 2011 CR-V as 'compact'... nothing more.

Now step away from the computer... isn't this the time of day you chase baby kittens out of your yard. Lighten up, dude... seriously.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,169,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
That Honda car is so large I would park as far away as possible out near the Ford F350 quad cab DRW vehicles, because it is just so awesome.
Oh, look, another thread in which MrWillys extols the virtues of a car that has nothing to do with the topic. We get it, you like big cars. Enough, already.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,169,192 times
If your car fits in the space while allowing your neighbors to open their doors and get into their cars comfortably, by all means park in it and don't worry about the "compact" designation. If you find the sides of your CR-V spilling over the parking spot lines - don't. Like a poster above said - just use common sense.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
Actually, they go in the "Reserved for extremely ugly vehicles" spot.

(The new ones)

Old 03-04-2014, 03:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Actually, they go in the "Reserved for extremely ugly vehicles" spot.

(The new ones)

Parking space for poopers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura