Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 PM

683 posts, read 4,618,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Carbon monoxide is not your problem. House-leveling explosions are. And yes, having your house blow up around you is unhealthy.

If the pilot light keeps going out, there's something wrong. Start off with something simple: Is your stove in the line of a draft? Do you have a fan or ceiling fan going? It doesn't take much to blow out the pilot. Did the person from the gas company say anything about the possibility of reduced gas pressure? Or perhaps a clogged valve or intake?
Now that I think about it--maybe it has been from draft. Since I live in a studio, if I open a couple windows, the draft is kind of everywhere in here. Maybe that's been it, especially if the flame was on too low. But, I'd love to be able to open a window every once in a while--or walk out my door for that matter! Geez, now I'd rather just get rid of the stupid stove and use my microwave exclusively! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
The pilot was low and has now been adjusted. Keep your eye on it for a few days.....the problem may have been solved.
If it continues, request a replacement from the landlord.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Since I live in a studio, if I open a couple windows, the draft is kind of everywhere in here. Maybe that's been it, especially if the flame was on too low.
Well, since the guy from the gas company adjusted the pilot, the issue probably won't come back (or go away, as the case may be ). Check it every now and then, but it should be OK now.

There really isn't that much that will go wrong with a gas stove, especially an older one like yours with no electronic start; you have just encountered one of the things that can go wrong.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,783,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Wow, you obviously don't live in California! I pay $850 a month.

I moved in 1995 from the Bay Area. At one point, I had a 225 per month (inc util) rent control unit, and it had a crappy stove, that was worthless and a hazard in a four-plex worth about 400K (then). I've heard that it is now 800+ per month! Maybe you are in my old place in Berkeley.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM

683 posts, read 4,618,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I moved in 1995 from the Bay Area. At one point, I had a 225 per month (inc util) rent control unit, and it had a crappy stove, that was worthless and a hazard in a four-plex worth about 400K (then). I've heard that it is now 800+ per month! Maybe you are in my old place in Berkeley.

Haha, I don't live in Berkeley, I imagine it would be more there. $225, that is insane! But for the record, I really love my apartment...the price is lower than anything around (without roommates), and everyone compliments the "cool" factor of the stove--but obviously as I've learned, looking cool doesn't mean it really is cool, haha.

Good news...none of the pilots have gone out since Sunday! ha. Maybe I shouldn't have written that (knock on wood), better go check them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House