Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,678 times

Advertisements

I have an old Western Holly stove in the apartment I'm renting. It's from the 50's (maybe)? The other day I had a friend tell me it smelled like gas. I couldn't smell it unless I put my head right up to it, but she's pregnant so she can detect better than me! I had the gas company come, he checked it and apparently the pilot was out on one burner. He said it's not a big deal, that it's too small an amount of gas to do anything. He re-lit it, and told me just to relight it if it goes out again. (I told him, sure, no big deal...)

Well here we are a week later and it's out again. Again, I can't smell it but maybe I'm just used to it? Had some people over last night that could smell it too, but didn't act like it was horrible...I realize it is normal for it to smell a bit when the pilot isn't lit. Anyway, my questions are: If I leave it unlit, will it be unhealthy as far as gas goes? My apartment is a studio of about 350 sq ft. I'm not gonna lie, I am a little apprehensive to relight it myself because I don't really know how and am scared I'll make it explode or something (I know, sounds dramatic but I don't want to light gas without knowing what to do!).

Any help is appreciated, I really don't want to call the gas company every weekend when it burns out, lol. Thanks!

PS. My apartment is not a complex and we don't have maintenence or anything, landlord is not on the property and probably has no idea about anything, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
Do you only have a window for venting? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Do you only have a window for venting? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?
There's a hole right above the stove in the ceiling, but I think it was for whatever was here before...my building was built in 1929. No, I don't have a carbon monoxide detector, but the gas company just just here last week and used their little wand thing that I'm sure would have detected something.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
buy one at Wal-mart for 16 Bucks, it will give you piece of mind. Crack a window if you can.........
I just bought a brand new Whirlpool gas range for about 350. Semi-sealed burners, door window, clock, nice iron grates...............

Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Carbon monoxide is not your problem. House-leveling explosions are. And yes, having your house blow up around you is unhealthy.

If the pilot light keeps going out, there's something wrong. Start off with something simple: Is your stove in the line of a draft? Do you have a fan or ceiling fan going? It doesn't take much to blow out the pilot. Did the person from the gas company say anything about the possibility of reduced gas pressure? Or perhaps a clogged valve or intake?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Carbon monoxide is not your problem. House-leveling explosions are. And yes, having your house blow up around you is unhealthy.

If the pilot light keeps going out, there's something wrong. Start off with something simple: Is your stove in the line of a draft? Do you have a fan or ceiling fan going? It doesn't take much to blow out the pilot. Did the person from the gas company say anything about the possibility of reduced gas pressure? Or perhaps a clogged valve or intake?

No, he didn't say anything. Mainly he said if it goes out again to just light it. Maybe I should call them to come back and see why it keeps going out? I don't open the windows in the kitchen, and there isn't a fan, so I don't think it would blow out that way--besides, it is the same burner each time. The other day when it was lit, I tried turning it on, and it would only burn a really small flame (my other burners' flames are huge!). Do you really think my building could explode from a pilot going out? Really? I don't know much but that seems kind of extreme to me. ?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Sounds like you've got a clog or malfunction somewhere that's restricting the gas flow.

Natural gas has no odor; gas companies add a scent to alert people when there's a leak. Why? Gas leak + spark = kaboom! It's not extreme; it's a fact.

Get your stove looked at. Yesterday. Be safe.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
I have an old Western Holly stove in the apartment I'm renting. It's from the 50's (maybe)? The other day I had a friend tell me it smelled like gas. I couldn't smell it unless I put my head right up to it, but she's pregnant so she can detect better than me! I had the gas company come, he checked it and apparently the pilot was out on one burner. He said it's not a big deal, that it's too small an amount of gas to do anything. He re-lit it, and told me just to relight it if it goes out again. (I told him, sure, no big deal...)

Well here we are a week later and it's out again. Again, I can't smell it but maybe I'm just used to it? Had some people over last night that could smell it too, but didn't act like it was horrible...I realize it is normal for it to smell a bit when the pilot isn't lit. Anyway, my questions are: If I leave it unlit, will it be unhealthy as far as gas goes? My apartment is a studio of about 350 sq ft. I'm not gonna lie, I am a little apprehensive to relight it myself because I don't really know how and am scared I'll make it explode or something (I know, sounds dramatic but I don't want to light gas without knowing what to do!).

Any help is appreciated, I really don't want to call the gas company every weekend when it burns out, lol. Thanks!

PS. My apartment is not a complex and we don't have maintenence or anything, landlord is not on the property and probably has no idea about anything, haha.
Pilot lights go out on gas stoves all the time. It is not something that is unusual. If you are going to have a gas stove, you better get used to relighting them all the time.

I would just check them before I go to bed at night and if one needs to be lit, then do it then. I don't think that even in a tiny apartment that there would be enough gas to cause you any harm. Since your smeller is not the greatest, just check them more often.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-06-2011, 05:47 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Mel2882, I hope you are kidding. Gas isn't something you want to mess with. Get it fixed.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds like you've got a clog or malfunction somewhere that's restricting the gas flow.

Natural gas has no odor; gas companies add a scent to alert people when there's a leak. Why? Gas leak + spark = kaboom! It's not extreme; it's a fact.

Get your stove looked at. Yesterday. Be safe.
Called them, they're coming today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House