Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 PM

683 posts, read 4,618,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Mel2882, I hope you are kidding. Gas isn't something you want to mess with. Get it fixed.
It just seems like it couldn't really be that bad if they gas company just checked it out last week. Most people can't even see their pilots, right? I am able to because my stove is so old and it's right out there, and I checked because I am paranoid about everything (reason I posted this). Now I'm way more paranoid than in the beginning! Oh well...like I said, I called and they are coming again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,784,676 times
did that burner get wet? never sub-merge burners.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Default ah, peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
did that burner get wet? never sub-merge burners.
? No.

Final update (for now): So the gas co. came, re-lit it, and I did a little practice session so I know how to light it from now on . He said it indeed could fill up my tiny room within half a day (good I've had my windows open). I asked him about any underlying causes, and he said the old ones are just really tempermental...everything else looked good. He also turned the flame up a bit since it was on really low...said it shouldn't go out quite as easily anymore. No problems with any blockage, he said the color of the pilot looked good.

Props to the gas company, he told me I could call them everyday to come light my pilot if I want to (I won't)!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Whew! I feel better now.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,055 times
Old stoves are just tempermental????? Older stoves may simply be unsafe. Our gas companies inspect the stoves and other appliances to ensure their safety. Not safe? No gas. Simple. Either you have a draft which is blowing out the pilot or there is something wrong with the stove. Either way it is not safe.You need to know what your problem is and get it corrected. Want to bet your life on it? Go for it. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't safe.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
Quote:
Mel2882, I hope you are kidding. Gas isn't something you want to mess with. Get it fixed.

If that was in my house, I would just buy a new stove. I am assuming your life and your familys life is most definetely worth the cost of a stove.
I think here in NY it is illegal to have stoves with ilot lights anymore, as they are all electric starts.

That would scare the sheeet out of me. I would not care what it cost, I would buy a new stove.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If that was in my house, I would just buy a new stove. I am assuming your life and your familys life is most definetely worth the cost of a stove.
I think here in NY it is illegal to have stoves with ilot lights anymore, as they are all electric starts.

That would scare the sheeet out of me. I would not care what it cost, I would buy a new stove.
I live in an apartment and can't just buy a new stove. Each apartment I've ever lived in in Chicago and in California (over 5) have all been gas...meaning they've all had pilot lights. This is just the first "antique" stove I've had, so I don't trust it as much.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Old stoves are just tempermental????? Older stoves may simply be unsafe. Our gas companies inspect the stoves and other appliances to ensure their safety. Not safe? No gas. Simple. Either you have a draft which is blowing out the pilot or there is something wrong with the stove. Either way it is not safe.You need to know what your problem is and get it corrected. Want to bet your life on it? Go for it. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't safe.
Yikes. I'm not looking to bet my life on it-- I'm obviously worried about it...but I worry a lot about things I shouldn't, so I'm trying not to be paranoid. I do not have much control as my landlord isn't going to just go buy new stoves for everyone in the building because my pilot light went out twice. There are many things I don't know much about (such as gas stoves) so sometimes I'm not sure what's serious or not...obviously from posts on here I've learned that no pilot light is serious. So what should I do...hope each night when I go to bed that the pilot light is going to stay on? Or what about if I leave for a couple days? Right now (from reading posts on here) I feel like I need to go check on my stove every 5 minutes or I might have an explosion. The thing is, I moved in a month ago. The gas company has been here 3 times...once to just check everything out before I started using it, and twice to turn the pilot light on. None of them have told me I was unsafe or acted like I should try to get a new stove. Hopefully out of three people that work for the gas company, they'd know what they were talking about. Right?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,784,676 times
So now I'm curious. How much do you pay per month to live in a place like that? I paid 18,500 for the whole house and 319 for the brand new gas stove.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
So now I'm curious. How much do you pay per month to live in a place like that? I paid 18,500 for the whole house and 319 for the brand new gas stove.
Wow, you obviously don't live in California! I pay $850 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House